Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Respawn Entertainment

Company »

Formed by ex-Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, Respawn Entertainment is a game development company owned by EA.

West & Zampella create new studio with EA!

• 87 results
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By OmegaPirate

Great news!! Glad those 2 landed on their feet!  
    Also be interesting to see how activision react and to see what happens from the new studio 

Heres something i would like though - if 'Respawn entertainment' would maybe put a little more thought into ' Respawn points' in their first title 

Ahahahah - Ok ill get my coat and leave

JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

It's interesting to watch how EA used to be pricks, now getting all the positive attemtion.
    I used to dislike EA for screwing up fav racing franchise, but now, they're doing a good job for everything.
     I mean, sometimes when you stop thinking about squeezing money off every single game you make, maybe you'll actually accomplish something.

Anyways,  I totally saw those guys joining EA coming. Makes sense for both sides.
    For Vince and Jason, that's a finger in Activision's face and very likely having more opportunities to explore new directions.
    For EA, they'll most likely be dictating the FPS genre with the Battlefield franchise as well as the Medal of Honor franchise. Plus, COD is most likely gonna suck with the lead programmers gone, and given Treyarch only makes good COD games when there is a good engine to run on, Activision is gonna suck.

On a side note, don't Vince and Jason used to work for EA prior to starting IW?

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By Jost1
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " Great news!! Glad those 2 landed on their feet!  Also be interesting to see how activision react and to see what happens from the new studio  Heres something i would like though - if 'Respawn entertainment' would maybe put a little more thought into ' Respawn points' in their first title  Ahahahah - Ok ill get my coat and leave "
    haha

Maybe "Spawn Camp" would have been a better name
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Jimbo

Name is amusing.  I wonder how many from Infinity Ward will jump ship.  

If these guys were sick of MW over at Acti, I wonder what they're gonna do now - I have to assume that the ability to decide for themselves what they make was part of the deal.  

Edit:  OIC, EA are only publishing for them.  Cool.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @josty81:  

Touche salesman 

Believe - i'm not a hater of mw2 at all, in fact i bought  it on both consoles and have prestiged many times, still play it every damn night - but ill be damned if it isnt the most ridiculously punishing for 2 hours due to getting spawn raped by every killstreak in the game- then respawning in front of the same sniper 3 times in a row, finally spawning somewhere else and getting knifed instantly - compared to the 15 minutes after that where you get your rewards, and its the best damn game ever made when your chopper gunner rapes the server. 
    But seriously if the spawn points were fixed, or even allowed you to spawn on team mates / team spawn points- a la killzone 2 or bad company 2 a lot of this games issues would go away!!
    Bastard addictive game making me hate myself xD
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

surprise surprise

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By JohnDudebro

I think this just justifies Activision's complaint. Activision says they were making deals with EA and planning to steal all the people from IW. Now, this soon after they're fired, they start up a new studio with EA. Sounds like Activision was right.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Toxin066

I like the name "Respawn Entertainment." Also, cool news.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MrKlorox

Annddd.... nobody's surprised. Congrats EA. You won the modern FPS market. My first (and only actual) FPS clan was named Respawn. That's neat.

Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Korone

What an awful name for a company.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @FireBurger said:
    " @get2sammyb: They may have some sort of no-competition clause in their contracts, meaning the might not be able to work for another studio for X amount of time. "
    Non-Comps are usually voided when you're fired. Michael Pachter confirmed this on Gamasutra as well. "Activision can't keep [West and Zampella] from working." Link 

@BananaKid said:
    " I think this just justifies Activision's complaint. Activision says they were making deals with EA and planning to steal all the people from IW. Now, this soon after they're fired, they start up a new studio with EA. Sounds like Activision was right. "
    It's been almost 6 weeks. I'm sure EA guys were on the phone trying to set meetings the day the news broke. It wouldn't be hard to get a new studio up and running based on their cred, even if they hadn't had any talks with EA previously. 6 weeks is a long time for people who do business with millions of dollars. Not saying they didn't have talks with EA before getting fired, but this doesn't mean they did either.
    FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FireSketch
    @knowc:  Yeah, I imagine Activision was behind the lack of dedicated servers for MW2.
    Although maybe Activision just have a bad rep with me :3

