Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance: Fall of Man

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 14, 2006

Resistance: Fall of Man is the first in a franchise of first-person shooters from Insomniac Games. Set in an alternative version of 1951, you follow the story of Sgt. Nathan Hale as he and the human resistance forces attempt to drive a mysterious alien-like invasion out of Britain.

Playing this after Killzone 2...

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Matt_

Okay so I recently bought a PS3. Well when I bought it, I got Killzone 2 with it. I greatly enjoyed that game but wanted to play some of the older PS3 games so I picked this up. I am enjoying it so far but feel that I would have much more if I had played this a few years ago. For instance, the graphics don't wow since KZ2 and the health system bothers me. I guess KZ2 spoiled me to where I can't fully enjoy this game. Thoughts?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

I thought R2 was better than KZ2
    ooh wait your talking about R1 well yeah I'd think KZ2 would beat a almost 3 year old game

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Godwind
    trophyhunter said:
    "I thought R2 was better than KZ2 ooh wait your talking about R1 well yeah I'd think KZ2 would beat a almost 3 year old game "
    A good game ages well.  A decent game will shows its flaws as better games of that genre come out.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

Haha yeah it's kinda rough these days but it's still fun. I enjoy the narrative in Fall Of Man and I love the health bar system personally. I'm kinda sick of regen health.

The game ends really strangely though.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive
    health system bothers you? have you reached the part where nathan gets infected?

also, Resistance 2 is an EXCELLENT game. 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
    TwoOneFive said:
    "also, Resistance 2 is an EXCELLENT game. "
    Apart from the bit where they ruined the story.

Thank goodness for Retribution and Grayson who I HOPE will become the series' protagonist. *removed*.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By fr0br0

get2sammyb, watch your spoiler. TC hasn't played R2 yet...

And about R1, I actually liked the way the health system worked and I was disappointed to see it be replaced by full regeneration in R2.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

Yes, my apologies. I totally forgot! :(

Sorry if anyone read that.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MisterSpiffy
    get2sammyb said:
    "Yes, my apologies. I totally forgot! :(Sorry if anyone read that."
    You can always edit your post.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    MisterSpiffy said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "Yes, my apologies. I totally forgot! :(Sorry if anyone read that."
    You can always edit your post."
    I did ;)
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By damswedon

R:FoM has shown me how much my gameplay style relies on full regenerating heath. i walk forward and shoot.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Matt_

I just have never liked relying on limited health packs. Especially the part I'm in at in the game now. I'm on the level "Conduit" right after you get the sniper rifle and the enemies are just flooding over a bridge and never cease. It's so frustrating.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    Matt_ said:
    "I just have never liked relying on limited health packs. Especially the part I'm in at in the game now. I'm on the level "Conduit" right after you get the sniper rifle and the enemies are just flooding over a bridge and never cease. It's so frustrating."
    You have to hold back. Be careful. Take them out one by one. Strategise.

Makes the game better in my opinion.
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matt_
    get2sammyb said:
    "Matt_ said:
    "I just have never liked relying on limited health packs. Especially the part I'm in at in the game now. I'm on the level "Conduit" right after you get the sniper rifle and the enemies are just flooding over a bridge and never cease. It's so frustrating."
    You have to hold back. Be careful. Take them out one by one. Strategise.Makes the game better in my opinion."
    I was playing that part for a while and it seemed that they kept re-spawning unless I pushed over the bridge in which case they would mow me down. But don't get the wrong impression I don't hate the game. I am enjoying it overall. It just has some features I don't care for.
    DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DECA555

this happened to me with pretty much every FPS. After Killzone 2, they just dont look as good. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond

Resistance 1 was a very tight and innovative experience.  Love all the weapons they give you and how you can use them for different battles strategically.  The way they tacked on a Halo-like inventory system in R2 was just pathetic.  Giving you a rocket launcher at the critical moments?  So fucking lame.  Graphics overall weren't super good in R1, even when they were new, but production value was consistent, unlike in Resistance 2.  Resistance 1 is a very nice playing game, had good online too.  R2 still has good online, but the SP is shit compared to the first game.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Diamond said:
    Resistance 1 was a very tight and innovative experience.  Love all the weapons they give you and how you can ... [more]
    its wierd because i know lots of people loved r2 sp much more than r1 sp.  o well. 
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Matt_

Okay finished it last night. I enjoyed it but it didn't really draw me in very much. It was more like I was just playing to get through it. I did find the story compelling but Nathan's dialogue was too dry for my tastes. I kept picturing Vin Diesel spouting his serious one-liners. The weapons were the big sell for me though. I absolutely loved the way they were able to make the weapons different to use than most FPS's. For the most part the graphics were passable but I was surprised specifically with the snow falling effects and the glass in the game.

However, I did find that the "normal" (*cough*) difficulty, the antiquated health system, and punishing checkpoint spacing combined to a perfect storm of finding a handful of parts through the game I had to use too much trial and error to survive. The worst of these parts would last for more than an hour. And when I finally did find some way to survive, I felt like I accomplished it by playing cheaply. For instance, running around a tree waiting for your health to recharge while the enemy follows so you just keep circling. Or memorizing spawn points of enemies and chucking grenades right before they spawn because I memorized that they would be there. This made beating the game feel like a chore in spots which I hate.

Overall, I am glad I played it but it has certainly aged.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By TheHBK

Killzone 2 disappointed.  Both games just seem unoriginal in terms of story (fuck you rico!!!!!!) and you dont care about who you are playing, but R2 and R1 just played better, KZ2 had graphics, for me that made the game fun enough but thats it.  If you want a real FPS, get COD4, love that game so much.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Matt_

Trust me I am COD4'ed out. I have had a 360 since a few months after launch so I've played most of the multiplatform 360/PS3 games on that. So I am trying to hit PS3 exclusives now that I have one.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By NickM
    @TheHBK said:
    " Killzone 2 disappointed.  Both games just seem unoriginal in terms of story (fuck you rico!!!!!!) and you dont care about who you are playing, but R2 and R1 just played better, KZ2 had graphics, for me that made the game fun enough but thats it.  If you want a real FPS, get COD4, love that game so much. "
    Oh, fuck yes. I hate Rico too. I was trying to team kill that mother fucker for like half the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.