Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadowrun Returns

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

Shadowrun Returns is a turn-based RPG created by Harebrained Schemes.

Bought this for 5$. Should I skip directly to the DLC?

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cbk486

I picked up this game in the humble store's current sale.

I heard the base game's plot is kind of boring while the DLC (Dragonfall) campaign's plot is incredible. Should I skip directly to the DLC, or is the base game still worth playing through?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

They're two separate entities but the difficulty curve of Dragonfall climbs much faster then Dead Man's Switch but is overall a better campaign. I enjoyed the base game and now that you can save anytime it'd be a much more enjoyable playthrough now.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By chiablo

I have a Shadowrun group that gets together every week. I haven't played the PC version yet, but my GM (with 2 decades of shadowrun experience) says that the core game [Dead Man's Switch] is sub-par, but Dragonfall is one of the better video game stories he's ever seen. He compares it positively to Baldur's Gate 2 and won't shut up about how good it is.

So if you're only going to play one, play Dragonfall.

jman240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna agree with chiablo here, I think Dragonfall is more interesting from a story standpoint, and if you're experienced with strategy games at all you'll be fine with the pace at which the difficulty climbs. I got wiped a couple times, but it was worth it for what I found to be a vastly superior storyline.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think the base game Shadowrun-Returns wasn't the best, but it was far from "should I skip." It won't harm you to start a new game, and possibly make your decision based on your opinion, and not that of others, would it?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I have you all here, as a Shadowrun newcomer, and given that you guys know what party members you end up having access to and what scenarios the game throws at you, any suggestion on a class to choose when I start the game?

I've heard stories about Dead Man's Switch having a class or two that is rarely useful, and the couple times you need that class' abilities, you can just bring along a party member to fill that role and that's preferable to wasting your main character on that class.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero:

I am playing an elf street samurai and things seem to be going well (combat-wise) so far.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbk486 said:

@bisonhero:

I am playing an elf street samurai and things seem to be going well (combat-wise) so far.

Its what I played and had very few issues througout the campaign.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: @cbk486: Alright, thanks guys, maybe I'll go with that. I think it was the Decker class that I heard some people say there was barely any opportunities to use, so choosing that for your main character is kind of a frustrating experience, when you could just bring along a decker on the handful of mission objectives where you actually need their skills?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By audioBusting

@bisonhero: I'm playing through Dead Man's Switch as a Decker and it's not too bad. It's easy to branch out a little bit into having Rigger skills too. I think some of the etiquettes are useless though. Having a Street etiquette hasn't given me much unique options so far.

armedpatriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering this as well, I just picked up both on the Steam Sale. I am digging the art style and tone but was still unsure whether or not to start with the original game or jump right into the dlc.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The base game is very disappointing - it's railroaded, thin on what I expect from this sort of game, and clearly designed for few of the classes. Still haven't gotten to Dragonfall but I have little faith in it, despite what others say/said about it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really liked the Dead Man's Switch story and writing, but everything I've heard about Dragonfall is that it's generally just the better game.

I still think it's worth playing through. Start it up and see if the story is intriguing enough for you.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dragonfall is just waaay better in every conceivable way. Really it's what the main campaign should have been from the start imo. You get a proper party with their own stories and personalities, a more solid and interesting story, expanded combat and dialogue options, proper choices, more freedom in what order to tackle things, a bigger hub that you also do some stuff in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

While Dragonfall is a ton better I certainly wouldn't skip the main game. It's still pretty good

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.