Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic and the Black Knight

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 10, 2009

The titular hedgehog traverses through another ancient tale, this time in a sword-clashing adventure set in the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

Debut Trailer from TGS!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kush

I don't know what to make of this trailer...good? bad? It looks odd and all I can really say is that the lyrics to this song are awful! Sit back, relax...and watch as Sonic firmly holds his sword and moves very fast...

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By joshs

Oh yay. Instead of guns, it swords this time. Sounds absolutely enthralling. They just love digging their hole deeper with every new Sonic game.
    Notice it seems to focus a lot on the speed of Sonic, and if you recall the old (good) Sonic games, that was a mere treat for doing well in the platforming sections. Oh, how I long for the days of a good Sonic game.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

Here's the thing. Why don't SEGA make a game like they are doing in Sonic Unleashed without the Warehog bits that are essentially just 2D games with awesome backgrounds, loads of visual affects, lots of replay value in time attack modes and hidden unlockables and stuff, with no story and a good 15 levels with 3 acts, various Eggman bosses and be done with it?

That's what everyone is crying out for. It wouldn't be original, it wouldn't be complicated but it would be harking back to exactly what makes Sonic so good.

That really is all they need to do. I know WHY they keep going for complicated but - I honestly thing a game that harks back to the true Sonic the Hedgehog would sell so well.

Is this the spiritual sequal to the Seven Golden Coins or whatever it was called then?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kush
    get2sammyb said:
    "Here's the thing. Why don't SEGA make a game like they are doing in Sonic Unleashed without the Warehog bits that are essentially just 2D games with awesome backgrounds, loads of visual affects, lots of replay value in time attack modes and hidden unlockables and stuff, with no story and a good 15 levels with 3 acts, various Eggman bosses and be done with it?

That's what everyone is crying out for. It wouldn't be original, it wouldn't be complicated but it would be harking back to exactly what makes Sonic so good.

That really is all they need to do. I know WHY they keep going for complicated but - I honestly thing a game that harks back to the true Sonic the Hedgehog would sell so well.

Is this the spiritual sequal to the Seven Golden Coins or whatever it was called then?"
    I couldn't have said it better myself...that is all I want and I think a lot of other gamers (at least the ones who remember Sonic on Genesis) want it too. I think the problem rests with the fact that Sonic still sells even though he hasn't been in many great games recently (I only consider the DS games to be those good recent games)...Why should they change the way they do things when everything is still selling...
    joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshs

I hope they see the success of Mega Man 9 and someday decide to make something like it. It does not have to be 2D - seeing as Sonic never was as demanding when it came to 'pixel perfect' maneuvers. They could use the classic Sonic gameplay and design some new levels to rival the classics, while at the same time slapping a fresh coat of paint on the visuals. Perhaps following in Bionic Commando: Rearmed's footsteps. Sure, some will say they are ripping Capcom off, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't sell to the true old-school fans the game once had.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By samfo

Kotaku's sarcastic headline when this was first announced summed up my thoughts.

"New Sonic game brings much needed swordplay to the series."

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Rowr

as i said in the other thread.

This game looks fucking awful.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb
    JoshS said:
    "I hope they see the success of Mega Man 9 and someday decide to make something like it. It does not have to be 2D - seeing as Sonic never was as demanding when it came to 'pixel perfect' maneuvers. They could use the classic Sonic gameplay and design some new levels to rival the classics, while at the same time slapping a fresh coat of paint on the visuals. Perhaps following in Bionic Commando: Rearmed's footsteps. Sure, some will say they are ripping Capcom off, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't sell to the true old-school fans the game once had."
    They wouldn't - here's the deal - they can do Sonic The Hedgehog in 2D and still make people want to replay it. The reason they keep trying to add in Warehog elements and swords and shit is because they fear that reviewers and players will get bored of the formula. But it doesn't have to be like that.

In an age where gamers save after every level etc an "old school" Sonic game remade for next-gen consoles would probably last about 3 hours to complete if people saved after every level. What SEGA need to do is find a way that makes people play each of the 10-15 levels over and over. And I think the way they do that is by giving players multiple routes, multiple ways to complete the level, incentive to complete those levels in different ways and just big grounds to explore, find unlockables, discover more about the story, without ever compromising the speed and excitement that Sonic on the Mega Drive had.

If they focus their time on making replay value and making really awesome levels that people really WILL want to replay - there is absolutely no reason the game can't be 10 hours or so long to complete everything and still have people wanting to replay levels because they are so well designed. I mean - look at the likes of Green Hill Zone - I've played it hundreds of times but I'll still always play it again. It will probably never get old.

I can imagine a classic-type Sonic game in my head so why can't SEGA? I mean a next-generation 2D Sonic could be absolutely unbelievable graphically; explosions all over the place, scenery falling apart, enemies flying into the screen, pseudo-3D playing fields so Sonic comes close to the camera and far away from the camera, grind rails, loops, etc. etc.

It could be so, so, so awesome.

Nintendo are still putting out 2D games and they have managed to get the balance right. Wario Land Shake is a very good game. You'll never get awards for pushing the boundaries of game design by recreating a formula that was popular in the 90's and has since moved on - but if Sonic was a character created since 1998 and his first game was Sonic Adventure NONE of us would give a shit about him.

It's BECAUSE of the 2D Sonic games that we all still vest an interest in him. That's because (as the GBA and DS games have proved) that's where Sonic works best. There is NO shame in that at all I don't think but SEGA seem to disagree.

No Shenmue 3, no Jet Set Radio, no proper Sonic game in years. It's almost like SEGA don't seem to want to listen to their fans at times. Here are this collection of games that people REALLY do want - that would sell like crazy and they're not making them. I appreciate Shenmue is a big budget game that SEGA probably can't afford but there are no excuses for JSR and decent Sonic games.

I love SEGA - if I'm a fanboy of anything it's SEGA. And it breaks my heart to be disappointed by them time after time after time. Ever since the death of the Dreamcast really.

Bayonetta is the only game I am interested in that has any connection to SEGA at the moment. They are publishing good stuff but they've ceased to develop good stuff.

Chu Chu Rocket on WiiWare, Live Arcade and PSN? They have so many franchises and so many good characters that all they need to do is THINK about what made them such good franchises in the first place.

I wish SEGA would employ me some times. I have SO many ideas.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kush
    Rowr said:
    "as i said in the other thread.

This game looks fucking awful."
    Doesn't awful mean GOTC (Game of the Century) is Australian?
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rowr
    Kush said:
    "Rowr said:
    "as i said in the other thread.

This game looks fucking awful."
    Doesn't awful mean GOTC (Game of the Century) is Australian?"
    correct.

unfortunately it will probably be banned due to the inclusion of a sword.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kush
    Rowr said:
    "correct.

unfortunately it will probably be banned due to the inclusion of a sword."
    And then be unbanned for its inclusion of beastiality! :P
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rowr
    Kush said:
    "Rowr said:
    "correct.

unfortunately it will probably be banned due to the inclusion of a sword."
    And then be unbanned for its inclusion of beastiality! :P"
    Nothing wrong with a little bit of Man on Marsupial action.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kush
    Rowr said:
    "Nothing wrong with a little bit of Man on Marsupial action."
    If only the game starred a kangaroo...it would become an instant national treasure!
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rowr
    Kush said:
    "Rowr said:
    "Nothing wrong with a little bit of Man on Marsupial action."
    If only the game starred a kangaroo...it would become an instant national treasure!"

It does hava an Echidna!

sweet,sweet echidna love.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kush
    Rowr said:
    "It does hava an Echidna!

"
    And he's red! Red is the color of love!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.