Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

New Persona being work on

• 66 results
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By mutha3

This talk about consoles really has me wondering which route Atlus will go with this Persona.

If its on the PS3 I really hope the other aspects of the game don't take a hit from the amount of budget that goes into making a servicable PS3 game in the first place.

On the other hand, Persona is their Mario/Final Fantasy/Metal Gear ETC. if any SMT game will have a budget, its gonna be Persona.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By shadows_kill
    YES i need another persona game! (preferably a ps3 version)

@Shirogane said:
    " The wording makes it sound like a completely new game, instead of redoing/porting an old one.  Although i wouldn't complain at a FES version of p4... "
    i think its a new game cause there has been a rumored smt game on ps3 for a long time and atlus said there wont be a FES version of persona 4
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By Trilogy

As long as it's on the ps2, I'm in.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mutha3
    @Trilogy said:
    " As long as it's on the ps2, I'm in. "
    Not happening.
    honey_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By honey_power
    @mutha3 said:
    " @Trilogy said:
    Not happening. "
    Explain. Include sources, please.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By mutha3
    @honey_power said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @Trilogy said:

Not happening. "
    Explain. Include sources, please. "
    Um. The playstation 2 is dead.

Retailers don't/barely  leave store shelves for new  PS2 games anymore, only shovelware and budget titels can be found on 'em. 

Meanwhile P5 hasn't even been given a solid announcement, so we can expect it ,at its earliest, in early 2011. When the PS2 will be even more dead. Like I said, not happening.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Trilogy
    @mutha3 said:
    " @honey_power said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @Trilogy said:

Not happening. "
    Um. The playstation 2 is dead.   Retailers don't/barely  leave store shelves for new  PS2 games anymore, only shovelware and budget titels can be found on 'em.   Meanwhile P5 hasn't even been given a solid announcement, so we can expect it ,at its earliest, in early 2011. When the PS2 will be even more dead. Like I said, not happening. "
    You're speculation doesn't hold anymore water than anyone else. Maybe you're right, and maybe you're wrong. Period.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mutha3
    @Trilogy said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @honey_power said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @Trilogy said:

Not happening. "
    Um. The playstation 2 is dead.   Retailers don't/barely  leave store shelves for new  PS2 games anymore, only shovelware and budget titels can be found on 'em.   Meanwhile P5 hasn't even been given a solid announcement, so we can expect it ,at its earliest, in early 2011. When the PS2 will be even more dead. Like I said, not happening. "
    You're speculation doesn't hold anymore water than anyone else. Maybe you're right, and maybe you're wrong. Period. "
    Uh,no. 

The PS2 is dead and that's a fact.

Persona is a series that pushes 200K+ copies every entry.

Its common sense that it won't be on the PS2, try PSP, that's a possibility.

EDIT: I mean ps2 exclusive, of course.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Trilogy
    @mutha3 said:

" @Trilogy said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @honey_power said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @Trilogy said:

Not happening. "
    You're speculation doesn't hold anymore water than anyone else. Maybe you're right, and maybe you're wrong. Period. "
    Uh,no.   The PS2 is dead and that's a fact.  Persona is a series that pushes 200K+ copies every entry.  Its common sense that it won't be on the PS2, try PSP, that's a possibility.  EDIT: I mean ps2 exclusive, of course. "
    Uh, no. If developers still make games for the ps2 then it isn't dead. 

Regardless. Your speculation is just that. Unless you work for atlus then your argument doesn't outweigh anyone elses and neither does mine. Nobody but atlus knows what system it's coming out on. Speculation is fine but speaking in absolutes isn't.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60  Edited By Cube

P5 probably won't be on PS2, unless it's a port if they make it for Wii. 

That's just...common sense.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mutha3
    @Trilogy said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @Trilogy said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @honey_power said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @Trilogy said:

Not happening. "
    Uh,no.   The PS2 is dead and that's a fact.  Persona is a series that pushes 200K+ copies every entry.  Its common sense that it won't be on the PS2, try PSP, that's a possibility.  EDIT: I mean ps2 exclusive, of course. "
    Uh, no. If developers still make games for the ps2 then it isn't dead.   R

I don't think you understand what a ''dead system'' means. 

It has nothing to do with developers still making games for a console, it has to do with retailers leaving store shelves space for games. WIth the PS2's current situation, there is very, very limited store shelves left for new PS2 games. Therefore, any game released on the PS2 now will push 5-10 K at best.

This could be seen in the EU sales for P4, it sold 6000 copies in Europe, because the PS2 was long dead there. It sold 130,000  in the US(where the ps2 was dying)  and 310,000 in Japan(where the PS2  was still  going strong)

Also ''developers are still making ps2 games'' really? What game that  has been released since Persona 4 isn't  a multi-platform, Shovelware or Licensed release?

Persona isn't a super niche budget release titel nor is it shovelware.  The only possiblity for a PS2 release is if they bring it on the Wii and make it multi-platform

egardless. Your speculation is just that. Unless you work for atlus then your argument doesn't outweigh anyone elses and neither does mine.

The ps2 being dead isn't speculation. Neither is Persona being a 100k+ series.

