Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Has anybody found Red Dead Redemption to be buggy & boring?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Before I begin, a little bit of back story and let me make one thing clear. I personally could not wait patiently for this game to come out this month.

Being the impatient and easily excited bugger that I am,  I literally called up various games stores in the UK, just to check if they had it in stock early, so I could get playing it at the same time as my American neighbours across the Atlantic.  I went to extreme lengths to knock a little bit of money off the game too, as I found myself trading in a game that I had not even beaten towards it, in the form of 'Alan Wake'. This wouldn't have been the case, however, if Asda Wall*Mart had not completely boycotted the release of the game due to a pricing dispute, as I normally get a fair discount off full priced games because I work behind the Entertainment desk there.

However, as I said, I managed to eventually get the game for a decent, affordable price by trading in the incompleted 'Alan Wake' - which I have to admit, was quite poo anyway. But that's another story, which I'll probably post about some other time (or not).

When I fired the game up, I was in awe at the opening cutscene, as it really set the tone and mood for the game, as our hero sits quiety inamongst petty talk of lower and upper class citizenship, the fall of the west and the rise of industry in the east and even a few dated, yet obviously relevant opinions on man's purpose in this world altogether.

However, it wasn't before too long that I found myself going through a somewhat endless list of tutorial based missions, which got you used to your surroundings. I decided to ignore how tedious this section was, as I really couldn't have seen Rockstar introduce a lot of the game's concepts any other way, apart from maybe diving you straight into the action and flashing commands up on the screen rapidly....but c'mon - we live in a day and age of casual gamers, so we need to let them catch up somehow and adjust!

OK - the tutorial missions are forgiven.....however, the bordom for me, was far from over.

The travelling is a nightmare early on. Hell, even when I had enough money from looting to pay for an instant journey coach, I still found myself accidently hijacking the damn thing because of the sometimes unpredictable magnet control system of the character...if you press 'Y' (or triangle) just a fraction away from the passenger door - Mr. Martson will just swagger on up to the driver and fuck him until he submits his coach to you - along with giving you a nice big wanted metre above your head...lovely.

I digress. The point is - I quite liked galloping around the landscapes...the first time around...but when you have to repeat doing so again and again....you really begin to wish you could hitchhike with other coaches on the road, instead of them speeding past you without a second computer generated thought.

Another thing I found boring, was the atmosphere. I love the soundtrack when you're in a tense situation but as for the guitar plunks that you hear for a good duration of the game's core...it's like chewing glass. I know Rockstar were really craving for realism here but really - sometimes it just sucks the fun out of the experience.

I just wanted a good moan.....I am still a fan of the game and who knows - what I find tediously boring right now might in fact grow on me over time! I was just wondering if anybody else shared these problems with it? Or is it just me being too critical of a game that can't really help be anything other than what it is?

I also have a problem with the second level of the Dead eye targetting system - but I've seen a lot of posts on that already around here, so I won't bother going into that. However, did anybody have any problems accidently killing civilians during missions? And getting hilariously awful checkpoint drawback as a result of it? One time the Marshall accidently ran over a citizen as he rode into town and *I* got the fucking blame for it, when I was on foot at the time. Or how about when you accidently smash your horse into a random generated character during a mission (who shouldn't even appear by all means) and then the mission effectively ending because you broke the law....

....the multiplayer is exactly the same as GTAIV too, with slight improvements.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Trilogy

I respect your opinion. I also completely disagree with just about every point. 

I'll give you that second level dead is awkward but after unlocking level three, I have no issues with it. The probably should of just went from level one to level three and called it a day. Other than that, this is probably my favorite game of the year so far.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Trilogy said:
    " I respect your opinion. I also completely disagree with just about every point.   I'll give you that second level dead is awkward but after unlocking level three, I have no issues with it. The probably should of just went from level one to level three and called it a day. Other than that, this is probably my favorite game of the year so far. "
    Im with you. Plus there is fast travel. No one is forcing you to ride all the time unless you are going to a new area. 
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xMP44x

I have had no problems of that kind with you. Maybe you do, but I don't. If you dislike travelling around the landscape you can shorten times by using the Camp. Press the Back button on your controller to open the Satchel and select to use the Camp. Fast travel to your requested location, and that's that! Personally, I like the online, but it seems a little bit too reward-based.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Yeah but I just pointed out the issue I had with fast travel...if you had read it properly. What I should have gone on to say, was that once you've accidently hijacked the damn fast travel coach, not only do you have a wanted sign over your damn head but you also have to leave town before the fast travel option becomes active again...this has happened to me more than once, can yoooou tell!?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JerichoBlyth said:

