Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soulcalibur IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 29, 2008

The fifth installment in Namco's Soul series of weapon-based fighting games, Soulcalibur IV is the first to be released on seventh-generation consoles and the first online entry in the series. It's known for its use of Star Wars characters as guest fighters.

Soul Calibur IV training?

Avatar image for quick_stop_chad
    Quick_Stop_Chad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Quick_Stop_Chad

hey guys , Ive been playing the series for awhile now, however my skills seem to to be....lacking. does anyone have any pointers into getting into this game?
    i have the 360 version and i play as Mitsurugi ( i have been told he is a Noob character i know) can anyone help me get a foothold with this title, maybe playing some matches with me? my gamer tag is "The Gannondork"

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

First of all, make sure you map A+Y and B+X to the bumper buttons, as you'll never be able to hit either on a standard controller in the heat of battle.  Aside from that, I have left trigger as switch and right trigger as A+B+X+Y, for quick critical finisher access. 

Many players will attack you every chance they get, but the better ones will play mind games with you.  Learn to guard impact well, and follow up with attacks.  Someone who attacks every chance they have is easily guard impacted.  Also, switch things up with both high and low attacks to keep people guessing.  Finally, hop into training mode and just play around for a while.  Mess around with different combinations of buttons and stick movements, and learn what does what.  Then, watch the moves performed in the moves list menu, and figure out which ones seem like they'd be useful and in what circumstances.  The more of your character's move list you can memorize, the better off you'll be.  Once you have that down, start learning combos and you'll be set.

I used to be somewhat decent as SC II, but I'm just getting into the game again, so don't take these as the words of an expert or anything.  I'm pretty far from that.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Homer
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "First of all, make sure you map A+Y and B+X to the bumper buttons, as you'll never be able to hit either on a standard controller in the heat of battle.  Aside from that, I have left trigger as switch and right trigger as A+B+X+Y, for quick critical finisher access. 

Many players will attack you every chance they get, but the better ones will play mind games with you.  Learn to guard impact well, and follow up with attacks.  Someone who attacks every chance they have is easily guard impacted.  Also, switch things up with both high and low attacks to keep people guessing.  Finally, hop into training mode and just play around for a while.  Mess around with different combinations of buttons and stick movements, and learn what does what.  Then, watch the moves performed in the moves list menu, and figure out which ones seem like they'd be useful and in what circumstances.  The more of your character's move list you can memorize, the better off you'll be.  Once you have that down, start learning combos and you'll be set.

I used to be somewhat decent as SC II, but I'm just getting into the game again, so don't take these as the words of an expert or anything.  I'm pretty far from that.

"

Holy crap.. thanks for that lol hopefully this will make me better cuz right now I suck
    normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By normajean777

yeah i was one of the players that just went all out and then i studied some of the higher rank opponents and now i chill and only combo when i see the time is right

Killuminati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Killuminati

Yeah blocking is your friend it's just knowing when to and not to that's the hard part.

InuFaye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By InuFaye

Find offline competition.

Online competition is a joke.

Avatar image for quick_stop_chad
    Quick_Stop_Chad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quick_Stop_Chad
    InuFaye said:
    "Find offline competition.

Online competition is a joke.
    "

yeah i found that out, for every truly fun match i get i get 5 with a jerk spamming with kilik or Raphael, which takes me out of the experience. but as it turns out i have picked a bit of reversals today and its been helping my game.
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By logson

I bought the game today, and DAMN do you need to learn to block well to succeed on higher levels. Anyone can mash their way through story mode on normal, but on hard (and online sometimes) people will make you look completely foolish if you don't know what you're doing with the G  button. To train myself on guarding, I record combos in training mode, then try to block them correctly.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    "First of all, make sure you map A+Y and B+X to the bumper buttons, as you'll never be able to hit either on a standard controller in the heat of battle.  Aside from that, I have left trigger as switch and right trigger as A+B+X+Y, for quick critical finisher access. 

"

I didnt even know you could map two buttons to one I was so excited I ran downstairs and perfected it for my characters in training. But I found it to personally be better on the triggers since their easier to press for me personally and I made the bumpers what you made the triggers. I am very excited to fight online tomorrow and see how it goes this explains how people were doing crazy moves crazy fast. Sometimes I just didnt understand how the did it because I would have to bash X+Y and Y+B and it would be awkward and I would sometimes press the wrong buttons now the game controls very fluently almost like I own a arcade stick which I am thinking of buying. You are so wise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.