Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Capcom goes Re-Re-Re on PS4 and Xbone this year.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

So I bet you lot have waited for another Resident Evil game to play on your shiny new consoles? Well, look no further because we're getting not one, not two, BUT THREE RE-RELEASES!

No Caption Provided

Hell, it's about time! Maybe I'll buy Resident Evil 4 for the third time now...and play Resi 5 again, because I finished that for some reason? Oh right, co-op made that happen. Maybe I should finally tackle the 28 hour experience that is Resi 6?

...and they are doing it backwards for some reason???

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

To the surprise of nobody! Not that I'm complaining, as I've been hankering to play some RE5 again for a while now. Mercs at 60fps - yay! A shame they're releasing them in the order to where the worst one comes out first, though... But it's at least beneficial that they release them separately, so people can pick and choose. Though being the nut that I am I'll being buying all three because... because. I also wonder if they'll include any new content. Probably not, but I'd love for there to be new Mercs maps and characters to play around with.

EDIT: Oh man! RE6 will include all of those awesome PS1-inspired demake costumes! Silver lining and all that.

No Caption Provided

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BelowStupid

Whatever.

They're in a bad spot after a bunch of their games didn't sell. Granted that's their fault whether their games were bad, or poorly marketed, but Capcom was the most prolific Japanese third party developer during the 360/ps3 era.

Non of us need to buy it, and I won't, but if this helps them get through the lean times then fine.

But those ps1 skins are dope.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Reisdent Evil 5 is a great game, it just has to stand in the shadow of the giant that is RE4.

I have all of these on PC, I don't need this.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE4 has been released six times now.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

My main takeaway: I still see that giraffe.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Capcom will continue to make sure RE:4 is playable on everything under the sun. And on things above the sun as well.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Capcom sure is killing it with the re-releases. I'm actually pretty impressed that they've managed to keep all these old games coming for so long.

When's Maximo?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually want to play this though. I just hope enough stuff is done to it to make it worth it, mainly visually honestly. I hope first and foremost, it's 1080p/60fps. Five took some time to get into, because it was a big disappointment coming directly after four, mainly because of the length it takes to complete, and the environments you visit, but over time, I really became to love five. Six is one of those games that I just liked from the get-go, and am in the minority for doing so I guess.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If they sell all three of those games in a bundle for a reasonable price, like I dunno, under $30, I'd see myself buying it. Individually though? Eh.. I don't like RE4 all that much, I beat RE5 ages ago and that was a lot of fun but requires an online friend and RE6 I'm still chipping away at to this day.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I finished RE5 a total of 6 times over ps3 and xbox360... I think I'm good.

I don't like 6 enough, and I already have 4 on like 3 platforms... Sorry capcom, I needs new games.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

If it was a bundle day one for 30, you have me capcom. This schedule? Fuck no....maybe...dammit.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Sure. I'll get those games yet again.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onimusha

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: from the right angle...

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again I will buy a version of RE4 and play it through to completion at least three or four times (with a Separate Ways playthrough as well) and enjoy it.

Super interested in returning to RE5 though, I haven't really played that game since the DLC and wouldn't mind running through it in co-op though. The only way I see myself returning to six is if I can rope someone into playing it with me so I don't suffer alone.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

As much of a shitshow as RE6 is...I oddly kind of want to play it again. I never saw the "improvements" they made to the camera and handling post-release. Maybe it makes it a somewhat palatable experience?

I also want to play 5 again, but this schedule is stupid, especially with their backward release order. I'm sure they'll release all of them as a bundle once RE4 is out, but I wish they would just wait until they're all done being "remastered" and ONLY do a bundle. But they're Capcom, so of course they won't do that. And RE4 has been re-released a comical amount of times already...though the Sunbeam Microwave port is pretty solid.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games of all time, but even I am sick of the releases. The Wii Edition was enough for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

I think Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games of all time, but even I am sick of the releases. The Wii Edition was enough for me.

The greatest game of it's time surely. Of ALL time? Ehh.. I mean, putting diamond shaped medallions in diamond shaped openings doesn't age that well. Definitely extremely influential in paving the way for much better games down the road.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: The combat is stodgy by now for sure, but I still think the level/encounter design is top tier even today. It feels thoughtful and handcrafted in a way that its successors definitely aren't.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: As someone who routinely replays RE4 every year and a half I still think it holds up quite well. Everything from the combat, enemies, and the way they are placed (the entire village section of the game is still oh so good) and the steady increase of powerful weapons all gels together into a satisfying whole for me. For me it's easily one of the best games of all time.

