Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

I'm super excited I just got my copy of Persona 4!

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EightBitShik

After watching the Endurance Run all the way through (While I played games) I searched for a copy of Persona 4 but I have a tiny budget that I can spend on the game so I didn't think I'd be able to get a copy. Well here it is $8.00 and for $3.00 for shipping I got a factory sealed copy of Persona 4 :) :). I didn't think it would come because I won the auction back on Jan 4th and finally just got it. The guy kept telling me that he was sorry it was taking so long but he sent it in the mail. However, I guess the dude doesn't know it shows when it was sent on the site. The 19th -_-.

I am personally excited about this one since you can control your whole party and that was the problem I was having in Persona 3 I felt like I wouldn't of died so much if I could control the whole team. I didn't finish P3 yet.....but I think I want to pop this in and play it straight away.

Is anyone else excited about the fighting game? I hope it comes out here.

No Caption Provided
    Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Chuggsy

Sweet, have fun!!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Cool beans.

Duder! I have that exact same Coca-Cola cup! Somewhere, anyway.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

I love the fighting system in Persona 3, mostly out of self hate.

Accurate
    Accurate
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Vexxan

@ReyGitano said:

I love the fighting system in Persona 3, mostly out of self hate.

Accurate
    Accurate

Marin Karin sometimes made me wish the MC was holding a real gun instead of an Evoker.

Fuck that spell. Fuck it!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By imsh_pl

Enjoy the game. Still my all time favourite. 
    Just don't spend too much time on activities which strengthen your attributes and focus on social links instead. They're worth it just for the awesome stories, not to mention the gameplay benefits.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

@Vexxan: I haven't played the PSP version yet, but I would consider going back and playing Persona 3 if they made it so that she never cast that spell again.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EightBitShik

@ReyGitano: No fucking joke.... that comic sums it up haha.

@imsh_pl: Yeah I can't wait, when I watched the ER I pretty much listened to it like a podcast so that when I did play the game at least I could read the dialogue and not have too much spoiled though I know the ending I guess but you can kind of change a few things by who you pick as your girl right?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @ReyGitano

@Vexxan: I haven't played the PSP version yet, but I would consider going back and playing Persona 3 if they made it so that she never cast that spell again.

You have full party control in P3P. Mitsuru can go the whole game with casting that accursed spell.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

I beat persona 4 twice, and then I sold it back to amazon for 20 dollars

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Zephyria

@EightBitShik said:

@imsh_pl: Yeah I can't wait, when I watched the ER I pretty much listened to it like a podcast so that when I did play the game at least I could read the dialogue and not have too much spoiled though I know the ending I guess but you can kind of change a few things by who you pick as your girl right?

I was wondering about that. The primary drive to play Persona 4 is the story, which you already would know quite a lot of by watching the Endurance Run. Hopefully you still get a lot of enjoyment out of the game! It's one of my all-time favorites as well.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Aus_azn

Hella fun game. While the endurance run inspired me to pick it up, I actually had never watched a single episode of the endurance run when I hopped in. Great stuff.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InsidiousTuna

Nice. I finally picked it up this past December, having watched the Endurance Run twice over the years. It's an amazing game. My factory-sealed copy was 30 bucks, though... You got lucky on eBay. Currently searching for a copy of Persona 3 FES.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By dagas

It's surpringly easy to find Persona games still. Here in Sweden you can still buy it from certain online retailers and a local electronics store has P4 for €13 and P3FES for €14 both new. But then PS2 games are easy to find new over here. I bought Valkyrie Profile 2 for €10 in the bargain bin at a supermarket. Only early RPG's are hard to find like Shadow Hearts and such. Also Gamestop had a sale of all PS2 games after Christmas, any game was €4, but most of the good games were already gone when I looked. If you are on a budget, but want to play quality games and don't need the latest graphics then PS2 is one hell of a console. There are so many great games for it. I see my local store has 2 copies of Okami still for example, €13 for a classic like that. You don't even need to look on ebay, at least not over here, most PS2 games from 2004 or later can be found still in stores since they don't sell. It's like everyone stopped buying PS2 games as soon as the 360 came out.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By Hector

Enjoy!

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EightBitShik

@InsidiousTuna: Yeah, I got PE3 on clearance at Fry's back in the day for $5.00 I don't think they knew the gem they had and if I was a dick I should of bought more that day haha.

@dagas: oh speaking of Okami my roommate really wanted to play that and I told him "Dark Cloud, Okami, Shadows of darkness? are on ebay right now for 4.00" "Nah, it will get super high" so I just watched it boom it sold for $4.00" I wish I would of bid on that.

@Zephyria: I have seen the first episode of the ER 3 times at least because I wasn't sure if I had watched it all the way through...silly OCD of me but yeah... I played my first hour last night and it all was new to me since I just listened to it so this is a good sign. That and I have a terrible memory if I sat and watched that episode give it a few days and I couldn't recall much from it anyway haha.

