Sport Lisboa e Benfica, more commonly known as SL Benfica or simply Benfica, is a multi-sports club based in Lisbon, Portugal
, but is mainly known for its football / soccer team.
The club was founded on the February 28th, 1904.
The emblem is made out of a golden eagle, a shield painted in the club colours of red and white, and the acronym SLB for "Sport Lisboa e Benfica" over a football; and all of this is superimposed on top of a bicycle wheel, which was one of the sports the Benfica club also had. The club motto is "E Pluribus Unum"
, which is Latin for "Out of many, One".
Before every home match, an actual real royal eagle named "Vitória" (Victory) flies around the Estádio da Luz (Stadium of Light, in English) several times before landing on top of Benfica's club shield, creating a real life version of the club's emblem.
- 32 Championships
- 24 Portuguese Cups
- 4 League Cups
- 4 Super Cups
Worthy of Register
- 7 UEFA Champions League final presences
- 1 UEFA Cup (currently known as UEFA Europa League) final presence
- 2 Intercontinental Cup final presences
- On November 9th 2006, Benfica was acknowledged by the Guiness World Records as being the club with the largest number of paying club members in the whole world.
- The Portuguese international player Eusébio is the most well known Benfica player ever, both within Portugal as abroad, and is still an idol for Benfica and Portuguese fans alike.