Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

NO MORE RACES!!!!!

chone777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By chone777

Why do developers insist on putting these stupid-ass races in their games. I just got this game today and thoroughly enjoyed the first 5 hours or so and then I got to the stupid race for the "miraculous medicine" and now I never want to play this game again. I am so sick of this bullshit! There is no reason for these people to stuff this crap into their games that are in no way benefitting from it. If I wanted to race I would play a racing game. Am I the only person that feels this way?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

There's only 2 races in the game, and they are easy as hell.   Don't see the problem.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Because Rockstar San Diego usually makes racing games. They came from many years of Midnight Run directly to Redemption. I thought there would be many more races than the two or three in the entire game.

The races certainly weren't stuffed-in crap.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By D0tti

As far as I remember that was the only race in the game and wasn't really that bad I won it easily so no complaints from me. Didn't like the races in GTAIV, but didn't really mind it here since it only were one.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

Yah, I never lost any of the races.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Exactly listen to the first two users and the races were actually interesting.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

There are a total of 2 races in the game...get the hell over it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

The first buggy race I died when I hit a corner too hard, turned the damn thing over. I won easily on my second try. I won the horse by a nose. I liked them, wish there were more.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I thought this topic was about the human races in the game when I read the topic lol.

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kimbokasteniv

Actually, I thought the races in this game were great. In GTA the races weren't so great, because of the way the cars handled and the poor sense of speed. But because of the way the horses control in this game, I found the races to be pretty exciting.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By xMP44x

There are two races in the entire game. And both of them are piss easy. Just ensure that your horse doesn't run out of stamina or buck you off, and it really is a piece of piss. Once you get to the front of the pack that's the race over if you can keep the horse going smoothly. Don't fuss too much over them and they're simple.

chone777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chone777

It doesn't matter how easy they are. It just irritates me that they are in there for literally no reason other than filler missions, other than being stepping stones in the stones they serve absolutely no purpose but to add a little time to story mode. It is not like they are helping you improve your horse riding or showing you new gameplay aspects, so why do they need to be in the main. Racing side missions are fine because then I don't need to do them.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Marz said:
    " There's only 2 races in the game, and they are easy as hell.   Don't see the problem. "
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DystopiaX
    @chone777 said:
    " It doesn't matter how easy they are. It just irritates me that they are in there for literally no reason other than filler missions, other than being stepping stones in the stones they serve absolutely no purpose but to add a little time to story mode. It is not like they are helping you improve your horse riding or showing you new gameplay aspects, so why do they need to be in the main. Racing side missions are fine because then I don't need to do them. "
    By your logic, we should ask "Why do we have shooting missions?" beyond the tutorial ones, because they don't serve any purpose but to "add time to the story mode". 
    They're meant to be fun.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman

I thought the 2 races I played were actually pretty fun. 

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

I really liked the races - especially the one with the wagons. I wish racing was an optional side game in rdr (I know, I could choose the respective missions from the menu but it's not exactly what I mean).

Or even better: wagon racing in multiplayer would be the bomb!

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Sarumarine

I wasn't a fan of the racing missions. I started to hate West Dicken's missions when he started pulling that stuff. Fortunately you can load up on Horse Pills and just smoke everyone no problem. It got even better when those are the only racing missions you have to do.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By RichardLOlson

The races are kinda fun.  I never lost any of them and find them dangerously fun.

chone777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chone777
    @DystopiaX: Because they are actually important to the story. The only reason for the first race is to get some extra money so why don't they have you do something that actually fits into the western theme? Granted I have not seen many westerns but in the few I have seen not once was there some silly cart racing.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DystopiaX
    @chone777 said:
    " @DystopiaX: Because they are actually important to the story. The only reason for the first race is to get some extra money so why don't they have you do something that actually fits into the western theme? Granted I have not seen many westerns but in the few I have seen not once was there some silly cart racing. "
    well nigel west dicken's love of money establishes who he is as a character, so you could say that racing is important to the story as well.
    SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SilentCommando

There were only 2 races in the game (Both were relatively easy too), but I don't like them either. I think 1 race would have been sufficient enough to show that they needed to raise money. The second time they could of thought of something else.

chone777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chone777
    @DystopiaX: You raise an excellent point, but I still think that they could have come up with a better way to do this. For example they could show just how much he loves money by forcing you into a bank robbery or by capturing hostages and holding them for ransom. This would also be a good way for them to introduce the bandana showing that you commit horrible crimes without it affecting your honor. However, in your favor it does show that he is willing to put your life at stake for his own gain, but so would my two propositions.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @chone777 said:
    " It doesn't matter how easy they are. It just irritates me that they are in there for literally no reason other than filler missions, other than being stepping stones in the stones they serve absolutely no purpose but to add a little time to story mode. It is not like they are helping you improve your horse riding or showing you new gameplay aspects, so why do they need to be in the main. Racing side missions are fine because then I don't need to do them. "
    By your logic, we should ask "Why do we have shooting missions?" beyond the tutorial ones, because they don't serve any purpose but to "add time to the story mode". They're meant to be fun. "
    Exactly, why play any type of game if it doesn't serve a purpose? That's why it's a game in the first place, to be fun and for entertainment value.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @CptBedlam said:
    " I really liked the races - especially the one with the wagons. I wish racing was an optional side game in rdr (I know, I could choose the respective missions from the menu but it's not exactly what I mean).  Or even better: wagon racing in multiplayer would be the bomb! "
    When I played that mission, I thought I was a gladiator or something.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ninjakiller

There were only 2 races, the cart race was easy as shit, and the horse race I won after I learned how to not be an idiot and exhaust my horse.  

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hourai

Just buy a ton of horse pills and apples and you're good to go. 

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ryax
    @chone777 said:
    " Am I the only person that feels this way? "
    yep
    chone777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chone777

Alright I just finished the race and I will admit that I did kinda overact.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cap123

I actually really enjoyed the second, horse-only one. I totally overexerted myself at the start and was in dead last, miles behind, but managed to bring it back and win by a hair on the last turn.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DystopiaX
    @chone777 said:
    " @DystopiaX: You raise an excellent point, but I still think that they could have come up with a better way to do this. For example they could show just how much he loves money by forcing you into a bank robbery or by capturing hostages and holding them for ransom. This would also be a good way for them to introduce the bandana showing that you commit horrible crimes without it affecting your honor. However, in your favor it does show that he is willing to put your life at stake for his own gain, but so would my two propositions. "
    And then you or someone like you would complain "why does every mission involve me killing dozens of people? Why aren't the missions more diverse?"
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Capum15

They were really easy and really fun for me.

Though I screwed up the cart race when I launched myself off a cliff and killed the horse. It was hilarious though.

chone777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chone777
    @DystopiaX: Alright fine you all win. There are you happy. I was wrong. Yes you are right that I would complain about something that I thought because I am so ignorant that I cannot enjoy anything.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @chone777 said:
    " Alright I just finished the race and I will admit that I did kinda overact. "
    Serves you right.

Fuckhead.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince

I was in first place the whole time I was racing...

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Cheetoman

They are not just stuffed in there for no reason. And there so fucking easy, you must just suck at video games. 

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By thejamster

i spent both races well ahead of the pack and enjoyed a leisurely ride so i don't see what you are complaining about

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.