Hey, welcome to Giant Bomb! It rocks!
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By get2sammyb

You know what though, the more that breaks about this story the more I think Activision weren't necessarily in the wrong. But I guess we'll never know the full truth.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#64  Edited By citizenkane

I wish them all the success.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By HandsomeDead

I look forward to seeing what they come up with but I hope it's something other than a ripped from the headlines FPS.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By FireBurger
    @JokerSmilez: I should have quoted. I said that because someone said that the rest of the Infinity Ward team might jump ship and join Respawn. I was referring to those employees.

@knowc: Welcome to Giant Bomb, man.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @FireBurger said:
    " @JokerSmilez: I should have quoted. I said that because someone said that the rest of the Infinity Ward team might jump ship and join Respawn. I was referring to those employees.
    But even if IW people jump ship and end up working for Respawn, that doesn't mean that West and Zampella were specifically soliciting them before getting fired. They could have just really enjoyed with working with them over the years. When Jeff Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot, Ryan Davis, Brad Shoemaker, and Vinny Caravella all left to continue to work with Jeff.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#68  Edited By natetodamax

Nice!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#69  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, after being team killed by Activision, Zampella and West have respawned on the other side. No doubt other IW alumni will follow.  It will be interesting to see what they do next.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By jmrwacko
    @MacEG said:
    " Incredible name. Respawn Entertainment. Booyah grandma! "
    The name's a bit telling about the games they're going to put out. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Bionicicide

2 ex-IW quit today. Guess that solidifies the competition clause...

Jon Shiring - programmer - 6 years, 11 months
    Mackey McCandlish - lead designer - 8 years

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I guess this makes that new Medal of Honour game kind of redundant now then. Unless they have some new idea in mind.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#73  Edited By TheHT

This is where things get crazy lol. In the end though, all I really care about is what happens to Soap and Price.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By tmthomsen

It's just two dudes. Their visions alone does not make a great game.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Bionicicide
    @TMThomsen said:

" It's just two dudes. Their visions alone does not make a great game. "

Same can be said for directors and producers of films... wait...
    Avatar image for randominternetperson
    RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@swamplord666 said:
    " I give Activision two more top selling modern warfare games before people jump ships. Hopefully they can't revamp GH otherwise they're in the shit "
    Fix'd!
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I like the sound of that. A new IP would be even better!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DystopiaX
    @jmrwacko said:

" @MacEG said:

The name's a bit telling about the games they're going to put out. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. "
    Are you really going to hate on some developers before even THEY know what they're doing? 
    For someone with 1000+ posts you're either a dedicated hater or a troll.
    MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MacEG
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @jmrwacko said:

" @MacEG said:

The name's a bit telling about the games they're going to put out. Die. Respawn. Die. Respawn. "
    Are you really going to hate on some developers before even THEY know what they're doing? For someone with 1000+ posts you're either a dedicated hater or a troll. "
    Most of his posts have some sort of cynicism/bitterness/pessimism associated with them. I mean if I was depressed, I'd be the same way.  :)
    Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Fontan

I sure hope they make something different than MoH or Cod. Best of luck to them.

At least until they all come back to Activision because EA is being  a jerk and so on and on...

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jmrwacko
    @MacEG said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @jmrwacko said:

" @MacEG said:

Are you really going to hate on some developers before even THEY know what they're doing? For someone with 1000+ posts you're either a dedicated hater or a troll. "
    Most of his posts have some sort of cynicism/bitterness/pessimism associated with them. I mean if I was depressed, I'd be the same way.  :) "
    Haters gonna hate. Also, I'm commenting on the Call of Duty franchise. 

If you want to hear something positive from my mouth, I really do enjoy games with a good old fashioned spawn timers and spawn protection, like Battlefield and Team Fortress 2.

