Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Might be going back to roots in 6. What do you wanna see?

• 83 results
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

I have been playing RE directors cut recently and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I'm thinking about getting the 2nd one because of it and I have never played it before either. But this got me searching on a new installment and I have read the possibility of it going back to its roots maybe even a full reboot and I was curious what you would like to see back?

For those who haven't seen it this was originally Resident evil 4 but then scrapped. I truly loved RE4 but if they are going back to something like this I would like to see some ideas from here implemented.

1. The flashlight: I love the flashlight in the video. Leon can move the flashlight just by moving his arm instead of maybe having to turn his whole body. This could set up some great scares really bring back the true horror feel.

2. Camera angles: In ways its a little clunky sure but again it brings the atmosphere out and it can really turn your focus on something that maybe you wouldn't catch if it was just 3rd person.

3. 3rd person aiming if wanted: In the video we see that not only can you shoot like the original RE but you can also have the 3rd person view like RE4 and RE5. This lowers a bit of the limitations to the camera as you wont have to shoot enemies you cant see. 
     4. Zombies: nuff said :)

Setting (if its not a reboot) : I would like somewhere that makes you feel cut off from the world. Somewhere that right when you start its apparent that you are alone and there is no help coming for you. Maybe somehow bring it on to a huge cruise ship in the middle of the ocean on a stormy night and bring the rocky waters into a gameplay mechanic (think some game sort of did that don't know the name)

Just my small ideas I would like to see in the next installment that could make it truly a great survival horror game. Well what do you guys think? Any ideas that would would like to see?

EDIT: Also found this fan made poster. I thought it was cool and also had some good ideas posted on it as well

No Caption Provided
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Nasar7

I for one love static camera angles.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I want it to work off the RE Outbreaks design. Despite being slow paced with its animations, it's some of the old school RE gameplay at its best.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Abyssfull:  I would like to see that with the new consoles as online gaming with them has improved so much but I prefer to have a numbered sequel first
    Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Clembo

Yes, do that ugly, boring shooter thing you did with RE4 + 5 to your heart's content.  But DON'T scrap the decent and down right scary style that made RE great!  It is criminal that this game got canned and redone as a totally unscary shooter with an obscene Dali-esque plot.

First RE, you are in a big house and it's scary, there are very few zombies and even less ammo, keep it simple.  RE 4, travel around a closed, open environment that shooting millions zombies you are not scared of because Soviet Russia has decided you are credit to the Motherland and given you access to an unlimited supply of ammo.

Whatever, take the two out of the equation, they are not mutually exclusive, who cares about the plot, anyway?  We want a scary Resident Evil, again.  Please take this into account and don't follow Brown Shooter 2: Mahogany Bulletstorm down every path and into obscurity.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

I don't want the series to return to its roots. All the pre-RE4 (and post-RE4, for that matter) games were terrible.

Either make another Resident Evil 4, or take a cue from Fatal Frame and make something that's actually scary (and preferably doesn't control like ass).

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Clembo said:

" ... don't follow Brown Shooter 2: Mahogany Bulletstorm down every path and into obscurity. "

Dude, that's just racist.
    Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Clembo
    @Icemael said:
    " I don't want the series to return to its roots. All the pre-RE4 (and post-RE4, for that matter) games were terrible. Either make another Resident Evil 4, or take a cue from Fatal Frame and make something that's actually scary. "
    I agree that Fatal Frame was scary.  But didn't that borrow inspiration from games like Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill and Resident Evil?

I found the original RE very scary.  Even more so on the Gamecube.  I can barely play it it's so terrfying.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Clembo said:
      I found the original RE very scary.  Even more so on the Gamecube.  I can barely play it it's so terrfying. "
    Agree. Always wanted to play the gamecube version but never have :/
    Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clembo
    @Sackmanjones said:
    Agree. Always wanted to play the gamecube version but never have :/ "
    I thought that video you posted was the REmake, but then I noticed it was Leon.  It looks really sharp, even by today's standards.

@buzz_killington said:
    Dude, that's just racist.

Hmm I didn't mean to cause any offense.  I was referring to the lack of diversity in the colour palatte.  Games like Gears are pretty bad when it comes to this:

No Caption Provided
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Rockanomics
    @Sackmanjones said:
    Setting (if its not a reboot) : I would like somewhere that makes you feel cut off from the world. Somewhere that right when you start its apparent that you are alone and there is no help coming for you. Maybe somehow bring it on to a huge cruise ship in the middle of the ocean on a stormy night and bring the rocky waters into a gameplay mechanic (think some game sort of did that don't know the name)"  

Cold Fear is the game you are thinking of.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Clembo said:
    I thought that video you posted was the REmake, but then I noticed it was Leon.  It looks really sharp, even by today's standards.

