Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Generations

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

Old school and new school collide in this 20th Anniversary celebration of the Sonic franchise.

The PC version of Generations works flawlessly!

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By MURDERSMASH

Nice job to Sega, as well as Devil's Details who did the port, on this game. I'm having an absolute blast so far!

The game runs liquid smooth on my gaming system ( I7 @ 3.06Ghz, GeForce GTX 480, 6GB RAM, dual 120GB SSD's), and even after playing it for 4 1/2 hours, it's completely stable. I even alt-tabbed to adjust some settings, and it popped back up without issue. This blows my mind, because huge AAA titles from big-name PC developers like Id software can't even put out a PC port as good as this.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#2  Edited By psykhophear

Good to know. I suppose I should consider getting the PC version as well.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hero_swe

Ofcourse it does on a PC like that. -_-
    BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Only 30 bucks too, which is kind of crazy...

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MURDERSMASH

@Hero_Swe said:

Hehe, yeah. Funny thing is, RAGE had horrible texture popping issues and absolutely no graphical options on my computer when IT first came out. That's just silly...a SONIC game, on the friggin' PC which is like a niche market inside of a niche market, has AA, vSync, texture and shadow quality adjustment settings, and yet RAGE which is basically a massive dick-waving tech demo from ID, didn't have any of that.

Attention to detail, on a game for half the price. Seriously Sega, keep it up!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro

I'm getting the PC version, that way I can with a Sega Saturn USB pad, which should be awesome with this game.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like I should buy it to say "Thanks, Sega!"

I do have a bit of interest in it.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amomjc

Sweet, my Steam purchase is downloading as we speak and that was one of my qualms but now that you have cleared it up I couldn't be happier about the purchase!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By jacksukeru

Makes me wish that I had a halfway decent stationary computer, if what's running smooth is the framerate, that is.

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Alo81

How does it actually look? 1080p at 60 FPS?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vitor

@Alo81 said:

How does it actually look? 1080p at 60 FPS?

I was actually impressed by how sharp the console version looked on the quicklook GB put up. Wouldn't be surprised if this looked considerably better just by virtue of the sharper res.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By GS_Dan

@Vitor: My thoughts exactly. I'm super surprised that there actually looks to be a good modern Sonic game, and it's being released on the freakin' PC!

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jetsetwillie

good news. but i think its one il wait for this to be £3 in a steam sales sometime soon.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

Wow. Right on. The game got a little choppy on the Xbox, maybe I'll buy this game later.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By scarace360

Hold on sonic good pc no fucking way!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lunar_Aura

wow I never thought I'd consider buying a Sonic game ever again, on the PC no less. Thanks for the heads up performance impressions.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

yeah I'm doing pretty well too, I wouldn't say flawless (I had one crash), but it works pretty well aside from some slight slowdown if there's too many fluid effects; and it is really sharp on the computer.

and I have an AMD athlon phenom x4 or something, radeon HD5770, 8 gbs of ram, so it's a little worse than his, but I'm still doin fine

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@three02 said:

@Hero_Swe said:

Hehe, yeah. Funny thing is, RAGE had horrible texture popping issues and absolutely no graphical options on my computer when IT first came out. That's just silly...a SONIC game, on the friggin' PC which is like a niche market inside of a niche market, has AA, vSync, texture and shadow quality adjustment settings, and yet RAGE which is basically a massive dick-waving tech demo from ID, didn't have any of that.

Rage being broken is just the result of a terrible port of a terrible engine.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

@three02 said:

@Hero_Swe said:

This right here. If goddamn Sonic the Hedgehog is the gold standard of a PC port, AAA developers are doing something wrong.

To be fair though, RAGE was a massive dick-waving tech demo from id.

SpasticHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpasticHeathen

[quote]

yeah I'm doing pretty well too, I wouldn't say flawless (I had one crash), but it works pretty well aside from some slight slowdown if there's too many fluid effects; and it is really sharp on the computer.

and I have an AMD athlon phenom x4 or something, radeon HD5770, 8 gbs of ram, so it's a little worse than his, but I'm still doin fine

[/quote]

I'm running with an Intel Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz, Radeon HD6850 (Or whatever is the mid-range 6XXX model) and four gigs of DDR2 ram. There's only -one- section of the game that makes the game crawl and it's the long wall-run down into the hotel lobby of Speed Highway. Everything else has been sitting high and pretty at 60 FPS at 1080p and the game looks great for it.

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MURDERSMASH

For those of you wondering about how it looks at 1080p (I acutally run 1920x1200, so I guess it's 1200p xD)0, i'll get some screenshots posted when I get home from work. @ Alo81 Yeah the game runs silky smooth, capped @ vSync. I noticed a couple spots in Chemical Plant Zone where it stuttered a bit, but it was barely an issue and ran perfectly smooth for the other 99% of the level.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funzzo

Great news. Buying this today for sure.
    CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By CosmicQueso

Some of the criticisms revolve around chasms you can't see because they're offscreen, etc. etc. Any idea if this game supports 5760x1080p? Seems like that'd be pretty sweet and eliminate the one major negative I'm hearing about the game.

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MURDERSMASH

@CosmicQueso said:

Some of the criticisms revolve around chasms you can't see because they're offscreen, etc. etc. Any idea if this game supports 5760x1080p? Seems like that'd be pretty sweet and eliminate the one major negative I'm hearing about the game.

I'm not sure if it supports triple-monitor resolutions, as I only have one monitor xD.

