Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Mania

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 15, 2017

An official throwback to the early-'90s Sega Genesis roots of the Sonic the Hedgehog series from some notable creators of the series's fanwork.

Sonic Mania Review Embargo is Up (and the Reaction is Positive)

• 69 results
    Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Naoiko

Holy smokes I might actually buy a new sonic game.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This game looks cool, i't's good to see that the reviews are good.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By cloudymusic

I don't have much attachment to the Sonic series beyond playing 1-3 at a friend's house as a kid, but this game still hits me square in the nostalgia zone. You can tell how much care they put into it.

Maybe this will become the first Sonic game I actually complete?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a bit worried this game would have too much Sonic CD in its DNA given the developer's past work on the CD remake. Thankfully the mechanics and level design are Sonic 3 & Knuckles through and through.

The only levels with CD's terrible chaotic platform barf design are the two reimimagined CD levels, and even then the level design of those is still better than the original versions.

I liked Colors and Generations a lot, but this is the Sonic game I've wanted for years. It's so much better than all the 2D Sonic games of the past 20 years.

The devs clearly understand what made the Genesis games so great, unlike Dimps who made all the handheld and download games since Sonic Advance. The level design and physics in Mania is so much better than the Advance, Rush, and Sonic 4 games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As someone that replays the 16-bit games every year or two, this is exactly what I hoped it would be.

vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most Sonic games are good.

I preordered the PC version before they announced the delay and have been seriously considering getting the Switch version to play while I wait for the PC version.

Image already added
    Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Inresurrection

@vorsic said:

Most Sonic games are good.

You feeling alright?

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

I just beat the game and can confirm that it is good. You don't have to be a hardcore series fan to enjoy it, but there are some nice nods thrown in for those people. I will echo what has been said that if you like the old games, you will like this. My one gripe is that there are only about 4 "original" levels built from scratch, but even the old ones have all-new level design and great boss fights. The game feels identical to the genesis games, which is a huge plus in my book. This is one of my favorite ganes of the year so far and I encourage everyone to check it out.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Boss of Chemical Zone Act 2 :DDDD

This game is giving me the fuzzies, they've nailed it.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a bit worried this game would have too much Sonic CD in its DNA given the developer's past work on the CD remake. Thankfully the mechanics and level design are Sonic 3 & Knuckles through and through.

The only levels with CD's terrible chaotic platform barf design are the two reimimagined CD levels, and even then the level design of those is still better than the original versions.

I liked Colors and Generations a lot, but this is the Sonic game I've wanted for years. It's so much better than all the 2D Sonic games of the past 20 years.

The devs clearly understand what made the Genesis games so great, unlike Dimps who made all the handheld and download games since Sonic Advance. The level design and physics in Mania is so much better than the Advance, Rush, and Sonic 4 games.

Man, that's good to hear. Because, even though I preordered Sonic CD when it came out on Steam, I hadn't really played it until recently in anticipation for Mania. And goddamn. What the hell even is that game? The level design is total dogshit, making even the somewhat interesting time travel mechanics a total pain in the ass.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lv4Monk
    @luchalma said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

Man, that's good to hear. Because, even though I preordered Sonic CD when it came out on Steam, I hadn't really played it until recently in anticipation for Mania. And goddamn. What the hell even is that game? The level design is total dogshit, making even the somewhat interesting time travel mechanics a total pain in the ass.

It amazes me that people aren't more critical of Sonic CD. "platform barf" is a great way to describe that sloppy game.

I guess the music's so good that people don't notice how incoherent and poorly thought out the rest of it is.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've made it a decent way into the game and if anyone is reading this and is on the fence, just get it. It's good and that's about all there is to it.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jamesyfx

It's a really good Sonic game. I'm excited to come back to it once I've not played it for a few hours.. Which hasn't been the case since maybe Sonic 3.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not doing great with those bonus stages, but other than that, it is pretty great! Definitely feeling the nostalgia in a good (and sometimes frustrating, yet still familiar) way.

I'm not sure what I want next, when it comes to old Sega games that I played....guess that upcoming ToeJam & Earl game being good would be swell.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm considering this and I've barely played Sonic games. What is wrong with me?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've done it. They've finally made an actually good Sonic game. This is unprecedented.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This game is fucking great, you guys.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the Quick Look got me heavily interested. Considering I can't even remember the last time I played a Sonic game...it's a weeeird feeling.

Mania has an awesome look to it and has a rad soundtrack from what I got in the QL.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I... I bought a new Sonic game.

... And not only is is good, I'd say it's great. The classic stages are neat but those new stages are something else.

I still suck at the Chemical Plant Zone.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I'm enjoying it a lot. Save for the cheap bullshit they held over from the original games like getting crushed between those moving blocks in Chemical Plant Zone because the tiniest portion of Sonic's body wasn't over far enough. I can't believe they kept that infuriating part where the water rises and you have jump on those blocks. Like...what the fuck.

Also not enjoying the bonus stages. They're a lot harder than I remember, and I played a ton of them with the S&K cartridge. The 3D chaos emerald stages are cool, though.

For the most part, it's an excellent mix of old and new. I like the old school look with smoother animations. Boss fights are inventive and mostly fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.