Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 13, 2011

Spyro and friends are toys come to life in this new 3D platformer from Toys for Bob and Activision.

Help me out with witch Skylander toys I should get my kids.

bigdc666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigdc666

I’m planning on getting this game for my kids for Christmas. I have two 8 year old girls; their favorite things are Littlest Pet shop, My Little Pony, Bratz, and Barbie. I also have a 10 year old son; his favorite things are WWE, Halo Reach, and Star Wars.

I’m looking for any advice on how many Skylander toys I should get each of them and based on what else they enjoy maybe witch character packs to buy. Any advice would be helpful. I’m just not familiar enough with the toys or the game.

Zanzibar106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Zanzibar106

You'll probably want one character of each element in order to unlock all of the areas of each level. I'm guessing you're going to get it for the console version which comes with Gill Grunt (Water), Spyro (Magic), and Trigger Happy (Tech), but if you're getting the 3ds you'll be geting Stealth Elf (Life), Ignitor (Fire), and Dark Spyro (Magic) - who is a Spyro recolor with a slightly different set of stats.

So you'll probably be buying 5 extra characters over the starter pack, or make it 6 if you want 2 for each kid. That should be MORE than enough to start with - that will make 9 characters.

Here's the full list of characters. The ones in Bold are available now, but the others will likely be available before Christmas if sales keep up:

Earth Characters: Terrafin, Prism Break, Bash, Dino-rang

Fire Characters: Ignitor, Eruptor, Flame Slinger, Sunburn

Air Characters: Sonic Boom, Whirlwind, Lighten Rod,Warnado

Water Characters: Gill Grunt, Zap, Slam Bam, Wham Shell

Magic Characters: Spyro, Voodood, Double Trouble, Wrecking Ball

Tech Characters: Trigger Happy, Boomer, Drobot, Drill Sergeant

Life Characters: Stealth Elf, Stump Smash, Zook Camo

Undead Characters: Chop Chop, Ghost Roaster, Hex, Cynder

My girls tended to gravitate towards Stealth Elf and Whirlwind, which took care of Life and Air. Sonic Boom is another fun Air character that the girls might like.

I bought Prism Break (Earth) and he's a TON of fun, but for Earth I also like Bash, he's a brawler character. The BEST earth character is probably Terrafin but he's only currently available in the Pirate Seas expansion pack - which I highly recommend but that may be more money than you want to spend at $20. Comes with an extra level and some fun powerup items.

I like fast characters, so Flameslinger was my guy of choice for Fire, but Eruptor is another good choice if your son wants to be more up-close. Ignitor is only available in the 3DS version currently.

That leaves Undead. Ghost Roaster is only available in the Haunted expansion back, and I'm not a huge fan of him. Chop Chop is another good one.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

@bigdc666 said:

I’m planning on getting this game for my kids for Christmas. I have two 8 year old girls; their favorite things are Littlest Pet shop, My Little Pony, Bratz, and Barbie. I also have a 10 year old son; his favorite things are WWE, Halo Reach, and Star Wars.

I’m looking for any advice on how many Skylander toys I should get each of them and based on what else they enjoy maybe witch character packs to buy. Any advice would be helpful. I’m just not familiar enough with the toys or the game.

Your son seems like he'll turn out all right but you may want to try getting your daughters to play Gears or something. Barbie isn't going to teach them the skills they'll need to excel in tomorrow's job market ;)

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

I always wondered what it's was like for Jeff to buy toys at a Walmart on a Friday night....probably awkward as hell....but then again I still give a shit. Must be nice for him :)

bigdc666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By bigdc666

@Vinny_Says: yea Walmart. You know what they say: It's the only place where you can get beer, a blanket and a WWE action figure at 1am.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

Yes... your "kids"  

Mmhmm...

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

I have it on good authority that Drobot is da illest, son.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.