Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Return of the Obra Dinn

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 18, 2018

In this 1-bit first-person mystery game, a merchant ship called the Obra Dinn has re-appeared, years after being declared lost at sea. As an insurance adjuster, the player must examine the ship for clues.

Any chance of console release?

Froghourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I really want to play this game but I don't currently have access to a good PC at home. I don't know if Lucas Pope has released any of his other games on consoles before but the mechanics of this game seem relatively simple, it is much more about deducing stuff than about a lot of moving parts like in Papers, Please where the lack of mouse and keyboard shortcuts would really hinder the experience.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sure give it some time, i don't think there's anything out official yet but it would be a dumb move not to do so.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dunno, Papers, Please never was on console but the interface there would’ve been impossible to translate to a controller.

There’s still a lot of interface quirks that feel “PC only” in here, the game is not playable with a controller on PC, but I can see how it could be made. I wouldn’t hold my breath personally, Pope puts a lot of importance in how the book feels like actual paperwork to do and I can see the game losing some of that with a controller.

Froghourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fear_the_booboo:
    I have only seen the quick look but to me it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to translate the book to a controller? Is there anything special about the way they do it with mouse and keyboard that I am missing? You could some of the shortcuts on the shoulder buttons or maybe even facebuttons, since it seems like the really is only movement + action button in the "real" game.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@froghourt: Mostly the inspecting the drawing, but that could be done with a Destiny style cursor. The thing here is how seamless and organic it feels, which might be hard to get “right” with a controller. I don’t think it’s impossible though.

I think the fact that the PC version doesn’t even have controller support itself is telling, from his two games it’s clear that Pope loves using interface as metaphor. Obra Dinn is definitely friendler to a console than Papers, Please, I’d think it’d be a good fit. I don’t think it’s a given though.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

@fear_the_booboo: I played through the entire game with an Xbox One controller... There’s definitely controller support.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l33t_haxor: ... well then I’m an idiot, sorry for all that!

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Probably, but it seems like it's a small team (or maybe only Lucas Pope) who's doing the work.

I don't think the game is graphics heavy, I could play it on my Mac without any hitches. And seems like you could play it with controller, but it's definitely easy for me to use mouse to select texts and portraits though.

You can try an old demo here: https://dukope.itch.io/return-of-the-obra-dinn

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Papers, Please is on Vita so... maybe?

Froghourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sub_o: I currently only have my work laptop and even though I was told it was "newer" model it can barely run a word document and a browser at the same time without it slowing to a crawl, let alone games!

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@froghourt: That's a pure bummer. Work laptop that could barely run MS Word and Browser at the same time.

It'd probably come to console, just that it'd take sometime

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.