" Yeah but I just pointed out the issue I had with fast travel...if you had read it properly. What I should have gone on to say, was that once you've accidently hijacked the damn fast travel coach, not only do you have a wanted sign over your damn head but you also have to leave town before the fast travel option becomes active again...this has happened to me more than once, can yoooou tell!? "

You can fast travel from camp fire. You can also get in from the other side. Or just ride shot gun. 
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Wow - I admitidly did not know you could fast travel from a campfire....what happens? Does he hold a match to his arse and launch himself to a new location via projectile flautulence?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JerichoBlyth said:
    " Wow - I admitidly did not know you could fast travel from a campfire....what happens? Does he hold a match to his arse and launch himself to a new location via projectile flautulence? "
    He kicks out the camp fire and then it fades to black. A load screen comes up and bam your there. I am assuming he gets on his horse and heads off. 
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Coombs
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
    " Wow - I admitidly did not know you could fast travel from a campfire....what happens? Does he hold a match to his arse and launch himself to a new location via projectile flautulence? "
    He kicks out the camp fire and then it fades to black. A load screen comes up and bam your there. I am assuming he gets on his horse and heads off.  "
    I like his scenario better
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude
    @JerichoBlyth said:
    Now you're just trolling. I thought that was just a long troll post. Sorry, you are now being flamed.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xMP44x
    @JerichoBlyth said:
    Nope. A cutscene and some teleportation. Just because it's 1910, he's still technologically advanced, it would appear.

" Yeah but I just pointed out the issue I had with fast travel...if you had read it properly. What I should have gone on to say, was that once you've accidently hijacked the damn fast travel coach, not only do you have a wanted sign over your damn head but you also have to leave town before the fast travel option becomes active again...this has happened to me more than once, can yoooou tell!? "

I did read your post through properly, or so I thought. Fast Travel isn't really too essential, unless from Thieves Landing or somewhere far away to Armadillo. Most points are fairly close by, so going to Armadillo and travelling manually from there on is a quick and easy system for getting around. Once you are wanted, it's not too hard to evade the enemies, even if you're on a coach.  Fast Travel is not that essential either, I don't think. I feel that a lot of the spirit and charm of the game is in the free roaming and encountering people who need help.
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JerichoBlyth
    @Claude said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
    Now you're just trolling. I thought that was just a long troll post. Sorry, you are now being flamed. "

To be honest - it was an attack against the concept. How on Earth is that supposed to make sense? I mean really...fast travelling through camping...it makes no sense. Tent's used to restore HP/MP back in my day. Kindly shut the fuck up and quit using internet cliche's such as 'troll'. It's boring.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xMP44x
    @JerichoBlyth said:
     To be honest - it was an attack against the concept. How on Earth is that supposed to make sense? I mean really...fast travelling through camping...it makes no sense. Tent's used to restore HP/MP back in my day. Kindly shut the fuck up and quit using internet cliche's such as 'troll'. It's boring. "
    It doesn't. Games don't have to make sense. Want realism? Go play Project Reality for Battlefield, or Operation Flashpoint on PC. That's realism. And for the record: I would not class the term 'troll' as a cliche. It's a valid term in some cases. While I don't honestly think you're trolling, I imagine other people may have different view points. And remember:

• Oblivion's fast travel was through clicking somewhere on your map.
    • Fallout 3's was the same as Oblivion's.
    • Fable II's was the same as Oblivion's and Fallout 3's.
    • Quick Travel is not intended to be realism at its finest.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp

Thankfully TC I am enjoying this game completely. I don't think I've played a game that lived up to its hype, and RDR does just that as far as single player. I can travel through that western setting all day as long as it promises to offer a varied mission at the end that lets me live out some cowboy fantasies I've been wanting to play for the longest time.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JerichoBlyth
    @xMP44x said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
     To be honest - it was an attack against the concept. How on Earth is that supposed to make sense? I mean really...fast travelling through camping...it makes no sense. Tent's used to restore HP/MP back in my day. Kindly shut the fuck up and quit using internet cliche's such as 'troll'. It's boring. "
    It doesn't. Games don't have to make sense. Want realism? Go play Project Reality for Battlefield, or Operation Flashpoint on PC. That's realism. And for the record: I would not class the term 'troll' as a cliche. It's a valid term in some cases. While I don't honestly think you're trolling, I imagine other people may have different view points. And remember:

"
    You're still not getting my point. 