The "critics" saying the chasms are hard to see are carelessly spamming boost without planning ahead. There are areas where it's smart to hold down boost, and there are places where you need to slow down and platform it, classic-style. The people flying to bottomless pits and off the sides are basically going too fast for the specific area they're in. I was having similar issues in Seaside Hill Modern, until I slowed the hell down, and I didn't die at all after that. In my opinion, these levels are expertly designed, because they're built around players having to learn them to maximize speed and get good times.

It's funny; people cry about the levels being "boost to win", so they made them harder. Now people are crying about them being "unfair" and "too hard to see chasms". Sounds like a lack of skill on the player's front, in my opinion.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

I've been playing for a few hours and the PC version is absolutely fantastic. Puts other ports I've played to fucking shame.

Don't be too disheartened if the game doesn't run flawlessly on max settings for you. I dropped the resolution down from 1080p to 720p and turned AA on and it runs smooth as silk and still looks gorgeous. Besides, that's at least what the console version runs at and the Steam version is cheaper, has more options, cloud saves and all the rest of it. I just hope it sells well so we can see more great ports like it in the future.

Oh, and if you're any kind of Sonic fan you need to get this.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Liber

I picked this game up on Steam yesterday and I am having a lot of fun with it, the game looks and runs great.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NekuSakuraba

A few questions -

In the quicklook they said it had a bit of choppiness, is it there in the PC version?

How are the PC controls?

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Liber

@NekuSakuraba said:

A few questions -

In the quicklook they said it had a bit of choppiness, is it there in the PC version?

How are the PC controls?

No choppiness.

Its a direct 360 port with better graphics, you get 360 prompts everywhere. The game comes with a configuration tool where you assign buttons, however they don't tell you what button does what, so basically you assign keyboard buttons to X Y A B LB TR LT RT.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

Do you play it with a mouse and keyboard or a gamepad?

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MURDERSMASH

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

The game has keyboard controls, but this is the kind of game that you HAVE to use a gamepad to play it best. I use a Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510, which is built in the Playstation style, and it works perfectly with this game. Had no issues; it was literally plug and play for this game. It also works with the stock 360 controller, though i've heard there are issues getting the wireless version to work.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

@three02 said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

The game has keyboard controls, but this is the kind of game that you HAVE to use a gamepad to play it best. I use a Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510, which is built in the Playstation style, and it works perfectly with this game. Had no issues; it was literally plug and play for this game. It also works with the stock 360 controller, though i've heard there are issues getting the wireless version to work.

No issues here, works perfectly.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By doomocrat

Wow, glad to hear such encouraging results. Looks like Sonic Team's finally hooked me. Sega fans now would like some more Jet Set and Chu Chu Rocket.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Marzy

The PS3 version suffers from some pretty bad framerate issues, in some places.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Contro

Those screens look great!. I totally forgot about Generations in my local store yesterday, I ended up buying CoD on PC instead. I'm not regretting it, but man I need to play this now.

I cant wait for the mods too!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Just so people know I got this game and it runs okay on my 3 year old laptop with a graphics card below minimum requirements.

2.3ghz Core2Duo T8100, 8600gt 256mb DDR2 (634/550)

steady 30fps @ 1024x768, shadows and reflections on low, no AA. 45-60fps @ 800x600.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Arach666

The only stage where I had a few issues was in the 2D Chemical Plant but otherwise the game runs flawlessly on the PC,and it looks amazing.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RE_Player1

@Marzy said:

Really? That's a shame, I was thinking of picking it up. Might wait for a price drop than.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By clstirens

@2HeadedNinja said:

@three02 said:

@Hero_Swe said:

Rage being broken is just the result of a terrible port of a terrible engine.

That was kinda his point, though...

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Marzy

@msavo said:

@Marzy said:

Really? That's a shame, I was thinking of picking it up. Might wait for a price drop than.

Yep, I just hope SEGA can patch it somehow.

KontX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KontX

@Contro: Didn't know that existed! Buying one on eBay now! :D

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By CosmicQueso

@three02 said:

@CosmicQueso said:

I'm not sure if it supports triple-monitor resolutions, as I only have one monitor xD.

The "critics" saying the chasms are hard to see are carelessly spamming boost without planning ahead. There are areas where it's smart to hold down boost, and there are places where you need to slow down and platform it, classic-style. The people flying to bottomless pits and off the sides are basically going too fast for the specific area they're in. I was having similar issues in Seaside Hill Modern, until I slowed the hell down, and I didn't die at all after that. In my opinion, these levels are expertly designed, because they're built around players having to learn them to maximize speed and get good times.

It's funny; people cry about the levels being "boost to win", so they made them harder. Now people are crying about them being "unfair" and "too hard to see chasms". Sounds like a lack of skill on the player's front, in my opinion.

Awesome, thanks for the great response!

I fired it up over the weekend and while the game allows you to play in 5760x1080 resolution all it does is stretch the 1920x1080 image across three screens. NO BUENO.

All in all, it's still a ton of fun, it would have been wild to have that running natively in 5760 though.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SonicBoyster

I just finished the game on PC and I can confirm it's an awesome port. My poor Core 2 E6400 has a few issues with the how fast everything goes but even with the slowdown it felt totally playable. Only gripe I have is not having access to Sonic 1 as an unlockable in the PC version.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@CosmicQueso: There might be a way to get true 5760x1080 by manipulating the GraphicsConfig.cfg file. I don't have 3 monitors but if I did I'd try playing around with that file. Try at your own risk, of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.