Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

RE5 Run and Gun Controls?

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Wildfire570

So I was playing Resident Evil 5 demo for the billionth time (I'm so hyped right now!!!) and I wonder: People are complaining about the controls in the game when you have to stand and shoot without any strafing.

But I also heard that there can be a control change to where it is somewhat of a Run and Gun a la Gears of War scheme. Is that true and if so, why are people STILL complaining about the old controls if they know that there is a new control mechanic?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

The "Gears style" control scheme only allows strafing while you aren't aiming. So you can't move while shooting.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm pretty sure thats not true. The game designers wanted it the way it is for a reason. If it is true, its kinda lame.

effjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By effjay

The "action control" scheme or Gears of War run-and-gun control scheme was mostly a product of this video, which appeared in the Inside Xbox section of the 360 dashboard around the same time the demo was released. However, there have been at least a few stories which report that the out-of-control marketing guy in the video was blowing hot air. Here's one from capcom-unity.com and another from psxextreme.com. Although that video got my hopes up about the extra control scheme, I began to wonder about it the more I thought about it. That type of drastic control scheme change would likely throw the whole game balance off that Capcom has no doubt been tweaking for months. I'm actually not too worried about it though. I've had a blast with every RE game I have played.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By bjorno

Run, stop, gun.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24

It isn't really run and gun, it is "shoot, stop, strafe". It is a bit unwieldy. I will wait to see how it is.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Aurelito

No, one of my friends spooks around CapComunity so much and they sent him a review version, and according to him, the game has only one control scheme and if you get used to it, it will be fun, But because he enjoyed playing CoD: WaW, I'm sure that i'll hate this game, just like RE4. missing Code Veronica so much.

Ace1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ace1721

Controls are classic resident evil controls (with a few exceptions) Ive played the demo and did not like controls at first but once you get use to them I believe this will be one of the funnest games of 09

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Systech

I just don't like them because they feel pretty dated.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By DarkGamer007

I think the Gears of War style controls are Type-D if I'm not mistaken, and I love them. You can't move while shooting but you can strafe and rotate the camera much easier in the mode, making the controls feel smooth and less clunky.

WhatistheAmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WhatistheAmero

If they're gonna make RE:5 as actioney as it is, doesn't make sense to have nerfed the controls akin to the old atmospheric RE games. It's not like Capcom hasn't already used a more western control system -see Lost Planet- for one of their games and have it work.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By clubsandwich
    bjorno said:
    "Run, stop, gun."
    this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.