To be honest, I do not recall a tutorial screen explaining the process of teleportation camping. Therefore, I wouldn't assume you could do that...at all....I mean, at least games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion explain in on the hub in case you missed a tutorial...somewhere!

My overall point however, is...I've only just bought the game today...I've played it for 6, maybe 8 hours...I've encountered a lot of bugs and I've found it boring in areas...I was just getting my opinion out there - but since it has provoked such a reaction - I have to say, it has all become very interesting indeed. Such urgency to defend it.

How about this? I'll post another topic when I've beaten the game and tell you all if anything else happens to fuck my experience up. 

Someone can close this now if they like :- )
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @JerichoBlyth said:

" @xMP44x said:

" @JerichoBlyth said:

"
    You're still not getting my point.   To be honest, I do not recall a tutorial screen explaining the process of teleportation camping. Therefore, I wouldn't assume you could do that...at all....I mean, at least games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion explain in on the hub in case you missed a tutorial...somewhere! My overall point however, is...I've only just bought the game today...I've played it for 6, maybe 8 hours...I've encountered a lot of bugs and I've found it boring in areas...I was just getting my opinion out there - but since it has provoked such a reaction - I have to say, it has all become very interesting indeed. Such urgency to defend it.  How about this? I'll post another topic when I've beaten the game and tell you all if anything else happens to fuck my experience up.   Someone can close this now if they like :- ) "
    I am yet to see a bug. Also. You are correct. Fast travel is explained first time you use camp fire.  

The game has great depth that can be explored. (I am using PS3)  

If you have any issues check out the " ask me anything" Thread I made a bit ago. 
    borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By borgmaster

I didn't find it boring. But that game is glitched and bugged to all hell...piece of shit canceled out my bandolier! and I can't get a new one!

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xMP44x
    @JerichoBlyth said:

You're still not getting my point.   To be honest, I do not recall a tutorial screen explaining the process of teleportation camping. Therefore, I wouldn't assume you could do that...at all....I mean, at least games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion explain in on the hub in case you missed a tutorial...somewhere! My overall point however, is...I've only just bought the game today...I've played it for 6, maybe 8 hours...I've encountered a lot of bugs and I've found it boring in areas...I was just getting my opinion out there - but since it has provoked such a reaction - I have to say, it has all become very interesting indeed. Such urgency to defend it.  How about this? I'll post another topic when I've beaten the game and tell you all if anything else happens to fuck my experience up.   Someone can close this now if they like :- ) "

Right! Now, I'm getting your point. Oddly though, I do remember a screen explaining that the camp can be used to teleport. I saw it near the start, at the MacFarlane Ranch, IIRC. However, I'm not going to force my opinion on you. You shared your opinion with respect, and the least I can do is share my view on your opinion in a similar manner, no? I've played the game since I got it today as well. If you're not enjoying it, keep playing and I guarantee you will get some great fun from it. Remember:

If you are going through hell, keep going.

Quote from Winston Churchill that may be of benefit. Or not. It's just a quote that fitted, I guess.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By jkz
    @JerichoBlyth said:
    "I know Rockstar were really craving for realism here but really - sometimes it just sucks the fun out of the experience."
     And Then 

@JerichoBlyth said: 
    Do you see the conflicting nature of these two statements, or am I just entirely mis-reading your statements.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Doctorchimp

Yeah hold on...

TC complains about all the needless galloping around...but then hates on fast travel?

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JerichoBlyth
    @xMP44x said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:

Right! Now, I'm getting your point. Oddly though, I do remember a screen explaining that the camp can be used to teleport. I saw it near the start, at the MacFarlane Ranch, IIRC. However, I'm not going to force my opinion on you. You shared your opinion with respect, and the least I can do is share my view on your opinion in a similar manner, no? I've played the game since I got it today as well. If you're not enjoying it, keep playing and I guarantee you will get some great fun from it. Remember:

If you are going through hell, keep going.

Quote from Winston Churchill that may be of benefit. Or not. It's just a quote that fitted, I guess. "

I will keep that in mind. Nice to see someone who has a little bit of compassion on an internet-based forum lol

I should really stick to replying...........perhaps this would have made a good twitter post? I don't even have twitter. Sod it.

For the record - this is the Xbox 360 version...and yes...it is very buggy.