Instant Call of Duty respawns, however, just lead to terrible spawning and constantly getting shot in the back. And so I'm wary of a studio full of the people responsible for MW2 calling themselves "Respawn Entertainment."
    MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MacEG
    @jmrwacko said:

" @MacEG said:

" @DystopiaX said:

" @jmrwacko said:

" @MacEG said:

Most of his posts have some sort of cynicism/bitterness/pessimism associated with them. I mean if I was depressed, I'd be the same way.  :) "
    Haters gonna hate. Also, I'm commenting on the Call of Duty franchise.   If you want to hear something positive from my mouth, I really do enjoy games with a good old fashioned spawn timers and spawn protection, like Battlefield and Team Fortress 2.  Instant Call of Duty respawns, however, just lead to terrible spawning and constantly getting shot in the back. And so I'm wary of a studio full of the people responsible for MW2 calling themselves "Respawn Entertainment." "
    Buckle up cause this one is a doozy.

Also, I don't mean to bash Battlefield or Team Fortress 2, I think both of those objective based multiplayer games are great. I remember playing Gold Rush (TF2) for hours and hours even though my team was terrible just because it was a ton of fun. Why? The objective of the game type was to move the coal bucket train thing to the other end of the level. Not killing people. Now, if you wanted to win, you have to kill people, HOWEVER, their was something for everyone, even if you didn't kill anyone, you could camp the bucket and help your team move it to the next checkpoint. If you hop into a TDM or DM in Modern Warfare 2, yes, their will be some "terrible spawning" but that's because the only objective is to kill the people spawning. Their is no other objective. You kill people. They respawn. They kill you. You respawn. Etc etc until a score limit is reached.

Now, as you said you are a fan of the Battlefield. I've played three Battlefield games (Bad Cmmpany 1, 1943, and Heroes) and to my recollection (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) their was only objective based games. Their was a ticket system in place to give the game a definitive end. (i.e. My team has no more respawn tickets, I guess we can't respawn.)

To address the "[lack of] good old fashioned spawn timers": In any of the objective based gametypes in Modern Warfare 2, their is the "good old fashioned spawn timers" that you want. Guess what? These are just like in the objective based games you and I mentioned above.

To address the spawn protection: This feature may not seem as apparent in MW2 as it is in Battlefield or TF2 but it is implemented so I'll try and explain myself as clearly as I can. Their is a reason why they made Modern Warfare 2 so customizable. For every rock, their is paper, for every paper, their is scissors, for every scissor, their is rock, etc. To combat "terrible spawning and constantly getting shot in the back" MW2 gives you a series of "Death Streaks". For example, Tactical Insertion = spawn anywhere thus eliminating bad spawn. Pain Pill = More health when you come back. Whether these are better or worse than TF2 and Battlefield is up for debate.

In summary, if someone were to come from a game like Battlefield or TF2, I, being a rational and reasonable person, understand that this could take some getting used to as this spawn protection isn't the "good old fashioned...spawn protection". 

If these seems to break the game for you, fine, that's cool. Their isn't any reason to have any sort of animosity/bitterness towards the developers just because you expected something old fashioned that clearly won't be in a game of this magnitude. People don't dump money into a game like MW2 and expect something old fashioned. That is unless it's towards Gears of War 2's multiplayer. :) 

I don't mean for this to be mean. In fact, I'll probably run into you on TF2 or 1943. We'll play a few games, find out we both like Chinese food and the Washington Capitals and we'll be bff4everzzz. Just keep in mind that not everyone on the internet is as dumb as you think they are.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Bionicicide

2 more left IW (veteran animators). Kotick's killstreak is at 13.

[crystalball]This new Infinity Ward will suck with their leadership gone, now Treyarch can be called the better CoD developer.[/crystalball]

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#84  Edited By jakob187

What purpose does this move honestly serve other than to pull off childish shit through business and contracts?  I mean, EA already had Crysis and Battlefield...and from what it seems, they'll have Medal of Honor as well that will at least be decent...I hope.  What purpose does Respawn signing up with EA Partners honestly serve FOR THE GAMERS?