I think so too. I can only imagine what they could do with an updated version of  RE5's engine. It was exceptional with lighting effects and that would be perfect  if a flashlight was implemented in the game
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Clembo: I know what you meant, I was just messing with you.
    apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By apoptosis61

resident evil 1 remake on gc was the best in the series

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I'm pretty much done with Resident Evil unless they make some kind of revamp. RE4 was great at the time, but 5 was like a step back from that, the same (aging) gameplay but made completely linear, all horror elements removed, poor balance and too much focus on co-op. If RE6 still has zombies that run up to you, then start slowly walking once they get about three feet in front of you, I'm not even gonna bother playing it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icemael
    @Clembo said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " I don't want the series to return to its roots. All the pre-RE4 (and post-RE4, for that matter) games were terrible. Either make another Resident Evil 4, or take a cue from Fatal Frame and make something that's actually scary. "
    I agree that Fatal Frame was scary.  But didn't that borrow inspiration from games like Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill and Resident Evil?  I found the original RE very scary.  Even more so on the Gamecube.  I can barely play it it's so terrfying. "
    As far as I'm concerned, all Tecmo did was take the trainwreck known as survival horror and get it right. What little I've played of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series has been slightly unnerving at best, and the terrible, terrible controls didn't exactly make the experience more enjoyable.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee
    @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    " @Icemael said:
    I agree that Fatal Frame was scary.  But didn't that borrow inspiration from games like Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill and Resident Evil?  I found the original RE very scary.  Even more so on the Gamecube.  I can barely play it it's so terrfying. "
    As far as I'm concerned, all Tecmo did was take the trainwreck known as survival horror and get it right. What little I've played of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series has been slightly unnerving at best, and the terrible, terrible controls didn't exactly make the experience more enjoyable. "
    Trainwreck...really now? I think the first few RE's and SH's done the genre pretty well. The RE games had the tension and jump frights while SH had the unnerving atmosphere and chilling storylines. As for the controls..well...it really is a love it or hate it type of scenario though I at least had no issue whatsoever.
    Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clembo
    @Icemael said:
    As far as I'm concerned, all Tecmo did was take the trainwreck known as survival horror and get it right. What little I've played of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series has been slightly unnerving at best, and the terrible, terrible controls didn't exactly make the experience more enjoyable. "
    I think survival horror was one of the more developed genres at the time.  Darkseed, AitD, system shock, DOOM.  The movies of the eighties and seventies seemed to be the sole inspiration for these (by today's standards) tiny squads of people making video games in the 90s.

As for the terrible controrls it's always been the design to make shooting and running difficult.  The game is certainly not about point scoring or skill, it's about big scares and creeping spines.  It would be a monument of extreme perseverance to follow merely bad controls over more than 10 years and even into a major genre change from survival horror to action.  As far as I know, only one joke ever got that far and now people call it the Dutch language.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icemael
    @Clembo said:
    "As for the terrible controrls it's always been the design to make shooting and running difficult. The game is certainly not about point scoring or skill, it's about big scares and creeping spines."
    Poor camera and controls is the worst possible way to make a game difficulty. All it does is make the game more frustrating, and less scary; if I have to use all my concentration simply to make my character walk straight and hit what I want him to hit, how the hell am I supposed appreciate the environments and seep in the atmosphere?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee
    @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    "As for the terrible controrls it's always been the design to make shooting and running difficult. The game is certainly not about point scoring or skill, it's about big scares and creeping spines."
     I have to use all my concentration simply to make my character walk straight and hit what I want him to hit "
    I lol'd  

I mean comon, it more sounds like you were just really bad at the games if the controls+camera angles where that much of a hindrance for you.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icemael
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
     I have to use all my concentration simply to make my character walk straight and hit what I want him to hit "
    I lol'd  

I mean comon, it more sounds like you were just really bad at the games if the controls+camera angles where that much of a hindrance for you. "
    I'm using hyperbole. 

Mostly. Stuff like accidentally running toward an enemy you were trying to escape because the camera angle suddenly shifted definitely happened, and way too often than it should have.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee
    @Icemael said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    I lol'd  

I mean comon, it more sounds like you were just really bad at the games if the controls+camera angles where that much of a hindrance for you. "
    I'm using hyperbole. 

Mostly. Stuff like accidentally running toward an enemy you were trying to escape because the camera angle suddenly shifted definitely happened, and way too often than it should have. "
    I don't even see how that's possible. For the first few RE games the directional pad buttons were set to their actual directions no matter what angle you were at. I mean like pressing forward always had you running forward even amidst the angle switches.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Icemael
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    I lol'd  

I'm using hyperbole. 

