Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skate 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jan 21, 2009

Skate 2 adds additional trick modifiers, a wide-open career mode, and a host of new multiplayer content to the original Skate formula.

Skate 2 holds the secret to replayability.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By Chummy8

I freaking love Skate 2.  After I got 1000 gamerscore in the game, I got the DLC and 100%'d that too.  The question is: Why do I keep playing?  There are no more challenges for me to do online or career mode.  There really is nothing more for me to achieve in the game and yet I still play it daily.  It is fun just to skate around the city and find/create new spots to try to  get higher scores on them.  And when I get bored of doing this solo after a couple hours or so, I can go free skate online with some friends and do the same thing. 

The online community is really helpfull and can also be a blast to play with.  Even in ranked spot matches, where we take turns to trick on an object,  the competition is not only in beating the highest score; but to beat your own best score.  When I came in last place, the people online have been willing to help me out with tips and commented on how my trick was the smoothest (and sickest) even though I didn't kill the spot.

There is a joy to be found in the game that doesn't involve achievements or challenges.  It can be found in development of your skill over time.  When you work on a trick over and over again only to finally get it; there is a satisfaction that is better than any challenge in career mode and it makes you want to learn the next one.  The only thing I can equate this to is how the GiantBomb crew talked about Burnout Paradise.  The single player, the online, and the sense of achievement make Skate 2 a game that I simply can't get enough of.  If the developers continue to release DLC's for this game, then I don't think I'll ever stop playing this game any time soon.

So I felt the need to blog about it.  

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Chummy8

I freaking love Skate 2.  After I got 1000 gamerscore in the game, I got the DLC and 100%'d that too.  The question is: Why do I keep playing?  There are no more challenges for me to do online or career mode.  There really is nothing more for me to achieve in the game and yet I still play it daily.  It is fun just to skate around the city and find/create new spots to try to  get higher scores on them.  And when I get bored of doing this solo after a couple hours or so, I can go free skate online with some friends and do the same thing. 

The online community is really helpfull and can also be a blast to play with.  Even in ranked spot matches, where we take turns to trick on an object,  the competition is not only in beating the highest score; but to beat your own best score.  When I came in last place, the people online have been willing to help me out with tips and commented on how my trick was the smoothest (and sickest) even though I didn't kill the spot.

There is a joy to be found in the game that doesn't involve achievements or challenges.  It can be found in development of your skill over time.  When you work on a trick over and over again only to finally get it; there is a satisfaction that is better than any challenge in career mode and it makes you want to learn the next one.  The only thing I can equate this to is how the GiantBomb crew talked about Burnout Paradise.  The single player, the online, and the sense of achievement make Skate 2 a game that I simply can't get enough of.  If the developers continue to release DLC's for this game, then I don't think I'll ever stop playing this game any time soon.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Skate is a great game because it emulates real skating so closely. There is nothing like a good skating session and Skate lets you pretty much go crazy with what you can do.

The gameplay is simple to learn but hard to master.

I'm not so sure about the DLC though. It just seems like a waste of cash, since I own the first Skate.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By eric_buck

Just got it today. Pretty F'ing awesome!

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chummy8

Yeah, I never got the first Skate.  I was a little dissappointed in the DLC only because I was able to clear all the challenges for both DLC's within a couple hours.  But the money is in the free skate in those locations anyway.. So dammit, I'm going to get my money's worth.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By najaf

I agree. I put more hours into OG skate than any other game last year save for COD4. I see myself putting even more with skate 2. Its a great game for all varieties of play. Its great when you just want to relax, it is great for passing the controller, it has great competition, and it has a great hang out vibe when in free skate with friends. The depth is unbelievable and the play style is so versatile. If you want to recreate scenes from a favorite skate video, you can do that. If you want to go all 'tony hawk' with huge air and big spins, you can do that as well. This is by far my favorite game to just 'play' in a long time. Oh, and kudos for 1250/1250. I’m with you there.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    TekZero said:
    "

"
    Hey can you tell me some way to beat the final race event? You seem like you play a lot and I have tried a billion times but i keep crashing and its pissing me off. lol. Any tips?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Awesome. I used to feel the same way about Tony Hawk games. I've racked in more hours with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 than almost any other game I've ever played. I still need to get my hands on Skate 2. While I enjoyed the first one, I did have some issues with it and am hoping I find the sequel to be less frustrating.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "Awesome. I used to feel the same way about Tony Hawk games. I've racked in more hours with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 than almost any other game I've ever played. I still need to get my hands on Skate 2. While I enjoyed the first one, I did have some issues with it and am hoping I find the sequel to be less frustrating."
    I don't know about less frustrating, but it's still fun.
    sneakpreview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sneakpreview

I 100% agree that that the Skate franchise does have one of the best online communitites.
    In the first skate I can remeber me not doing to good but with the help and advice from other players, I am now pretty good.
    Sure the DLC was alot for some of the same places from the first game.
    But the DLC was worth based on the fact that now you can walk around in those environments.
    If they keep on making games as good as these ones I will stay with this franchise for life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.