Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

This game has card packs, so... microtransactions?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

Update: Looking in to it further (it's hard to find information on this that isn't almost a year old) there is no multiplayer. These cards are in single player, and can be used to challenge your friends but the primary function is ability buffs and bonuses. I don't know if they will be consumable or activated on a cooldown, or just permanent unlocks.

Checking out my favourite online retailer I noticed they had some exclusive pre-order DLC which includes a card pack with a foil card. Not physical cards, the consumable kind. No, you don't eat them. Well, maybe Lara does. To gain their power. I don't know if they're actually for sale in the game but my guess is that they will be. Halo 5 has them, as well as Star Wars Battlefront. It seems like most multiplayer games are opting for random unlocks and consumables through card pack microtransactions.

Unlike the majority of the internet I actually really enjoy this model. Maybe it gives me a bit of a gambling buzz since I don't actually do gambling. It was a lot of fun in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare and Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. It seems off here but maybe that's because I have zero interest in the multiplayer. So what do you all think? It's not surprising since so many games do it now but I've not seen anyone talk about it in this game.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

This is it. We're in the future we were warned about. Wonder how long this will be a thing...

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Those burn cards Titanfall had for free, Tomb Raider is charging for.

God, modern games have terrible things in them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think this is for multiplayer, I'm pretty sure this is for a challenge mode.

In fact, does this game even have multiplayer?

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

God, I hope this isn't a feature of the story mode. The wording on the Amazon page made it sound like that's how it worked.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Oh boy, I don't neccessarily like the look of that. To be honest, the reboot already had some minor pre-order DLC that was tolerable but filthy in principle (exclusive tomb and some skills came unlocked from the start) and tons of garbage for multiplayer. Between warning signs like this and their exclusivity move this starts to look a lot like a 10-20€ GOTY edition buy for me. As much as I want the TR games to be succesful and get to play them sooner rather than later. This shit's not going to stop if I reward them for it.

Fuck big business. Seriously.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the industry fuck cards

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo, Tomb Raider, probably Battlefront...these fucking cards...

Isn't it weird how all of a sudden everyone is using the same tactics to squeeze their players of more money?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By alistercat

@village_guy: I believe it is co-operative multiplayer, I didn't say it was death match or the last Tomb Raider. I did check the wiki page before posting this and it's on there though the article is pretty barren.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: DICE or EA have said they're not selling card packs in Battlefront and there'll be no microtransactions. The cards you buy you just buy as packs of what they are, so you buy a pack of 10 uses of the ion grenade or whatever.

I don't think it's too weird though. You can see how it seeped in from free to play games on both mobile and even on console and pc (warframe). They all sell card packs and it's just such a nice easy system for them to slot into a game.

@alistercat The multiplayer stuff sounds like it's just leaderboard stuff. There'll be challenge maps and objectives that you compete against each other for high score or best time.

@razzuel - My guess is the card packs are going to be the "best" way to get resources for upgrading your weapons and gear.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@spraynardtatum: I'm hoping some big franchise sends a message about not using these crap microtransactions mechanics where they don't belong and the community responds well to it. Then the rest of the industry backpeddles from it as well. Much in the same way Sony got MS to backpeddle from their DRM stuff.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think this comes from the failure of passive marketing to sell more games. No matter how good the sales campaign, a game sells as much as it going to with or without tv ad, billboards, or magazine add space. So marketers figured out the ONLY want to make more money, is to make their marketing COST something to the user. They couldn't sell more games with 'passive showing', but they sure as hell can make all useful objects shiny desirable objects in a game cost something.

"Look at me! My idea has made my company millions...now I am justifying my job in a way a successful marketing campaign never could!'

Where we are now is occurring because we, as gamers, got too good at ignoring marketing. Passive advertising didn't really increase revenue, what increased revenue is literately showing you a thing you can't have without paying. Anything worth having or interesting is now pay DLC. And we can't just fight this with our wallets...you HAVE TO scream and yell. You have to say "THIS SUCKS, THIS IS DIRTY" if you feel it is dirty. (If you don't well whatever that's you choice.) Otherwise, the marketers are just given free reign to try something else. We have to be very clear these sleazy tactics turn us off.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@cky4890 said:

I hate the industry fuck cards

What did the Fuck Cards Industry ever do to you?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: yeah I couldn't find any information on multiplayer, other than them saying there is no traditional multiplayer. It seems to be similar to the hitman multiplayer, where you can do challenges but in this you can set a series of cards that they have to complete the challenge using the same cards.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I saw a shadow... it must have been Michael Transactions on the scene again!

One day he'll stop slipping through our fingers and we'll catch that crafty character.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to buy Tomb Raider now!

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure you can still play all of the game without any of the card BS. Take panties and unbunch them.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I don't like the consumable worry that Jeff detailed (should I spend my card on this match we are probably going to lose?) invading all these games.

But hard to say how much it matters. In Battlefront beta the card stuff was totally not a worry so who knows.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure you can still play all of the game without any of the card BS. Take panties and unbunch them.

Not really the point. There are thousands of good games out there. I'm going to do my best to support the ones that don't nickle and dime any of their players.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird. While I'm not thrilled about the potential for this to be dirty, it does imply some pretty interesting things about how the game will work. I'll have to play this at some point. I wish it came out this month, next month is just too crowded.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I played a little bit of PvZ:GW when it was given out free to PS4 owners and I kind of liked it. Then I looked into it and realized that if I played poorly I could end up wasting all my cards and might struggle to be able to buy a new pack or would have to put actual money into it. I turned it off and haven't played it since. The whole idea is just kind of gross.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jesus_phish: I feel you on that. There is something to that feeling of worrying about this kind of stuff, whether it comes into play or not. Just having it there as a concern can be unappealing, even if it doesn't become a real hindrance. There are so many other options to play that my patience for that feeling is pretty low.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The multiplayer was pretty good in the first game, kind of a bummer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.