But different strokes you know? I know a lot of people regard Half-Life 2 very highly where as once I beat it the first time, I was good and never really cared to return to it. I had some fun playing it sure but it didn't resonate with me the way it has for many others.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Hm well I will definitely RE-up on one for these, that's for sure.

So 0 and 1 are dealt with, 2 is in progress and 4, 5 and 6 are en route this year.

It's time Capcom.

RESIDENT EVIL 3 FULL REMAKE come on!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Humanity

@lost_remnant: Oh yah definitely everyone will have one of those games. For example for me it's Fallout 2 - I still think it holds up really well and is one of the best RPG's of all time. I know plenty of people that can't get through the first 10 minutes of that game. (they're fools!)

@marokai:I'm the complete opposite where I think the combat actually surprisingly still holds up but the puzzle design and levels are absolutely terrible.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So 0 and 1 are dealt with, 2 is in progress and 4, 5 and 6 are en route this year.

It's time Capcom.

There's also CVX... It doesn't even have a PC version, so that's still on the table too. Really scraping the barrel though with that one ;P As for RE3, here's hoping my idea that it'll be incorporated into their RE2 remake will turn out to be more than wishful thinking!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom should branch out into other company's IPs. Who wouldn't want a Capcom remake of Castlevania?

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enough RE... where's my Dino Crisis remake

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@yummylee said:
    @geraltitude said:

It's time Capcom.

There's also CVX... It doesn't even have a PC version, so that's still on the table too. Really scraping the barrel though with that one ;P As for RE3, here's hoping my idea that it'll be incorporated into their RE2 remake will turn out to be more than wishful thinking!

oh duder duder duder!

Think we've shared this dream before; a RE2/RE3 unification is truly the holy grail of remakes. The Half Life 3 of remakes, some might say.

I er.. kinda forgot about CVX :( and uh, maybe everyone else did too? :P :D Thoughts follow:

I played that game pretty late after release, but the hype for it was still huge. I remember being a little disappointed by it, but I do have some fond memories of the environments. Getting to play as Chris at the end was pretty exciting I recall, but that could have been RE1 nostalgia in effect.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like Code Veronica used to have such a strong fanbase but I think they all up and left. I swear there was a period of time where all you heard was how that was THE BEST RE ever. Today it seems like CVX is really second fiddle to the rest of the series. In fact it isn't even a fiddle. It's one of those wooden recorders they gave us in elementary school.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Capcom has never been shy about re-releasing all of their old shit, but this seems especially sad and unnecessary.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PurplePartyRobot

Blows me away that for all the remakes they like to do with the Resident Evil games they still continue to sidestep remaking 2 and 3. The question won't be an "if", but a "when". Probably after doing a superfluous Gun Survivor remake.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that this is a very unpopular opinion but I really enjoyed 6 and will definitely be buying all three of the re-releases.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Two of those are good games! It's been a long time since I've played RE4 or RE5. Wouldn't mind playing them again. Depending on the price (well, I guess it'll be 20 bones each like the other ones) and what's been done to them.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @marokai said:

The greatest game of it's time surely. Of ALL time? Ehh.. I mean, putting diamond shaped medallions in diamond shaped openings doesn't age that well. Definitely extremely influential in paving the way for much better games down the road.

I mean, yeah, you can't really compare games of different eras. But it's the internet and we like to exaggerate. What do you consider "much better" than RE4?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

Wait, Resident Evil 6 is in a few days? Wow. You know, like I said, I really enjoyed that game, and it's actually one of those titles I want to go back to every so often honestly. I think I'll get it; hopefully it's a fine update.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll pass, I probably own 3 copies of RE4 at this point, 5 and 6 remain skippable for me as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blows me away that for all the remakes they like to do with the Resident Evil games they still continue to sidestep remaking 2 and 3. The question won't be an "if", but a "when". Probably after doing a superfluous Gun Survivor remake.

Er...? An RE2 remake was announced months ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.