Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

So Microsoft is indeed publishing RotTR

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

A Microsoft executive has confirmed that the corporation will act as publisher for Square Enix's Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox One.

Aaron Greenberg, a marketing manager for Xbox, revealed the deal when responding to a fan on Twitter.

The newest revelation sheds light on the finer details of The Rise of the Tomb Raider's timed exclusivity deal for Xbox One, but also poses questions about how future ports to other systems will be handled.

Microsoft's agreement to act as publisher likely means it will handle marketing and distribution costs; which possibly could be a responsibility it has taken to help broker the exclusivity deal in the first place.

The deal also suggests how deep the agreement between the two companies has become, as well as how much of the publishing costs Microsoft is willing to shoulder in order to seal an exclusivity agreement. That also, in turn, suggests how far into the future the exclusivity period could last.

Currently, both Microsoft and Square Enix are only saying The Rise of the Tomb Raider is a "holiday 2015" exclusive.

A representative for Square Enix has told GameSpot that Microsoft is providing support across the entire development and publishing pipeline for Rise of the Tomb Raider. The publisher has not yet commented on whether this affects plans for a PlayStation 4 version.

“Yes, Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox," Square Enix's statement read.

"Microsoft has always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and they will get behind this game with more support across development, marketing and retail than ever before, which we believe will be a step in continuing to build the Tomb Raider franchise as one of the biggest in gaming.”

Microsoft turned heads in August when it revealed that Lara Croft's latest adventure would only be available on Xbox One for a limited time.

In December, Sony revealed it had a major third-party exclusive of its own with Street Fighter V, which will be a PS4 and PC exclusive.

GameSpot: Rise of the Tomb Raider Will be Published by Microsoft

No Caption Provided

I'm not very sure if it is or isn't going to other platforms like PS4, or like Wii U at this point. Sure, so Microsoft is publishing this release, but Square Enix owns the Tomb Raider IP so then they could publish RoTR on other platforms after right?

I'm just gonna bet here that 2015 is only gonna more complicated and everybody is getting 10 exclusive 3rd party titles to each platform, that you can't play anywhere else ever. Double or nothing, in 2016.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By brandondryrock

Hopefully this means they'll bring it to PC later, like they did with Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

This just makes this while situation more confusing. I wish microsoft was transparent with this deal. The only thing I could think of, is that this deal has been evolving over time to the point where it is an xbox one exclusive. This will probably end up on pc eventually I imagine...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hassun

It's surprising that, even though MS is publishing the game, it still isn't a true exclusive.

Then again it would be smart of them to put it out on PC and Xbox One. That way the sales numbers will look better vs Uncharted. At least if counterprogramming Uncharted is their true objective.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roboculus92

I think it's pretty likely this ends up on PC eventually. However, if they are actually publishing it then I'm not sure if it makes it to PS4.

edit: Oh wait I forgot that they confirmed this back in August. So yeah, nothing has changed.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Curious. Glad I got an Xbox, since I'm replaying TR on PS4 and it's even better than I remember.

Guess they wanna hard-counter Uncharted, big time.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AthleticShark

This changes nothing. They will just release a new version after the exclusivity contract ends. That will then be published by a new group. As the article says publishing really only means advertising and distribution.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it. I would rather have tomb raider than unchartered.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Is this different than Bayonetta 2 being published by Nintendo and having it only available for Wii U?

BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember, Microsoft published the first Mass Effect and that came to PlayStation after awhile. I think, if the Xbox One was doing better in the markets they would have came right out and said it was an Xbox only game but Im thinking the way this looks Square Enix might be trying to judge what would be the best for profits. I mean look at the loud back lash when the game was first announced. Right now Square Enix might be to scared to sign that "total system exclusive" contract.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Microsoft stated it was a timed exclusive after exclusivity was announced

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@jay_ray said:

Microsoft stated it was a timed exclusive after exclusivity was announced

They also stated the Xbox One wouldn't be sold without Kinect. Shit can change, and if there's a move MS can make that they think will make the X1 more attractive to people, they've proven that they'll do it. Let's also keep in mind that the "timed exclusive" may simply refer to a PC version of the game coming later. Given this news, I would not be at all surprised if this game never makes it to PS4.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man what an awful, awful name.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@nickhead said:

Is this different than Bayonetta 2 being published by Nintendo and having it only available for Wii U?

Yes. Nintendo paid for the development of Bayonetta 2 in addition to paying for marketing and distribution, giving Nintendo an absolute exclusive. Microsoft is only paying for marketing and distribution of RotT, not the cost of development, which is being paid by Square Enix, and so Microsoft is only securing a timed exclusive.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I own an Xbox One, so the exclusivity doesn't really bother me, but it apparently being on 360 does.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.