Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow of the Colossus

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 18, 2005

Explore the Forbidden Land as Wander, a young warrior who must slay sixteen Colossi in order to restore the life of a sacrificed maiden.

games as art vol 1

breaking3po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By breaking3po

Interpretation of the ending of Shadow of the Collosus from TBW4ever: 
    I was not expecting the resurrection of Lord Dormin. I had definitely noticed Wander's changing complexion over the course of the game as the shadow tendrils consumed him but I would not have guessed that they were fragments of Dormin. Personally I was kind of expecting the price Wander would have to pay would be becoming a colossus himself and that the shadowy figures were the spirits of those who had become colossi before him in exchange for a gift from Dormin.

Not sure where I stand on this, on the one hand it's certainly interesting as far as the prequel to Ico theories go (which I need to play at some point) but I think that Wander becoming an actual Colossus himself and guarding Mono for the rest of her days would have fit more with the game's theme of you becoming the monster yourself instead of a temporary possession by Dormin

breaking3po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By breaking3po

Interpretation of the ending of Shadow of the Collosus from TBW4ever: 
    I was not expecting the resurrection of Lord Dormin. I had definitely noticed Wander's changing complexion over the course of the game as the shadow tendrils consumed him but I would not have guessed that they were fragments of Dormin. Personally I was kind of expecting the price Wander would have to pay would be becoming a colossus himself and that the shadowy figures were the spirits of those who had become colossi before him in exchange for a gift from Dormin.

Not sure where I stand on this, on the one hand it's certainly interesting as far as the prequel to Ico theories go (which I need to play at some point) but I think that Wander becoming an actual Colossus himself and guarding Mono for the rest of her days would have fit more with the game's theme of you becoming the monster yourself instead of a temporary possession by Dormin

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Games aren't art. And its good that they aren't. 

Seriously, you can make any video game ending sound profound if you use the correct wording.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sjupp

There ARE, however, games with art IN them. Like wall mounted pictures. Somebody should make a new concept page.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ryax

windosil is artsy!

breaking3po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By breaking3po

You dont need fancy words. 

And interpretation of Shadow of the Colossus by unkown: If someone can please let know know where this game from originally, that would be uber swell. 

The whole game was about not letting go. She's dead,but you won't let it end that way. You can't let her go. These emotions from the story are reflected and emphasized by the actual gameplay elements. You have to hold on. The grip button is the crux of the game. R1,gripped tightly in your right hand.

Don't fall off!

Don't let go!

But how long can you hold on?

And then the ending. You've held on to the end. Your stubbornnesshas killed your only companion in this unyielding battle against the inevitable. You've become the monsters you've been fighting. And now, defeated, you are dragged from the one you wanted to save, to your apparent doom. Everything is falling away. The last thing you can grab are the stone steps leading up to the pool. And you grab them, following the instincts you learned by playing the game

Find a handhold!

Hold on to something!

Don't let go!

And you can hang on to those cold, stone steps forever...

But you gain nothing. The cutscene doesn't end. The vortex doesn't go away. You can't advance from there. Against all the mechanics of the game you grokked ages ago...

you have to let go...

In that single moment; gameplay, writing, theme, and the high art of ludemes perfectly mix.

You accept your fate; only then can you be redeemed    

breaking3po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By breaking3po
    D Mistuki, Gotta have writes: 
    Art is protected by the first amendment, business isn't. It's why in the 30's movies were heavily edited until some guy finally argued it in court (yes, it had to go to court) that films were art.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.