Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skullgirls

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Apr 10, 2012

Take control of fierce female warriors in a 1940s dark Deco world in this stylish indie fighting game developed by (and for) hardcore fighting game enthusiasts.

You should play this game before you judge it. It's fantastic.

• 78 results
    ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By ComradeKhan
    ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ComradeKhan
    @Animasta said: 

I just don't see why hoping for a game to have semi realistic proportions is somehow a bad thing.

So when you see cartoons do you flip out because the characters - or should I say "caricatures" - are too exaggerated? Do you think Bugs Bunny is stupid just because he isn't drawn to the same proportions as a real rabbit?... No, because Looney Toons isn't trying to be realistic and Skullgirls isn't either. 
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Vade

Wish it was more GG than Marvel and 4-5 buttons instead of 6 but whatever. Guess it's ok.

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Tharrington

@StarvingGamer said:

Skullgirls is the most intelligently designed fighting game I have ever played and dramatically lowers the barrier to entry without sacrificing mechanical depth. It's a shame about the move-list but I hope this game does well enough for Mike Z and co. to keep supporting and iterating on it.

I couldn't agree more, the tutorial section specifically has helped me a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's a six button game, too? Aw man.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By BionicMonster

Am I the only one who doesn't get a boner from cartoons? Before you people ostracize this games art, ask your self what you're actually getting mad about. Some of this might be secondary waves of the reaction to the recent Aris Bahktanian story.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By indiefinch

@scarace360 said:

This is one of the sticks http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/6903951066/

Aw man I would love to pick up one of those! Hopefully they sell some sooner or later...if not maybe I will have to go to a local event and pay off Ricky Ortiz or someone to win me one...

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By scarace360

@IndieFinch said:

@scarace360 said:

This is one of the sticks http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/6903951066/

Aw man I would love to pick up one of those! Hopefully they sell some sooner or later...if not maybe I will have to go to a local event and pay off Ricky Ortiz or someone to win me one...

I wanna win one so ive decided to stop everything to just practice to try to win one.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By mesoian

@ThePhantomnaut said:

I hope it doesn't turn to Sex Farter XXX Rolento's Boner Jab Wins Every Boring Footsie Game.

Don't worry. It's not SFxT

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Doctorchimp

1200 points is pretty steep with Fez coming out soon at 800

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By scarace360

@Doctorchimp said:

Try the demo and see if you like it.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Doctorchimp

@scarace360 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I did like it...

But hey guess what 1200 points is fucking steep with Fez coming out tomorrow at 800. And I'm really getting into King of Fighters right now.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Doctorchimp said:

@scarace360 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I did like it...

But hey guess what 1200 points is fucking steep with Fez coming out tomorrow at 800. And I'm really getting into King of Fighters right now.

Oh crap, you're right. My money is going to Fez.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MikkaQ

@LandGrinch said:

So it's a fighting game without a movelist? Sounds accessible. In all seriousness, I'm really tired of fighting games still using the Street Fighter-esque stick rolls to trigger moves. I get that Capcom and Namco are still stuck in the arcade business and not likely to change their classic control schemes, but playing stuff like MK and Smash Bros (yeah, I know) or even God of War where my character has a large movelist that I can pull off 100% of the time without needing a big dumb stick in my living room really makes me notice the clumsy and controller-unfriendly schemes that every fighting game seems to use.

Back to the topic at hand: this game really seems aimed at people who are already in deep with fighting games. Not particularly friendly or innovative (in terms of how accessible it is; I won't comment on the other systems)

But stick rolls are a lot easier to execute and memorize than complex directional combos. I'd actually be able to do fatalities consistently if they started with a QCF movement or something.

Also you'll never see the stick separate from fighting games, that's like playing a sim racing game without a wheel. Doable, just not ideal.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By scarace360

@Cloudenvy said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@scarace360 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I did like it...

Oh crap, you're right. My money is going to Fez.

Play what you want maybe get it later.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By Phished0ne

Are people really saying this game isnt accessible? AND we're still having the argument about character designs? I should just walk away from this thread. The only non-accessible thing about this game is the move-list which kinda sucks but i can look that stuff up online. Shoryuken had a guide up days if not close to a week before the game came out so..no biggie.

