Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow of the Colossus

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 18, 2005

Explore the Forbidden Land as Wander, a young warrior who must slay sixteen Colossi in order to restore the life of a sacrificed maiden.

So which is your favorite colossus?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll So which is your favorite colossus? (49 votes)

#1- Valus (Minotaur with a hammer) 2%
    #2- Quadratus (Mammoth) 0%
    #3- Gaius (Knight) 8%
    #4- Phaedra (Horse) 0%
    #5- Avion (Bird) 41%
    #6- Barba (Minotaur with a beard) 0%
    #7- Hydrus (Electric Eel) 4%
    #8- Kuromori (Gecko) 4%
    #9- Basaran (Turtle) 4%
    #10- Dirge (Sand snake) 8%
    #11- Celosia (Lion) 0%
    #12- Pelagia (Water...gorilla??) 2%
    #13- Phalanx (Sky snake) 27%
    #14- Cenobia (Wolf I guess) 2%
    #15- Argus (Minotaur with a sword) 4%
    #16- Malus- (Big boi in a dress) 4%

Now that the remake is here and we can appreciate these beasts in all their highly detailed glory in an actually perfect framerate, which one is your favorite after all these years?

I've allowed for multiple choices because I can't choose if I like the bird or turtle more. Grabbing onto that bird and holding on as it soars through the sky and twirls around will NEVER be not breath taking. One of the best moments in video games period right there. Also, the turtle holds a special place in my heart because it's the only one as a kid I couldn't figure out how to defeat. I had to look it up. When I found the answer, I was like OOOOOHHH that's awesome. I think the main reason though I like the turtle so much is the way it flips over after you shoot its feet. I don't think the weight of the colossi is ever demonstrated as well as it is there. It flips over all slow and then BOOOOM and then this song plays after you grab on.

• 
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Just going to leave this here:

No Caption Provided

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: that's weird, I always remembered sword minotaur much much larger than the other two

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BrunoTheThird

The final boss is my favourite fight: the rain, the darkness, the journey, your accumulated emotions having made it finally, the sheer scale, the unbelievably epic music, the climb, and again, that goddamn musical mastery surrounding you.

My favourite design? They're all so good, but I really, really dig Avion. When you first see him perched and start to realize what's required of you after the chase begins, it's the first time the game makes you feel like an ingenious hunter. Giant predatory birds are the scariest shit, also.

Phaedra is my favourite boss pattern/solution, because it relies on you outsmarting it first; actually flanking him, hiding, and taking advantage of his dangly face pieces.

Some of the ones they never ended up using look dope too, look:

No Caption Provided

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: There is some in game footage of those.

Loading Video...

The only one I had problem with was Argus. I had to look up how to beat him.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@kiwikuku: That was so good, thank you! I live for these secrets dug up by mega fans. What a special game this was/is.

The spider, phoenix thing, monkey, and worm bosses would've been great. I wish Bluepoint had maybe fixed them up and included them, or released them as DLC. I wonder if Kow Otani started any music on them... I feel like a kid again, speculating about a game from '05.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm not sure the bird (Avion) was actually my favorite to fight, ever, but it played host to one of the defining moments of my gaming life so it will likely always take this poll by default. The first time I came up against most of the Colossi they turned into long, 40-60 minute fights against the grip meter and my ability to figure out where I was supposed to stab them or what their pattern was. This fight was all grip meter, having beaten it quite efficiently in the years since I'm not sure exactly what it was, maybe just not realizing the lizards gave you extra grip yet.

Any way, one of the points at which I lost my grip was at one of the highest points of the bird's arc, as it was twisting and looping back towards the water. I fell basically from wing to wing as it was rolling, it clipped me with the other wing and sort of flipped me back towards itself, and I caught a grip of the backside of the wing with just enough grip to climb back on and stand up as it leveled out. I was so exhilirated and stoked that I took off towards where I thought the next weak point was and jumped at it trying to be super dramatic, only for the bird to change course again and me to go crashing into the lake.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cloudymusic

Those colossus names still aren't canon, right? Those are just fan-created?

Anyway, I like them all for the most part, but if I was pressed to pick, I'd probably choose "Argus," the turtle, and the bird. Sort of surprised to see Phalanx so high up; there's not much to the fight, really, and it never fights back, but I guess that's why it's notable and memorable to a lot of players, isn't it? :)

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those colossus names still aren't canon, right? Those are just fan-created?

Anyway, I like them all for the most part, but if I was pressed to pick, I'd probably choose "Argus," the turtle, and the bird. Sort of surprised to see Phalanx so high up; there's not much to the fight, really, and it never fights back, but I guess that's why it's notable and memorable to a lot of players, isn't it? :)

I actually had no idea these were fan made, I just saw them on the SOTC wiki.

I think Phalanx is a favorite because of its size and the fact that you kill it high in the sky. It's like the bird but bigger

SunSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked Hydrus. That fight where you're constantly waiting for him to emerge from the lake still sticks in my mind as one of the most terrifying and intense boss fights ever. The 2 flying Colossi are close seconds, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.