OH FUCK IT'S HAILING IN TEXAS RIGHT NOW WTF !!!!!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cloudenvy

About time.

Though Persona 3 is better than Persona 4, just saying!

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zephyria

@Cloudenvy said:

About time.

In what way? I liked 4 over 3 in many ways. Mostly the overall atmosphere and setting, I think. Then again I did play 4 first, and it seems like there's a pattern with peoples' preference depending on which they played first. (Says the one with a Mitsuru avatar. Oh the irony!) 3 overall had more interesting characters though, in my opinion.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@EightBitShik said:

Is anyone else excited about the fighting game? I hope it comes out here.

Hell yeah! I'm so excited I'm considering importing a copy for my PS3 when it comes out in Japan.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hockeymask27

Have fun!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

I just filed my taxes! I'm getting $2500 back... buying a Vita & Golden may not be quite as financially irresponsible now...

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By dtat

@Zephyria said:

@Cloudenvy said:

About time.

In what way? I liked 4 over 3 in many ways. Mostly the overall atmosphere and setting, I think. Then again I did play 4 first, and it seems like there's a pattern with peoples' preference depending on which they played first. (Says the one with a Mitsuru avatar. Oh the irony!) 3 overall had more interesting characters though, in my opinion.

Yeah I agree with you about the atmosphere. P4 was lighter and more fun, and that just happens to appeal to me more. I would also say that the battle system was improved over 3. No direct control really kind of sucks in P3.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Zephyria said:

@Cloudenvy said:

About time.

I will say that 4 has better characters in terms of the main cast and gameplay, but I just enjoyed the story, atmosphere and some of the S.Link's from Persona 3 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Persona 4's (Let's ignore The Answer).

I played 4 first, funnily enough. : )

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By natetodamax

I still need to finish Persona 3 and Persona 4. Hope you like it! It's super great.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EightBitShik

@JeanLuc: How does that work now a days? Can you play imports on your PS3? or do they still require weird shit?

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zephyria

@Cloudenvy said:

I will say that 4 has better characters in terms of the main cast and gameplay, but I just enjoyed the story, atmosphere and some of the S.Link's from Persona 3 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Persona 4's (Let's ignore The Answer).

"The Answer", what are you talking about? Also, on an unrelated note, wouldn't it be interesting if there was a fourth Indiana Jones movie...? XD

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Zephyria said:

@Cloudenvy said:

"The Answer", what are you talking about? Also, on an unrelated note, wouldn't it be interesting if there was a fourth Indiana Jones movie...? XD

Nah, they'd probably totally screw it up! what if they ever made sequels to The Matrix? I bet that'd be a trainwreck!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@EightBitShik said:

@JeanLuc: How does that work now a days? Can you play imports on your PS3? or do they still require weird shit?

The PS3 has no region lock, so should have no problems playing Japanese games on an English system.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EightBitShik

That is amazing I didn't know that i'll import it for sure then if it doesn't come out here.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EightBitShik

Holy hell I am already 9 hours in and I love this game. It started off slow but as soon as it let me do what I wanted to I can't stop!

I am overwhelmed with the shit I can do O_o. Girls, job, fighitng ahhhh what do I do "Today"

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

I recently resumed playing that game. While I love P3, P4 is ultimately a little more creepy, intriguing. Gotta say the cast keeps me coming back 'til I actually finish it. Looking forward to the New Game+ :)

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zephyria

@EightBitShik: So how's your game going? If it's anything like my experience you should be pretty addicted right about now.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EightBitShik

@Zephyria: Yeah I'm very addicted to the game. I am on July 0/1 and level 38. I have maxed out one relationship so far (the drama girl). I love 3 but this is so much easier that I'm enjoying myself and not worried about dying haha. I don't know if I should be this high level but I love to grind the mobs in this game :)

Where are you in the game?

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StrikeALight

Damn, the drama girl? You must like a challenge!

Clouise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Clouise

I never had a problem with my party in P3, they pretty much usually did what I would have wanted them to do. It was great to have just one person on healing, and one just going all out, one on stats etc.

I watched the endurance run, then went out and bought P3 and P4. I decided to play 3 first, so when I played 4 it wasn't so fresh in my mind. I had fun with them both. I watched the Endurance Run alongside playing 4 and it was great. It made grinding in the dungeons a lot more fun.

At the moment I am trying to do a max social link on 3.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I played 4 first after watching the entirety of the ER. I still fucking love that game. But, there was just something about P3...that game is easily one of my favorite JRPG's of all time. I can't articulate it, all I can say is that I avoided the Mitsuru problem because I did not like using her in battle and my party behaved how they should have for about 99% of the game.  