Atlus is a business. And Persona 5 on the PS2 is the opposite of profitable, wonder why there hasn't been  a PS2 exclusive game from a competent developer  in over a year?

Nobody but atlus knows what system it's coming out on.  " 

This is naturally, correct.

But it won't be a PS2-exclusive.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Trilogy
    @mutha3 said:

I don't think you understand what a ''dead system'' means. 

It has nothing to do with developers still making games for a console, it has to do with retailers leaving store shelves space for games. WIth the PS2's current situation, there is very, very limited store shelves left for new PS2 games. Therefore, any game released on the PS2 now will push 5-10 K at best. Persona isn't a super niche budget release titel nor is it shovelware. 

This could be seen in the EU sales for P4, it sold 6000 copies in Europe, because the PS2 was long dead there. It sold 130,000  in the US(where the ps2 was dying)  and 300,000 in Japan(where the PS2  was still  going strong)

Also ''developers are still making ps2 games'' really? What game that  has been released since Persona 4 isn't  a multi-platform, Shovelware or Licensed release?

Persona isn't a super niche budget release titel nor is it shovelware.  The only possiblity for a PS2 release is if they bring it on the Wii and make it multi-platform

The ps2 being dead isn't speculation. Neither is Persona being a 100k+ series.

Atlus is a business. And Persona 5 on the PS2 is the opposite of profitable, wonder why there hasn't been  a PS2 exclusive game from a competent developer  in over a year?

I never said anything about P5 being an exclusive. Perhaps I should of clarified. My point with defending the system from not being dead is that if EA thinks that there is enough of a market to make a ps2 version of Madden every year then there must be something there. Making ports to older systems costs money and these developers/publishers won't bother with it unless there is a profit to be made. You make fine points but all I'm saying is that it could be worth it to have a ps2 version of the game and they are clearly capable of making a quality product on the ps2. 

Also, according to NPD reports, the ps2 sold almost as many consoles as the psp. Last month's hardware sales had PSP at 119.9k and PS2 at 118.8k. That's not a very big difference. If it's worth making a persona game on the psp, it's worth making on the ps2. As you said, the only remaining factor is shelf space. In my opinion, if the psp and the ps2 have similar interest levels, why not make space for both. Maybe if retailers didn't have to stock up with enormous boxes of music games, there would be more room.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Let's hope it's P5 on PS3/360 and not one of the previous ones ported to newer consoles

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By mutha3
    @Trilogy said:

I never said anything about P5 being an exclusive. Perhaps I should of clarified.
    Hm? well then, we have nothing to discuss. I was just arguing against the notion of P5 being PS2 exclusive, that scenario simply won't happen.

My point with defending the system from not being dead is that if EA thinks that there is enough of a market to make a ps2 version of Madden every year then there must be something there. Making ports to older systems costs money and these developers/publishers won't bother with it unless there is a profit to be made. You make fine points but all I'm saying is that it could be worth it to have a ps2 version of the game and they are clearly capable of making a quality product on the ps2.

These are multi-platforms though. Making a port costs very little resources, the PS2 versions they make are often just a quick buck instead of actual efforts at making a quality game.

And, hey, I agree. A PS2 port of P5 is certainly not impossible, though unlikely seeing when its going to come out(2010-2012).

Also, according to NPD reports, the ps2 sold almost as many consoles as the psp. Last month's hardware sales had PSP at 119.9k and PS2 at 118.8k. That's not a very big difference. If it's worth making a persona game on the psp, it's worth making on the ps2. As you said, the only remaining factor is shelf space. In my opinion, if the psp and the ps2 have similar interest levels, why not make space for both. Maybe if retailers didn't have to stock up with enormous boxes of music games, there would be more room. "

The problem is that Atlus doesn't have a say in that.  Retailers do, and seeing how game development in general has moved towards current-gen it would be foolish of them to start making shelve-space for PS2 games.

I mean if you look at NPD data, you might as well say that the  PS2 has the largest user base in the world. But that doesn't dictate profits, the real deciding factor is shelve place. And , sadly, the PS2 simply doesn't have it anymore.

Oh, well. It'll always be my favorite console.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By Hailinel

It really doesn't make sense for P5 to be on the PS2, either as an exclusive or as a multi-platform port.  At this point, PS2 ports are really nothing more than severely watered down versions of games that are otherwise better on other platforms.  Walk into a Gamestop or Best Buy these days, and you'll find that the shelf space for new PS2 titles is incredibly limited, and even then the shelves are mostly filled with budget titles, games for young children, and Greatest Hits/Compilations of PS2 games that came out years ago, with the occasional PS2 port of a Wii game or EA Sports title thrown in for good measure.  A year or or two from now, when P5 is released, the stores probably won't even carry that.

PandaGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#66  Edited By PandaGuy

i really can't wait for this game. hopefully it comes out for the ps3. gives me more reason to finally buy one

kidko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By kidko

With the PS3 they could finally close the gap between the hand drawn art and the 3d models. We could get something like Valkyria Chronicles where they do the animation style over 3d models and animate all of the conversations that way. This is what I'd like to see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.