Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Souls

Franchise »

Developed by FromSoftware, these games are third-person action RPGs famous for their punishing difficulty.

Creative director says there might be no more Souls games.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jozzy

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-31-dark-souls-developer-apologises-for-frame-rate-issues

Dark Souls developer From Software has admitted to "technical difficulties" which cause troubling frame-rate issues in its hard-as-nails role-player.

From Software felt out of its depth with the game's huge scope, Dark Souls' creative director Hidetaka Miyazaki revealed to Edge.

"Yes, there were technical difficulties," Miyazaki said. "I don't believe that it's okay to have them, but realistically speaking, it was quite a large-scale game - even in terms of budget and expectations.

"So we're very sorry for the trouble we've caused by our processing errors and bugs from Japan. It was a title that we haven't really experienced in all aspects, so there were areas where we felt our technical side couldn't keep up with the game's scope, like an increasingly growing ache."

Miyazaki considered working on the game "a learning curve", but is unsure whether From Software will ever revisit the Dark Souls universe.

"We don't even know if we'll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don't know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes."

This might be the Japanese way of fishing for compliments, but it´s not funny. Pretty much everyone adores this game, they really think users wont forgive them for some shitty framerates in spots?\

EDIT: MB, thanks for moving it to the appropiate forums!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cornbredx

What are they talking about? The game is awesome. Ya, I mean its got some bugs but its not THAT bad. I felt it held its own against Skyrim last year. One of the best games I played.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By scarace360

im fine with that. A new IP would be cool.

R_Coles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By R_Coles

I don't think the reaction to the game was negative at all. They might be overstating the problems people have complained about regarding framerate. Yeah it was bad in blightown but most people I talk to dont feel it affects the overall experience in the game...

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By CJduke

The frame rate was only really bad in blighttown for me and in the overall scheme of things it didn't effect my thoughts on the game

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I haven't played Dark Souls but I haven't ever heard a negative comment towards it besides it's difficulty, which really isn't a negative.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jozzy

@scarace360 said:

im fine with that. A new IP would be cool.

Well maybe, but at least make the mechanics and combat similar. I heard the King's Fields series which they did before the Souls' games were similar type games. I don't think we'll see any other developers making these type of games, so I hope they'll keep doing them.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

@jozzy said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-31-dark-souls-developer-apologises-for-frame-rate-issues

Dark Souls developer From Software has admitted to "technical difficulties" which cause troubling frame-rate issues in its hard-as-nails role-player.

From Software felt out of its depth with the game's huge scope, Dark Souls' creative director Hidetaka Miyazaki revealed to Edge.

"Yes, there were technical difficulties," Miyazaki said. "I don't believe that it's okay to have them, but realistically speaking, it was quite a large-scale game - even in terms of budget and expectations.

"So we're very sorry for the trouble we've caused by our processing errors and bugs from Japan. It was a title that we haven't really experienced in all aspects, so there were areas where we felt our technical side couldn't keep up with the game's scope, like an increasingly growing ache."

Miyazaki considered working on the game "a learning curve", but is unsure whether From Software will ever revisit the Dark Souls universe.

"We don't even know if we'll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don't know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes."

This might be the Japanese way of fishing for compliments, but it´s not funny.

More just a developer being sincere combined with the rather common Japanese emphasis on being humble and kind.

They'll be another one!

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Commisar123

I have too many problems with Dark Souls too really be upset by the idea that they will not be making any more of them. That being said I wish them luck in their future work.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jozzy

@Sooty said:

@jozzy said:

This might be the Japanese way of fishing for compliments, but it´s not funny.

More just a developer being sincere combined with the rather common Japanese emphasis on being humble and kind.

They'll be another one!

But he must've seen all the rave reviews and positive feedback from gamers right? Well, at least we will get some DLC in the very near future.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MideonNViscera

I appreciate that he said technical problems aren't ok. Hear that Skyrim, you overhyped borefest (when you worked?)? hahah

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.