Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

RiME

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 26, 2017

An puzzle-adventure game title set on a mysterious island from Tequila Works.

I guess RiME is out tomorrow. Who's interested?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I only know this because I'm now seeing reviews. This game looked like a mix of Wind Waker, Shadow of the Colossus and I suppose Journey as well when they first showed it, and that had me super interested. Now that it's out tomorrow and being reviewed now, it's reviewing not too badly. Did anyone else realize it's finally out tomorrow, does anyone care? Ha ha. It looked really interesting then, but if I remember correctly, there were some development issues along the way? I just know that over time I kind of stopped thinking about it, and so it's a surprise that it's out tomorrow. I don't know if I'll get it tomorrow, but I might take a look at it at some point. If and when you play it, go ahead and please discuss it here. Say whether you're even interested or not. I wonder if we're going to get a quick look (seems like a Brad game).

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Dan_CiTi  Online

Me! Gonna grab it for the Switch. It was in the category of Cuphead, Below, and a few others that fell into the cool looking indie game that felt like they were never coming out description. I hope it's really good.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi: That's cool. Yeah, wow. It's on the Switch. I don't think I knew that. Didn't it use to be a PS4 exclusive? I could probably go read about it to refresh my memory...

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By katpottz

I think it's only going to be out on ps4 tomorrow with the switch coming "this summer".

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I'm excited

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I should pick this up, but it's apparently longer than I expected (around 10 hours). These days, I prefer my indie games to be short and compact enough for an evening or two.

I'll wait, I guess.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Castiel

I'm excited

But how excited are you though? Are you so excited you just can't hide it?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

@castiel: yes , I wanna shout it on top of rooftops!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brutal thread title.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@glots: Ditto. Was gonna get it but the GameSpot review really turned me off from it.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gerrid

I'm really enjoying it so far. Lovely atmosphere, if you enjoyed ico, last guardian or journey you'll probably like it. quite charming and has a nice sense of adventure.

some of the puzzles are great, some of them a little easy, some a little obtuse. but it's fun to explore.

the music is wonderful, and it combines with the art direction at times for some beautiful moments. the story is quite touching and sweet and there are also some very cool parts, particularly in the third area. it goes to some places I want expecting.

one tip: turn up your brightness. some of the areas are really dark .I will say the dark section they show in the quick look is my least favourite part of the whole game by quite some way.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LeStephan

Completely agree, I actually think I might like it way better than Abzu & Journey in every way.

@gerrid said:

I'm really enjoying it so far. Lovely atmosphere, if you enjoyed ico, last guardian or journey you'll probably like it. quite charming and has a nice sense of adventure.

some of the puzzles are great, some of them a little easy, some a little obtuse. but it's fun to explore.

the music is wonderful, and it combines with the art direction at times for some beautiful moments. the story is quite touching and sweet and there are also some very cool parts, particularly in the third area. it goes to some places I want expecting.

one tip: turn up your brightness. some of the areas are really dark .I will say the dark section they show in the quick look is my least favourite part of the whole game by quite some way.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: If you're interpreting it like I was saying it with no enthusiasm, that wouldn't be correct, though I can understand why it could be seen as that. I said 'I guess' because it was to my surprise that it was out tomorrow, then. Or, you could just be saying you don't like the way it was written, which is fine I suppose, ha ha.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By frustratedlnc

Great art design. Game looks and sounds fantastic....but there's something a little off about it. I can't really articulate it, but there's a tedium to everything you're doing. I think "generic" is the best way I can describe it. I find myself slogging through the puzzles, or slowly running from place to place, only to get a look at the next set piece because nothing else is motivating me to keep going. This is coming from a person who has Journey in their top 10 games of all time. It should be grabbing me more than it is, but playing it is kind of a chore. The platforming and general movement is slow, and the frame rate drops constantly, to the point it makes me motion sick. That said, I'm going to finish it. I think the art direction makes it worth playing. This feels like a 3/5 type game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone finished it and can say how it turned out without spoilers? I am ready to buy it (or not). I want to get a little more insight from the community here before perhaps playing it myself.

xenocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: what do you want to know?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

Finished the game! It was pretty good. I thought that a little less than halfway through the game, its symbolic nature and what was really going on became obvious, but I wasn't disappointed. It became obvious after I grabbed one of the collectibles (the second one I picked up). There's a thread going on about using the old GameSpot scoring system, for RiME, I'd say it's like this (although, I'm going to twist it a bit):

Gameplay: 7.5

It was fun to explore a decently varied and just nice looking setting alone; I had little to no issue with any of the puzzles, but I enjoyed them well enough. A lot of it has to either do with matching something up by shadows and/or shouting at things to activate, but what revolves around all of it feels varied. I think the character controls pretty well other than a few times where it was awkward to figure what way I was supposed to turn the stick for him to jump from one place to another as he clambered onto a ledge.

Graphics: 9.25

Beautiful game. My only complaints would be that the shadow work isn't perfect, the frame rate (though not as intrusive as I thought it would be) isn't always steady. Also, two things that are really negligible but I'll mention anyway is that it seemed awkward, almost archaic visually that when your character steps onto sand it doesn't leave footprints. The main character's facial and hair design is basic if I want to stretch it.

Sound: 9.5

Good music, nice ambiance. The only issues were some of the sound mixing (if that's the correct term for it), where footsteps sounded as though they were behind me even though the player character was always in the center of the screen in those moments. So I wish it did better with its surround in some ways. There was also a moment where there were heavy footsteps (again with footsteps), and the sound would crackle, and the only reason I could think of why it'd happen is that there was too much of it and the game couldn't handle it.

Value: 4

I don't imagine I'll play it again, but I won't say never.

Tilt: 8.25

From what I understand, reviewers tilt is where the reviewer would try to higher or lower the overall score with a number. I don't feel it's great enough to go into the nines, but not simply 'good' that it'd go into the sevens, but in the end, the final score would be: 7.7

The replay value is the biggest issue I suppose. I recommend people play it. The game didn't really feel like Journey to me other than some of the ways the lighting works I guess... and another thing that I won't mention. It was more akin to The Last Guardian minus Trico obviously (though, and not to go into spoilers, there are a couple of 'companions' if you will). It has a Wind Waker-esque visual design to me. While I don't regret buying it at its current price, I'd say wait until it's fifty percent off. I'd go into more detail about how the game made me feel, but I think that'd go into spoiler territory so I won't do that. The end didn't make me cry, but it's definitely sad, and I felt not just by the end, but some of the latter half moments were sad themselves, so it's a lead-up and not just a specific moment in my opinion.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ezekiel

It's decent, but shallow so far. It can easily get boring.

I also don't like the sound as much as most people probably do. It's a good soundtrack, but there's too much of it. It's always there, repeating the same tunes over and over. I finally turned it off because I wanted to be at peace and listen to the ambience. But I know I'm gonna have to turn it up again later.

mike_maple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just played through RiME for the third time in a row, I absolutely love it. I'm a huge Journey fan too, and I think that RiME is easily a match for Journey. OK, so the puzzles may let it down a bit for some, but apart from their simplicity, I really liked the novel idea of using perspective in the game. But puzzles or no puzzles, I found it very moving - not just the end section (Yes I cried - each time!), but little things like Enu meeting the fox for the first time, singing in the Labyrinth of darkness etc. Maybe I'm just a soft-hearted old so and so, but this is why I play games like Rime and Journey: for the story, not for the challenge, and to be touched by a work of art, (including the soundtrack - in both cases wonderful). It's just such a shame that such games are few and far between (I'd be interested in any recommendations in the same genre). I'm waiting impatiently for a friend to hurry up with the game (he's still on the first level, getting put off by the puzzles) so I'll have someone to talk about it with - the impact of the ending has really stuck with me all through the week.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been holding off on this cuz of the janky PC port. I heard the latest patch fixed the frame rate problems. Can anyone confirm?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.