Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sequel

Concept »

A sequel (also called a follow-up) is a game that carries forward the gameplay concepts, and often the story, of a previous game to which it is officially linked.

This or That

blackhawk24601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By blackhawk24601

As y'all know, the video game industry is, first and foremost, a business. Video Game COMPANIES make games they know will turn a profit so that they may continue making games and therefore continue making a profit. Sequels are the most obvious means for game companies to all but ensure that they turn a profit on the games they produce. However, video games are also an art form. Brand new IPs are produced by mega-companies and independent developers alike on an almost daily basis to varying levels of success. 

Those things being said, what would you prefer? If you could have only one of these concepts for ever for the rest of your life which would you choose? Which is more valuable to you?

Option A: You could only play sequels of your favorite franchise for the rest of your life; high quality, regularly produced, and reliable sequels. That being said, you'd never meet new characters or experience new forms of gameplay. Sure, sequels make slight tweaks to their gameplay structures and characters but the core elements of the series remain intact.  You'd always get Call of Duty's kick-ass multiplayer, you'd always get Uncharted's fantastic storyline, of you'd always get Halo (which would be Hell for me but, whatever, you make like that) forever.

Or

Option B: You could only play brand new IPs for the rest of your gaming life meaning: you'd never again see beloved characters that you grew to love over the course of one game or receive "more of the same gameplay", but you would never play the same game twice.  You would always be experiencing something new with no guarantee with regards to quality. You might get Psychonauts or Brutal Legend. You could end up with Deadly Premonition or Alan Wake. You'd never know what would be coming next but it'd always be new.

Obviously this is an entirely hypothetical situation and we will see both sequels and original IPs alike, but which is more important to you?

blackhawk24601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By blackhawk24601

As y'all know, the video game industry is, first and foremost, a business. Video Game COMPANIES make games they know will turn a profit so that they may continue making games and therefore continue making a profit. Sequels are the most obvious means for game companies to all but ensure that they turn a profit on the games they produce. However, video games are also an art form. Brand new IPs are produced by mega-companies and independent developers alike on an almost daily basis to varying levels of success. 

Those things being said, what would you prefer? If you could have only one of these concepts for ever for the rest of your life which would you choose? Which is more valuable to you?

Option A: You could only play sequels of your favorite franchise for the rest of your life; high quality, regularly produced, and reliable sequels. That being said, you'd never meet new characters or experience new forms of gameplay. Sure, sequels make slight tweaks to their gameplay structures and characters but the core elements of the series remain intact.  You'd always get Call of Duty's kick-ass multiplayer, you'd always get Uncharted's fantastic storyline, of you'd always get Halo (which would be Hell for me but, whatever, you make like that) forever.

Or

Option B: You could only play brand new IPs for the rest of your gaming life meaning: you'd never again see beloved characters that you grew to love over the course of one game or receive "more of the same gameplay", but you would never play the same game twice.  You would always be experiencing something new with no guarantee with regards to quality. You might get Psychonauts or Brutal Legend. You could end up with Deadly Premonition or Alan Wake. You'd never know what would be coming next but it'd always be new.

Obviously this is an entirely hypothetical situation and we will see both sequels and original IPs alike, but which is more important to you?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Easily option B. I'd take variation and the potential to constantly stumble upon amazing new games any day.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Easily option B. I'd take variation and the potential to constantly stumble upon amazing new games any day. "
    My feelings exactly.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By FireBurger

B.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mrhankey

Yeah...after reading option A I felt as if the only logical response was B.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By blair

B.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @FireBurger said:
    " B. "
      This \/  and That /\
    @Blair said:
    " B. "
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Arbie

Option B easily. Option A just seemed sad =[ I'd see my favourite characters every time I replayed the game they are in anyway! So definitely B!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax
    @BeachThunder said:
    " B is the only answer.

"
    I lol'd
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AlwaysAngry

A. There are so many different franchises now, that video games are varied enough. If something may come out that I would never think of or know about, well... I would have never known about it. if I chose A, I would just think I had the best thing video games could offer and always enjoy them.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Damian

The styling is creative, Black Sheep are the Native, can't be violated or even deceoticated ... ehem... Sorry. 

B.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By mazik765

Neither. I have no problem with sequels or original IPs as long as they are good games. I don't care if you through Marcus Phoenix's face into some Gears of War spin-off or something, if it's not a great game, I'm not going to enjoy it. Same goes for original IP's. Exploring a fresh new world with great new characters is usually an awesome experience, but if the game is not solid, it won't be fun.

The IP's have very little to do with it. As long as they continue to tell compelling stories filled with interesting characters and solid game mechanics, I really don't care what IP it belongs to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.