People taking stuff like this as "P3 is awesome, therefore P4 sucks" need to chill. I'm comparing Einstein and Newton here, they're both geniuses (and a bit insane), why can't we enjoy them both? No need to be defensive here because 'lol, relativity was more important than cooling theories" 

Zephyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zephyria

@EightBitShik said:

@Zephyria: Yeah I'm very addicted to the game. I am on July 0/1 and level 38. I have maxed out one relationship so far (the drama girl). I love 3 but this is so much easier that I'm enjoying myself and not worried about dying haha. I don't know if I should be this high level but I love to grind the mobs in this game :)

Where are you in the game?

Oh, I finished Persona 4 a long time ago. Probably in 2009 sometime. I think I was in the 80's range of levels when I finished it on the good ending. Such a long game, but it was very rewarding.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By neurotic

You're maybe a touch overlevelled but all that means is that you'll have Black Frost sooner which is great thing. The main character being overlevelled is not so much of an issue since if you feel things are too easy you can use a lower-levelled Persona to compensate. I guess at July you don't have too many party options but do you use Kanji?

I need to fight the bonus boss and I'll have done everything I could possibly do in the game. I wanna replay 3 doing everything too but it's hard to go back after playing so much of this one and Portable. Everything's just more streamlined in terms of menus and getting around, it's just a smoother experience, fusing notwithstanding. I don't even mind not being able to control other party members too much since they did largely what I wanted to them to do (except Akihiko would never debuff for some reason and that was the only reason I brought him along). I got more attached to the P4 cast but P3 edges it on story I think perhaps just cos I've been conditioned to think that darker = better. They are two quite different games though.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Nux

Enjoy your game sir, its going to be fun.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EightBitShik

@Neurotic: Yeah, I really wish I toughed it out and finished 3 before I started on 4 because even though I like 3 I can't put 4 down. I use Kanji in my party. Yosuke is the only person on my bench right now. I haven't done much as far as personas... I think I should find an online guide I'm always worried I am creating absolute shit. I also wasted about 5 days so far trying to fish so I can finish a quest I guess I don't understand how you fish I thought you hit "x" the second your shit was touched but I am 0/5 :(

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EightBitShik

Since I have been kind of MIA lately I thought I would hop on and post where I am at in the game right now. Tonight I entered the "game" level and made it to the boss without grinding since I was level 46 at the time and I thought that would be good enough.

I don't think it was, I was low on funds so I wasn't able to buy all the new gear but I did buy some nice little toys. My first round with this mother fucker mid way through the fight he did a darkness spell that killed my main character with full health....what a bitch move. The second time I got him down to about 10% and he threw his shield back on and finished me off due to the whole party being "feared" and I wasn't able to heal up in time.

So I have spent he last hour and half leveling up... about 3 levels but I think I'll keep going since it's only 8/01 and I read that I have until 8/12 to finish him.

I finally figured out I was fishing wrong so now I don't have to worry about that but I am sad I have still only Maxed out one S.Link. I think I'm spread to thin. Does anyone know if on your second play through does your progress in your social links stay? or if you hit level 9 and start a new game you are back to 0? If that is the case I should focus on finishing some of these links.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TobbRobb

@EightBitShik: NG+ resets everything except your compendium, social stats "courage etc." and money. All levels and social links are gone, as if starting the game over.

I tried playing NG+ recently and it wasn't really fun, high level persona just made it too easy

As for the boss, 46 sounds way overleveled, I can't have been over 40. If it's the darkness and fear that screws you over, invest in persona and gear that is resistant to them. Black Frost "one of the 5 way fuses" is really useful during that fight, if you feel like spending th money+time.

Btw, are you still rolling with both Kanji and Chie? I think at that point in the game, they are the weakest characters because of their shitty magic and lack of cool physical skills. I wouldn't recommend switching for Yosuke if it takes too much grinding, but leveling them up to a new skill or two might help.

MackSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MackSterling

Focus on getting your party member's social links maxed asap. Most of them lose their weaknesses once their persona evolves.

Don't use Kanji and Chie in the same party. They're built to be physical attackers, despite what Kanji's move list would tell you.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EightBitShik

@TobbRobb: I was using Black frost when I died lol :(

@MackSterling: Ok, I'll switch them out my mains have been Me, Kanji, Chie and Yuki

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EightBitShik

I just finished Persona 4 it was amazing BUT WTF I did not get the true ending!!!! I talked to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is it because when it said "You have talked to everyone go home?" I picked yes?

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SilvarusLupus

You're supposed to say no. Then go to the food court.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#47  Edited By Hailinel

@EightBitShik said:

I just finished Persona 4 it was amazing BUT WTF I did not get the true ending!!!! I talked to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is it because when it said "You have talked to everyone go home?" I picked yes?

@SilvarusLupus said:

You're supposed to say no. Then go to the food court.

This is the correct answer. Do not follow the game's advice when asks you to go home.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By benspyda

I bought Persona 4 after watching the endurance run and have yet to put it in the machine. I did play through Persona 3 and loved it, but I was Persona'd out by that point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.