Mostly. Stuff like accidentally running toward an enemy you were trying to escape because the camera angle suddenly shifted definitely happened, and way too often than it should have. "
    I don't even see how that's possible. For the first few RE games the directional pad buttons were set to their actual directions no matter what angle you were at. I mean like pressing forward always had you running forward even amidst the angle switches. "
    I'm not necessarily talking about Resident Evil (and besides, those "forward is always your character's forward, not the camera's" controls were horribly uncomfortable).
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By jimi

It needs to bring the mystery back.

The first game had a real sense of what the hell is going on, you were exploring a creepy mansion, finding the memoirs of its inhabitants and had no idea of who, or what was behind all of it.

All of the following games have made clear references (e.g wesker) or even include the same characters (chris, leon and jill) to the first two games. The series needs a complete reboot; characters, settings, everything!

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaptainObvious

I just want to see more boulder punching.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

A reboot may work, but I'd honestly rather see the current story continue, but instead of continuing to be over-the-top and completely goofy, have it shift back into being a bit more grounded in seriousness... you know, where characters are actually portrayed as being somewhat ordinary and vulnerable, and not crazy fucking action heroes? If they changed it once they can change it back. What I would like to see return for the series are REAL undead zombies that will actually try to eat you; a creepy, tense atmosphere that always keeps you on edge; and really contrived and weird puzzles, which are basically a staple to the survival horror genre in the first place.

I wouldn't mind static camera angles, either.  I grew up playing these old-school survival horror games, and they all controlled almost exactly the same, so the tank controls and camera angles do not bother me all that much. I'm sure there are ways to modernize them to make them less cumbersome. I also have no problem with the third-person view and controls of the current games in the series. I can think of several ways to use that system and still have the game be scary and intense, and feel pretty much like classic RE. I'm holding my breath for what RE6 could become, I've been hearing talk about the series returning to its roots ever since 5 was released, so there may be some hope.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

I loved RE1 and only RE1. Everything after it was wrong. I don't have any confidence in them pandering to their older fans. It will still be an awful action game.

@Jimi said:

" It needs to bring the mystery back.

The first game had a real sense of what the hell is going on, you were exploring a creepy mansion, finding the memoirs of its inhabitants and had no idea of who, or what was behind all of it.  All of the following games have made clear references (e.g wesker) or even include the same characters (chris, leon and jill) to the first two games. The series needs a complete reboot; characters, settings, everything! "

YES! Agreed fully! RE1 was all about atmosphere and finding out what the fuck was up. I really think they should have stopped after 1.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want RE6 to be like RE4/5, but make it actually scary, and make zombies, not sickly fools. 

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Pessh

RE4 in hd. That is all.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

As far as I'm concerned resident evil is dead to me, no reboot is going to fix the plot problems they introduced, capcom betrayed us true resident evil fans to get as many sales as they could. that RE4 beta looked awesome!!! thats how it should have been.

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Clembo
    @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    Poor camera and controls is the worst possible way to make a game difficulty. All it does is make the game more frustrating, and less scary; if I have to use all my concentration simply to make my character walk straight and hit what I want him to hit, how the hell am I supposed appreciate the environments and seep in the atmosphere? "
    Again, this is not about making the game more difficult, it's about making certain aspects slower so you feel more powerless.  The game itself is made more scary.  Seeing as all you have to do to "complete" it is move forward and maybe trigger some special encounters, that part is hardly taxing.  The fun comes the adrenaline of being scared, as corny as it sounds I feel Resident Evil is unadulterated with gameyness when it comes to those set pieces, your reaction is what makes it fun.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beargirl1
    @Abyssfull said:
    " I want it to work off the RE Outbreaks design. Despite being slow paced with its animations, it's some of the old school RE gameplay at its best. "
    this. plus, some better online this time around o.O 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm not going to lie, I like RE4 and RE5 a LOT better than the older ones, and rather liked the more action focused gameplay, and don't want the series to go back to how it once was.  

