Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

Should I play the reboot first, or go straight to Rise?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SSully

Poll Should I play the reboot first, or go straight to Rise? (99 votes)

Just play Rise of the Tomb Raider 20%
    Play through the reboot first 80%

A friend gifted me this for my birthday. I still have the reboot on PS4 when it was free on PS Plus, but I never played it. Should I just go straight to Rise, or is it really worth going through the reboot first?

UPDATE: So I took everyone's advice and played both games. You all were correct, both games are fantastic. Just some notes:

Tomb Raider:

• Tomb Raider was great, but it definitely was at it's worst when it was trying to be like Uncharted. The set pieces just never felt that great, and it just made me want to get back to the slower combat, platforming, and light puzzles
    • Not nearly enough Tombs in the first game

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

• They took my biggest two complaints with the first game and correct them. They added way more Tombs in the game, and each tomb was unique and fun. I sought every single one out. The set pieces were also improved a ton. They looked and felt great.
    • Hub area's were fantastic.
    • Game is beautiful on PC. I was constantly hitting the screenshot key.
    • The last third of the game really fell off in terms of story. The combat and set pieces stayed consistent, but the antagonists almost literally fall in from the sky and then just get wrapped up in the end. Also the way they wrap up Lara's arc is kind of sloppy and way too similar to the first game ("I am going to explore the worlds secrets for me; no one else").

Both games are easy 4 out of 5 star games for me. I can't recommend them both enough despite some minor short comings.

• 
    xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The reboot is a very good game and definitely worth playing. Besides, rise is a direct sequel and while you don't have to have played the first it's nice knowing how it all began. I also think that if you don't like the reboot it's unlikely you will like Rise all that much. While it's improved over the original they are still the same style of game.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The reboot is a great game and leads directly into Rise, I played them back to back in a week and had an amazing time.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

You could just play the reboot (you don't need the story from Rise really to understand it).

However, the reboot is a great game and definitely worth playing.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Play the reboot first.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Agreed, while it isn't necessary, the reboot is very very good. I would argue the 4th best game of that year.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ivdamke

The reboot is ok, just be wary that both games are basically the same game so you could burn out. I played the reboot first and subsequently got bored half way through Rise because the gameplay systems are almost 100% the exact same. Rise feels like an expansion pack more than a full sequel with how little new it does and the stories for both games are borderline terrible so they don't make up for it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played the sequel, but I would honestly play that just because the protagonist is prettier. The story in the first one is worthless. It's not even good enough to be a generic summer blockbuster movie. Gameplay-wise, they're pretty much the same.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play the reboot. It's a good game and Rise improves on pretty much everything

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Start with the first. The pacing's a bit tighter and it's a nice intro to this new storyline.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually preferred the first one as Rise added a lot of superfluous open world stuff I'm tired of.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I haven't played the newer one, but the original reboot feels like something you'd get a lot of mileage out of before moving on to the more expensive sequel.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael

You shouldn't skip the 2013 Tomb Raider because it is a better game with superior level design. Lara gets beat up more in the first one too which is good because the only remotely engaging part of either of the stories is where she is depicted as a survivor who endures a bunch of fucked up shit and still keeps struggling. The sequel has prettier environments but isn't quite as much fun to play as the first one. The difference in quality between the two isn't huge though.

Also if you don't play the first one you will miss out on the unshown but implied story of how Lara was a perfect beautiful angel and then ruined herself with facial plastic surgery after her adventures on the Island of Getting Impaled by Sticks.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By paulmako

You have the first one already, so play that first. It might be harder to go back after the newer game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

The first game is great and should not be skipped. Now whether or not you play it first is up to you, but regardless both are worth your time.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemael said:

Also if you don't play the first one you will miss out on the unshown but implied story of how Lara was a perfect beautiful angel and then ruined herself with facial plastic surgery after her adventures on the Island of Getting Impaled by Sticks.

Lol whut? I never finished the reboot, this is making me really curious.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

In some ways I think the 2013 reboot is better than Rise - it's more focused, has better pacing and better variety in the environments. After a while I got a little too bogged down by the constant snow in Rise of the Tomb Raider. I think they really took those criticisms of Lara not wearing a jacket in the first one to heart and decided "here fuckers, now she wears a jacket the entire time!" I missed the "iconic" tank top look throughout the game and even when I unlocked it as a skin it just felt weird since you're constantly wading in knee high snow.

That said they are both excellent games. They have the awesome gameplay that Uncharted always promised but never quite delivered on. The story is decent in both but like I said, it's more focused in the first game. I'd also argue the 2013 reboot has a few cinematic moments that surpass the ones in the sequel. I think Rise of the Tomb Raider while an excellent game, went the "bigger, not necessarily better" route.

@lestephan That isn't actually true and never happens, but you should still finish it because it's a good game. Unless you didn't enjoy your time with it, then just ..continue not finishing it I suppose.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Play the reboot. It's a great game and totally worth the play through.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.