One time, I punched a guy in a bar...he punched me back and I landed outside, around a mile away from town...like teleportation...ah, now it makes sense!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @JerichoBlyth said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
    Now you're just trolling. I thought that was just a long troll post. Sorry, you are now being flamed. "
    You're acting kind of stupid... you complain about how the game is being ruined in some respects because they are realistic, and yet you also complain when the game attempts to be a game, and allows you to fast travel...
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By trophyhunter

Yes very buggy but boring not at all.
    Red dead redemption is the first rockstar game I've actually enjoyed.
    It's because this is the first time they ever told a good story with likable characters. 
    I thought GTA 4 was a compete pile of shit.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xMP44x
    @JerichoBlyth said:
      I will keep that in mind. Nice to see someone who has a little bit of compassion on an internet-based forum lol I should really stick to replying...........perhaps this would have made a good twitter post? I don't even have twitter. Sod it.  For the record - this is the Xbox 360 version...and yes...it is very buggy.  One time, I punched a guy in a bar...he punched me back and I landed outside, around a mile away from town...like teleportation...ah, now it makes sense! "
    I spend enough time on internet forums, I should hopefully know to have some compassion for other gamers on them ;)
    As for this making a Twitter post, I don't think so. Can you condense your original thoughts into 140 characters? Exactly. If any service springs to mind for the subject, a blog is the easiest way to go. But this makes an interesting forum topic so I think it's good as it is. I remember bugging when in Armadillo. I jumped for a roof and missed it, so I went to grab my horse. Once I pressed Y at my horse, I went hovering in the air through buildings, before pulling myself up onto the roof I could not reach. I was like "WTF?", before it changed to "LOLWIN".
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JerichoBlyth
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
    "I know Rockstar were really craving for realism here but really - sometimes it just sucks the fun out of the experience."
     And Then 

@JerichoBlyth said: 
    Do you see the conflicting nature of these two statements, or am I just entirely mis-reading your statements. "

That has nothing to do with anything and has been taken completely out of context.

You would make a very good tabloid journalist.

What I was saying in that second post you happened to quote there, was that the concept of fast-traveling through camping wasn't obvious enough.....now go back to whatever it is you're doing and think harder about making a point next time.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By luce

This game is very buggy. Many critics commented on that

However i disagree with every other point you made

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By jkz
    @JerichoBlyth said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
     And Then 

@JerichoBlyth said: 
    Do you see the conflicting nature of these two statements, or am I just entirely mis-reading your statements. "
     That has nothing to do with anything and has been taken completely out of context.  You would make a very good tabloid journalist.  What I was saying in that second post you happened to quote there, was that the concept of fast-traveling through camping wasn't obvious enough.....now go back to whatever it is you're doing and think harder about making a point next time. "
    Then you answered my question, I entirely mis-read your comment. I thought you were complaining because fast-traveling through camp wasn't realistic enough, not that it wasn't clear enough. I agree with you there, partly, although I think it's mentioned (granted, it's a brief mention) early on in the tutorials, when camps are covered. 

No need to resort to insults, my friend, I'm trying to understand your complaints, because some of them ring true with some of the slight annoyances I have had, although I clearly have had less trouble ignoring them than you have.
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JerichoBlyth
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @JerichoBlyth said:
     And Then 

@JerichoBlyth said: 
     That has nothing to do with anything and has been taken completely out of context.  You would make a very good tabloid journalist.  What I was saying in that second post you happened to quote there, was that the concept of fast-traveling through camping wasn't obvious enough.....now go back to whatever it is you're doing and think harder about making a point next time. "
    Then you answered my question, I entirely mis-read your comment. I thought you were complaining because fast-traveling through camp wasn't realistic enough, not that it wasn't clear enough. I agree with you there, partly, although I think it's mentioned (granted, it's a brief mention) early on in the tutorials, when camps are covered.  No need to resort to insults, my friend, I'm trying to understand your complaints, because some of them ring true with some of the slight annoyances I have had, although I clearly have had less trouble ignoring them than you have. "

Let's just say there has been a serious breakdown in communication between myself and the game.....*chuckles*

...and apparently between my opinions and a lot of posters in this thread - seriously guys - the topic is ongoing - things develop over time - don't go reading a first post without reading a few others afterwards.

Again - I say again - I will play it to the end and make better use of this 'teleportation camp site', which I can fit in my pants and then post my thoughts whether they be good or bad. Oh hell, maybe even a review, if I can be sodded....that would involve work, rather than effortlessly posting my developing opinion *gasp*
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Kazona

I haven't played RDR yet, but to say that Alan Wake is poo, that's blasphemy. 

BLASPHEMY I tell you! 

Sorry, it's almost 5am here... I'm gonna go to bed now before I start posting even weirder replies.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeffsekai

Nope

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By lordofultima

It's decent, definitely not as awesome as people would have you believe though. Locking this up, getting flamey.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.