But that's just me. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yummylee
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " I want it to work off the RE Outbreaks design. Despite being slow paced with its animations, it's some of the old school RE gameplay at its best. "
    this. plus, some better online this time around o.O  "
    I never did get to even try Outbreak online =(. File 1 didn't even have online in the UK and File 2 I didn't even knew what I'd need.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By beargirl1
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    this. plus, some better online this time around o.O  "
    I never did get to even try Outbreak online =(. File 1 didn't even have online in the UK and File 2 I didn't even knew what I'd need. "
    the online was fine, but there was no good way to communicate with each other. the game had no microphone support and you could only communicate through voice samples. people would always be yelling YOKO YOKO YOKO YOKO YOKO WE'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT YOKO YOKO YOKO TAKE THIS AMMO YOKO YOKO 

it was ridiculous. if that game had better communication then it would be much better. i'm still surprised that they didn't supply the UK version with online play. 
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FreakAche

I think it's hard for me to appreciate old school Resident Evil because I missed out on it during its time. I recently picked up a copy of Code Veronica and thought it was terrible.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icemael
    @Clembo said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    Poor camera and controls is the worst possible way to make a game difficulty. All it does is make the game more frustrating, and less scary; if I have to use all my concentration simply to make my character walk straight and hit what I want him to hit, how the hell am I supposed appreciate the environments and seep in the atmosphere? "
    Again, this is not about making the game more difficult, it's about making certain aspects slower so you feel more powerless.  The game itself is made more scary.  Seeing as all you have to do to "complete" it is move forward and maybe trigger some special encounters, that part is hardly taxing.  The fun comes the adrenaline of being scared, as corny as it sounds I feel Resident Evil is unadulterated with gameyness when it comes to those set pieces, your reaction is what makes it fun. "
    If you want to make me feel powerless, make the enemies really strong and me really weak. The controls and the camera are my links to the gameworld; making them shitty is only gonna weaken that connection and make me feel detached from -- and therefore indifferent to -- what's going on on the screen. A game with poor camera and poor controls is like music with poor sound quality. Or, to draw a more relevant analogy: A horror game with awful camera and uncomfortable controls is like a horror movie with terrible video and sound quality.
    lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By lavaman77
    @Icemael said:

" I don't want the series to return to its roots. All the pre-RE4 (and post-RE4, for that matter) games were terrible. Either make another Resident Evil 4, or take a cue from Fatal Frame and make something that's actually scary (and preferably doesn't control like ass). "

Outbreak was the BEST out of all RE games. it's like RE4's smoothness and RE's classic gameplay made a perfect baby. RE6 better have similar gameplay.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MooseyMcMan:  Oh I liked RE4 and 5 I thought they were great games. I have just been playing some of the older ones and I would really like to see them go back more of the horror and suspense that was in the first one. Also they need to bring back crimson heads. SO evil but SO good
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I really don't care what they do with it. More RE is good RE. 

Besides people are going to bitch no matter what direction they take the series.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " I really don't care what they do with it. More RE is good RE.  Besides people are going to bitch no matter what direction they take the series. "
    I agree. I would like to see a return but if they continue on their path that is just fine. Would really like to retire Leon and Chris by maybe doing co op with them together
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Sackmanjones said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " I really don't care what they do with it. More RE is good RE.  Besides people are going to bitch no matter what direction they take the series. "
    I agree. I would like to see a return but if they continue on their path that is just fine. Would really like to retire Leon and Chris by maybe doing co op with them together "
    I'd love a reboot but dude just give me more RE. 
    A world without Resident Evil is a baaaaad place.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho

Go far enough into the future that there's a new cast of people dealing with a new kind of zombie like infestation perpetuated by a new evil. Just have cameos of the old cast here and there. As it is, RE's horror factor is hindered by the metric ton of bullshit backstory it has now.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill be honest, Billy Coen is quite possibly my favorite Resident Evil character even above Leon and Chris.  A game including all 3 would be great.
    Just including Billy though would make me very excited.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @trophyhunter:  agreed. I have been reliving it all cause I miss it. Beat REmake a week ago and in the middle of 0.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ninjakiller
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    I lol'd  

Gee, not too sound like a dick but is it too much to ask that a game controls like it's from this generation rather than the 90's?  I bought the latest one and stopped playing after 15 minutes because yes the controls suck and the protagonist moves like he's under water.  
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By trophyhunter

there needs to be a remake of two

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @trophyhunter:  I have actually not played it yet. Considering to get it on psn though.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By trophyhunter
    @ryanwho said:

" Go far enough into the future that there's a new cast of people dealing with a new kind of zombie like infestation perpetuated by a new evil. Just have cameos of the old cast here and there. As it is, RE's horror factor is hindered by the metric ton of bullshit backstory it has now. "

If you really get into it the bullshit backstory is fantastic. Watch this video

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Yummylee
    @ninjakiller said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Clembo said:
    I lol'd  

Gee, not too sound like a dick but is it too much to ask that a game controls like it's from this generation rather than the 90's?  I bought the latest one and stopped playing after 15 minutes because yes the controls suck and the protagonist moves like he's under water.   "
    ...What are you talking about??? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.