The tutorials are great, really good for beginners, what fighting game tutorial has ever told you "hey you should probably always block low, and only block high when you see someone jump at you", or basic poking hit-confirms. Normally you would have to go online to learn tidbits like that. I just wish for their sake they let you go through the whole tutorial in the demo.

This game is great, a really good fighter, at an amazing price. The roster is small, but they wanted a good varied set of characters, and i appreciated that. Plus they are already working on DLC characters and I trust that Mike Z wont let the publisher screw the community on price. It is a good, innovative effort from an indie developer its just a shame that is has to come in a time where a lot of people are getting out of fighter because of the potential flooding of the market.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I fucking love this game, it's just so much fun to look at.

I've never had this much fun just messing around with characters in a fighting game. They all feel so different and all the animation is fucking fantastic. There's all these little quirks to each attack that you'd never notice during an actual fight.

Can't wait to dive into this thing, the systems at play are really incredible and the characters are fun as shit to play.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By HadesTimes

I've watched it played at numerous events and I had no idea how technical it was. I love it's pretty different from most of the games out there. It has its own special flavor. Alot of people say its Marvel 2 mixed with Guilty Gear.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By musclerider

I just really don't like the character designs.

I'm not going to say that they should be realistic or have more clothes on. I just think most of the characters I've see look dumb. I don't know why.

Blob monster made up of bugs? Fine.

Demon with a giant sword and a mouth in his chest? Fine.

Giant fat guy with a ball and chain? Hell yeah.

Busty girl with Hulk arms coming out of her head? Dumbest goddamn thing I've ever seen.

Probably a fine game but holy hell I just can't stand looking at any of the characters. But that's just like my opinion, man.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By Jaktajj

@LordXavierBritish said:

I fucking love this game, it's just so much fun to look at. I've never had this much fun just messing around with characters in a fighting game. They all feel so different and all the animation is fucking fantastic.

Yeah, couldn't agree more. There's just so much heart to each of the characters. Just the little things like Cerebella's giant arms beckoning the opponent when she walks backwards. Stuff like that. It really is the little things that separate a good game from a fucking amazing game.

Overbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By Overbite

This game is the best fighting game in years, way better than whatever Capcom or Namco brought out. It's just basic ass fighting game without any bullshit comeback mechanics or gimmicks like gems or x factor to make it suck.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mcfart

The character designs are aweful. I play VNS and these are still too much for me

Also I don't like fighting games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

This is a fighting game that my brother might actually be into. I mean, without my taunting motivation.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SlightConfuse

i love the art style and animations, there are a lot f them

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#75  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

My personal tastes find the focus on bouncing boobies and sexualized characters a bit off putting, but the artist in my finds all the art and animation to be awesome. Very conflicting. I'll download the trial and give it a go.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jewunit

I picked up this game today after re-watching the Power-Up finals on SRK. I cleared Arcade mode once on Normal, ran through the tutorial, and played a few online matches. The look of the characters, which I wasn't thrilled about, has taken a back seat to the gameplay. I like how easy it is to link normal moves together. It is a little harder to accomplish than in MVC2, but the resulting combos feel more rewarding. However, now that I am actually playing, I definitely miss the in-game move list. I will have to print out a copy of the move lists on the Skullgirls site until I am more comfortable with the game. This game has made a good first impression on me. I am looking forward to starting the story mode this weekend.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Skullgirls is such an amateurish production. Doesn't it use OpenBOR? They didn't even have to code the fighting engine and yet they still couldn't get things like lag and matching properly tested and add a movelist in. Stylistically I hate it too and I love games like Waku Waku 7. How does this shite even get made? There are better OpenBOR games coming from the community free of charge.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By bybeach

I am admitttedly ignorant so I am amazed some expect hardware(the controller) along with the software. But wisely it is made for an initial generic 6 button design..okay.

From what I see, this game shines in some ways. I suspect they (the devs) see forward momentum from this, in artwork and gameplay.

I'm not judging. It does seem very well done in some ways, and setting not the least. Perhaps pandering in another. Nice butt shots when a lady is down, I doooo notice.. But Filia is really only 15, damn. IDK, is this how it goes for fighting games? I'll go ask my got-to moral compass on these matters, of the lady from the flesh-pits herself , Mileena.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.