Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 22, 1996

The first in a long line of action-oriented survival-horror games, Resident Evil pits a small group of special forces agents against hordes of zombies and other mutated creatures in a mysterious mansion.

Playing this game for the first time. Any tips?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Hey folks,  

A buddy and I are doing a run-through of the Resident Evil series from start to finish. We'll probably end up skipping the offshoot games like Code Veronica and Survivor and stick primarily to the numbered entries of the franchise. I have some experience with the old school, tank control games. I played a lot of Resident Evil 2 back in the day, but never played Resident Evil 1 or 3 before really enjoying Resident Evil 4 and 5.  

We're starting from (nearly) the very beginning, thanks to the glory of PSN and the ability to shore up my catalogue of Playstation games. I purchased Resident Evil: Director's Cut (Dual Shock Edition) and we've already waded a little bit into a playthrough we've started with Jill. It seems like ammo is an issue already and that there isn't a reliable way to avoid getting attacked by enemies that doesn't involve burning through all your ammunition.  

To fill you in on where we're at--I don't have a clear gauge of "how far" we are into the playthrough. We've probably put about three or four hours into it. We just encountered a room covered in plants. We have the Chemical in an item box somewhere, so I'm assuming we'll likely use the Chemical on the plants in that room. But apart from that I'm not entirely sure where we are headed next or what our current primary objective is.  

Anywho. Without major spoilers, I'd like to see if there are any savvy Resident Evil veterans who were willing to reveal some secrets of the trade, perhaps some helpful hints about general combat strategies or what to stockpile for a rainy day.  

Appreciate it, duders. Excited to see what's to be said. 

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Don't skip Code: Veronica. It's technically the real Resident Evil 3 and is actually directly relevant to the overall plot.

EDIT: It wasn't numbered because, at the time, they wanted to keep all the numbered releases on the PlayStation for some reason.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @HistoryInRust: RE 1 is a pretty easy game to get through and be sure to listen to ALL the incredible dialogue.  Jill's playthrough is easier than chris's (she gets better weapons and more slots) Other than that no other tips. Also Code Veronica isn't really an offshoot.  I have no idea why it isn't numbered but definitely isn't an offshoot. 

As for tips, just be sure to not kill zombies that you don't need to, like you said its really easy to run out of ammo.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NTM

Code Veronica is part of the regular series, it's not an "offshoot" game. RE0, RE, RE2, RE3, Code Veronica, RE4, RE5, Revelations, and RE6 are all the main series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CrossTheAtlantic@Sackmanjones: I think I tried to play Code Veronica on the Dreamcast but fucked myself during some airplane boss battle. Only had a handgun and one health item. Quit after that. Maybe we'll pick it up. Does it fill the gap between 3 and 4, or should we play it at some other point (we're trying to go chronologically).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM: Forgot about Zero. Will probably skip that one. Not to speak to its quality, it just seems nonessential. 
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @HistoryInRust: It doesn't necessarily fill a gap but its definitely between there (honestly I only bought it on psn but haven't played it) anyway don't forget RE zero also if you have a gamecube somewhere.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@HistoryInRust: No I didn't. It's the first one I mentioned.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@HistoryInRust said:

We'll probably end up skipping the offshoot games like Code Veronica and Survivor

That's probably the best decision you could make with the series :P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM said:

@HistoryInRust: No I didn't. It's the first one I mentioned.

I'm saying I forgot about Zero. 
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@HistoryInRust: Well how can you forget it if you never even planned on playing it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM: That's probably the exact reason I forgot about it. 
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@HistoryInRust: Without getting too spoilery, it has a lot to do with Wesker and Umbrella. It's definitely connected to the overall story. More than 3 is, I'd say (which is really just a story occurring alongside 2).

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ducksworth

If you want a real treat, try playing the REmakes. I thought that if I could swallow my fear ~7 years ago when RE4 came out, I could play REmake. I thought that if I had the guts to at least make some progress in Resident Evil 3 as a 10 year old, I could take on REmake no problem. I was wrong. So very wrong. Someone hold me.

Also, if you want a "tip" I think the easiest way to play the old-styled Resident Evil games is to not bother wasting ammo on standard zombies. They're super slow and probably won't catch you, especially if it's a fairly wide hall or they're facing a different direction. I'm not a serious RE fan though so don't quote me on it =P.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Ducksworth said:

If you want a real treat, try playing the REmakes. I thought that if I could swallow my fear ~7 years ago when RE4 came out, I could play REmake. I thought that if I had the guts to at least make some progress in Resident Evil 3 as a 10 year old, I could take on REmake no problem. I was wrong. So very wrong. Someone hold me.

Also, if you want a "tip" I think the easiest way to play the old-styled Resident Evil games is to not bother wasting ammo on standard zombies. They're super slow and probably won't catch you, especially if it's a fairly wide hall or they're facing a different direction. I'm not a serious RE fan though so don't quote me on it =P.

He is right. REmake is an awesome game.  In fact I played it probably a few months ago. He also makes a good point with the ammo.  There are a ton of zombies you can easily just run around
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Look inside the Doom Books. You'll get them and expect to use them somewhere; you won't. You have to look inside them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

For Resident Evil 2 if your going to try to unlock Hunk and Tofu I find it easier to S Rank with playing as Leon in Game A  and leaving the Utility belt for Claire in Game B.   If you don't pick up any items, even the shotgun(don't worry you get another one),  on your way to the Police Station in Game A there will be a zombie under this bridge area that has a wardrobe key that gives you an alternative outfit and let's Leon shoot his hand gun "Gangsta Style".   I also think using Health Sprays and saving more then three times will prevent you from getting an "S" Rank. 

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Barrock

You should definitely play Code Veronica. And if you have a Gamecube, give the REmake a look.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TentPole

As a fan of Resident Evil I think you are going about this all wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:
    For Resident Evil 2 if your going to try to unlock Hunk and Tofu I find it easier to S Rank with playing as Leon in Game A  and leaving the Utility belt for Claire in Game B.   If you don't pick up any items, even the shotgun(don't worry you get another one),  on your way to the Police Station in Game A there will be a zombie under this bridge area that has a wardrobe key that gives you an alternative outfit and let's Leon shoot his hand gun "Gangsta Style".   I also think using Health Sprays and saving more then three times will prevent you from getting an "S" Rank. 
    Eh. I've never been too worried about the S Rank stuff, though we probably will play Resident Evil 2 twice over because of that A-story and B-story business. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole said:

As a fan of Resident Evil I think you are going about this all wrong.

Alright, I'll take the bait.  

Why's that?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Code Veronica is kind of bad. Sure, it's "plot important" or whatever, because they brought Wesker back to life in that one, but that makes the poor, poor assumption that the plot of Resident Evil isn't a horrible mess, and the plot of Code Veronica in particular isn't a laughable mess. It's still overly long, super backtrack heavy and if you screw up and use too much ammo that Tyrant boss fight on the plane is practically impossible. I blame it coming out on the Dreamcast for being as revered as it is.

That being said... just figure it out yourself. The puzzles in most Resident Evil games are pretty straightforward and you'll usually know if you have the item you need or not. Also you should get really good at dodging zombies. Most of them aren't worth the time or the ammo.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TentPole

In my opinion the best of the classic style games by far are the REmake and then Code Veronica. I don't get why people don't like Code Veronica. It is much better than 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.