This can prove very problematic for West, Zampella, and EA altogether, as part of the Activision countersuit specifically states that West and Zampella had made a trip to a Northern California competitor...and then EA came out basically saying "we don't know what you're talking about".  This proves part of EA's countersuit right, and if West and Zampella did indeed make that trip, that can spell massive trouble. 

Personally, I'm behind Activision on this one, as much as I hate Kotick.  The fact is that West and Zampella were under contract, and it seems they wanted to act like assholes about it all.  Whether you like the ethics of the company you work for or not, you don't bite the hand that feeds and then expect to walk away scott-free. 

In the end, though...I just want someone to suffer utter humilation.  Whether it's Kotick, West, or Zampella, I just want it to blow the fuck up in their face and leave them balling like a baby.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jmrwacko
    @MacEG said:
    "
    To address the spawn protection: This feature may not seem as apparent in MW2 as it is in Battlefield or TF2 but it is implemented so I'll try and explain myself as clearly as I can. Their is a reason why they made Modern Warfare 2 so customizable. For every rock, their is paper, for every paper, their is scissors, for every scissor, their is rock, etc. To combat "terrible spawning and constantly getting shot in the back" MW2 gives you a series of "Death Streaks". For example, Tactical Insertion = spawn anywhere thus eliminating bad spawn. Pain Pill = More health when you come back. Whether these are better or worse than TF2 and Battlefield is up for debate.  "
    In my experience, all death streaks seem to do is cause good players to die in lame ways. Especially painkiller *shutters* But I don't quite follow the old-school versus new-style spawning argument. There's been random, unprotected insta-spawns in FPS's since Doom. I think the base respawning in TF2 and, to some degree, in the Battlefield games actually came later on.

But I think I'm going offtrack. Point was to discuss Respawn Entertainment. I really don't know what they're going to make yet, so I can't legitimately bash on them. I hope maybe they release a new IP with a different type of gameplay than the CoD series, like a third-person shooter to rival the Gears of War franchise.
    MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MacEG
    @jmrwacko said:

If you want to hear something positive from my mouth, I really do enjoy games with a good old fashioned spawn timers and spawn protection, like Battlefield and Team Fortress 2.  

But I don't quite follow the old-school versus new-style spawning argument. There's been random, unprotected insta-spawns in FPS's since Doom.   

I think the base respawning in TF2 and, to some degree, in the Battlefield games actually came later on.  But I think I'm going offtrack. Point was to discuss Respawn Entertainment. I really don't know what they're going to make yet, so I can't legitimately bash on them. I hope maybe they release a new IP with a different type of gameplay than the CoD series, like a third-person shooter to rival the Gears of War franchise. "

"...I really do enjoy games with a good old fashioned spawn timers and spawn protection, like Battlefield and Team Fortress 2." Was this not your response? Did someone post this under your name without your knowledge? Did you forget you posted it? If any of these questions is true (It was not your response, someone else posted it, you forgot) then I completely understand not being able to quite follow it.  
    What surprises me is where you got the notion that I made an "old-school versus new-style spawning argument." This never came up in my post. I was leveling with your assertion that Battlefield and Team Fortress 2 are "good old fashioned".

"I hope they release a new IP with a different type of gameplay than the CoD series, like a third-person shooter to rival the Gears of War franchise."  That would be awesome. Gears needs some sort of competition to give it a push in the right direction. Not that I think it's in the wrong direction per se, I just feel like they seem a bit stagnant. They're (Respawn Entertainment) partnered with EA in some sort of regard so I'm hoping that they can get a game that's more focused on squad combat, and has the HUGE levels and gameplay like the Battlefields, running at 60fps and looking visually like Uncharted 2. (I haven't played Uncharted 2 yet but I hear it's incredibly incredible.)
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jmrwacko

Oh god, there seems to be a huge misunderstanding here. I meant "good old fashioned" to just mean good, not to necessarily mean it's more antiquated. Sorry about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.