Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

begginers question on persona 4

nima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nima

So I just bought Persona 4 and I completed Persona 3 a month ago. There are 2 things that are confusing the hell out of me and I hope I can get some help

1) In persona 3, in the field (where the shadows are) I could get something called "players advantage" by sneaking up behind enemies and attacking them. This would ensure that I would get to attack them for one round without danger. It was very easy and not hard to execute at all. In persona 4, I just dont understand how to get this players advantage thing. I sneak up behind them but it seems that all the enemies have learnt their lessons from the last game and have grown eyes behind their heads because I can't seem to sneak on them at all. I just want to get the "players advantage" thing but I cant launch a surprise attack. Do I sneak up on them? if so, how? Do I have to attack them in a different way now? I hope somebody can help me out on this.

2) When I "knocked down" an enemy in persona 3, this would assure me that the enemy cannot attack in that round because he has to waste hes go by standing up. It seems that persona 4 does not have this anymore. When I knock down an enemy, the enemy can get up and attack at the same time. Am I right here? I don't know if im a fan of this particular change if I am right on this.

thanks in advance for your answers.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

1. I don't know. I haven't found much of a difference, although I guess it is a little harder.

2. Yes. You're right. If you want them to stay down then use the attack their weak against again and they'll probably get dizzy. It's actually a good change: it got really annoying to get attacked by your weakness in P3.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

1) I personally found it a bit more difficult to sneak up on enemies as well. I never found a foolproof plan for obtaining a "Player Advantage", but just try your best to sprint your ass behind them and hope that you get lucky (wow, that sounds so horrible out of context).

2) Yes, when an enemy stand back up after being "Knocked Down" it is possible for them (and likely) to attack. I don't personally have a problem with this part of the system, but I can see how it would bug some players.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
    nima said:
    "2) When I "knocked down" an enemy in persona 3, this would assure me that the enemy cannot attack in that round because he has to waste hes go by standing up. It seems that persona 4 does not have this anymore. When I knock down an enemy, the enemy can get up and attack at the same time. Am I right here? I don't know if im a fan of this particular change if I am right on this."
    In Persona 3, you could exploit this to keep the enemy down for the whole fight so it never gets an attack. It was changed in Persona 4 so that you can't exploit that.
    With that said, if you attack an enemy that's knocked down, it might become dizzy and miss a turn.

It's also worth noting that in Persona 3, a hit-all attack would have to knock down all enemies in order to get a One More. In Persona 4 it only needs to knock down one. You can use that to your advantage; the enemies certainly will.
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I haven't played part 3 but in part 4 if you strike an enemy while it has the "!" above it's head you get the advantage. I've actually done this from the front and still got the advantage.
    If you knock down an enemy in part 4 he will get back up and attack unless you hit it's weak spot again (or manage to get a critical hit) and make it dizzy. If it's dizzy it doesn't get an action.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By endaround

1) To me it seems that relative levels play a large part in P4.  I found it hard to get advanateg against shadows with higher levels than my party by easily got it against lower level shadows.  I think if you hit a shdow from behind you get a chnace at an advantage and this chance depends on level (and can be affected by accesories and the arcana chance)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.