Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2017

EA's second Star Wars Battlefront features cross-era characters and locations from the original, prequel and sequel Star Wars movie trilogies. It also includes multiplayer character classes and a story-driven single-player campaign.

This is Star Wars Battlefront Trailer

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I saw on the Playstation Blog that there was a new trailer for Battlefront II. As someone who loved the first game I've been anticipating this for awhile now but this trailer reassures me that EA is listening and the game feels like its moving in the right direction.

The biggest change I like is the move away from Hero's being a pickup and more of a performance perk. There was nothing more frustrating then a team having 4 heroes because they happen to get all the Hero pick-ups in the level in the last game.

Space Combat looks a lot better than the first one. I'm still curious if they'll ever implement one of the cooler modes from the original Star Wars: Battlefront II. Both factions started on a cruiser and had to fly through space to board the enemy cruiser and destroy a generator on it. It was a fantastic mix of space and land combat.

The only thing that is a bummer seems to be the lack of modes. I really liked some of the game types they had come up with in Battlefront. Battle Station (aka Trench Run) and the Rogue One - Scarif Infiltration mode were great multimode matches that mixed in a bunch of game types. I hope Galactic Assault is like that and not just ground assaults but we'll see in the beta coming soon.

Regardless I'm super stoked and Arcade mode looks like it could be a lot of fun to play with my kid.

Anyways just wanted to share.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm just happy classes are back, gives the game some semblance of actually being a Battlefront game again. And making new maps free is a much better idea. Battlefront 1's DLCs were a mess, Rogue One's nearly made me skip out on the series.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It looks promising. The trailer is definitely nice.

I hope the increased game modes and single player really stick because I really want this game to be good.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I was picking it up anyway for the single player. It's been way too long since the last AAA Star Wars story. I hope I'll be able to get into the multiplayer. Played Battlefront 1 earlier this year when my friend had PS+ for a hot minute. Maybe we can get into this one again.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brackstone

Everything about the marketing for this game seems to be saying sorry for the first one. It's a level of "fuck that old one, this one's where it's at" usually reserved for EA's sports games. This game seems like a huge improvement, and they want you to know it rather than try to ignore their past mistakes.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about the marketing for this game seems to be saying sorry for the first one. It's a level of "fuck that old one, this one's where it's at" usually reserved for EA's sports games. This game seems like a huge improvement, and they want you to know it rather than try to ignore their past mistakes.

I don't necessarily see it as that. You can't have this game without having made the first game. For all it's faults there is a lot of good in there and certainly lays a great foundation for this.. I think DICE also realized that if they want to get the space combat done right they needed help as I think Fighter Squadron and flying in the first game weren't very good.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sure is some good looking star wars, i wonder how the heroes play since they have a whole mode based on them now? I played the beta for the 'first' one but never picked it up despite having a pretty good time with it, just seemed a bit to bare bones i guess. Also never really played the originals so i have no nostalgia for this game series

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wow. I'm actually kinda impressed.

Looks like a significantly more complete and well-rounded game, as well as one that seems much more reminiscent of the old Battlefront games. Can't quite place why, but the little snippits of story here are giving me an old Star Wars games vibe; like back during the Jedi Knight days. Hope it delivers!

I also hope there are some good options for bot matches or co-op. Really ain't getting the sense that'll be the case though. The card system also doesn't seem great, unless they're not consumable in which case it's fine.

Certainly makes me feel a lot better about not getting the first one, cause damn they're out here with graphs 'n shit saying "no really, look how much more this game has."

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Looks like a significantly more complete and well-rounded game, as well as one that seems much more reminiscent of the old Battlefront games. Can't quite place why, but the little snippits of story here are giving me an old Star Wars games vibe; like back during the Jedi Knight days. Hope it delivers!

I also hope there are some good options for bot matches or co-op. Really ain't getting the sense that'll be the case though. The card system also doesn't seem great, unless they're not consumable in which case it's fine.

Certainly makes me feel a lot better about not getting the first one, cause damn they're out here with graphs 'n shit saying "no really, look how much more this game has."

If it's like the first battlefront you have two types of Star Cards that filled three slots. Two cards were on cooldown's that had infinite use. These were things like Thermal Detonators, Scout pistols, flash grenades, healing, etc. The other slot was filled with a consumable cooldown that you could replenish with in map pick ups. You usually got 25 uses to start out with but depending on the use you could burn through them fairly quickly. You could also replenish them using the in-game currency you would earn through playing. They were slightly more powerful or useful items (Make your gun an Ion gun or personal shield bubble).

Sounds like they are keeping a somewhat similar system but more class based. So rather than every character getting a personal shield that might only be for the heavy now (I don't know if that is actually the case).

Bot matches in the first one had pretty terrible AI so one can only hope it's an improvement.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sure is some good looking star wars, i wonder how the heroes play since they have a whole mode based on them now? I played the beta for the 'first' one but never picked it up despite having a pretty good time with it, just seemed a bit to bare bones i guess. Also never really played the originals so i have no nostalgia for this game series

They had hero modes in the previous game as well. I assume the heroes will play pretty similarly to that game.

@zirilius said:
    @theht said:

If it's like the first battlefront you have two types of Star Cards that filled three slots. Two cards were on cooldown's that had infinite use. These were things like Thermal Detonators, Scout pistols, flash grenades, healing, etc. The other slot was filled with a consumable cooldown that you could replenish with in map pick ups. You usually got 25 uses to start out with but depending on the use you could burn through them fairly quickly. You could also replenish them using the in-game currency you would earn through playing. They were slightly more powerful or useful items (Make your gun an Ion gun or personal shield bubble).

Sounds like they are keeping a somewhat similar system but more class based. So rather than every character getting a personal shield that might only be for the heavy now (I don't know if that is actually the case).

Bot matches in the first one had pretty terrible AI so one can only hope it's an improvement.

I think the starcards is a pretty neat system, but the decision to have one of the types be consumable always baffled me. If it reset the charges at the beginning of each match and you had to collect them to use the cards that would make a certain amount of sense, but having them carry over between matches and otherwise having to buy them with credits always seemed insane. Doubly so because I don`t even think you can use real money to buy them, so it`s not like they are trying to get money out of you either.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@zirilius: That doesn't sound too bad then. Just another loadout layer.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

They had hero modes in the previous game as well. I assume the heroes will play pretty similarly to that game.

@zirilius said:
    @theht said:

I think the starcards is a pretty neat system, but the decision to have one of the types be consumable always baffled me. If it reset the charges at the beginning of each match and you had to collect them to use the cards that would make a certain amount of sense, but having them carry over between matches and otherwise having to buy them with credits always seemed insane. Doubly so because I don`t even think you can use real money to buy them, so it`s not like they are trying to get money out of you either.

Oh I agree I thought the consumable system was stupid but I think it was to get people to download the Battlefront app so they could earn more credits. When the game launched you had nothing to spend credits on except Unlocks and consumables. As the game progressed though you got Hutt Contracts for weapon and star card unlocks to work towards. I actually quite liked the Hutt Contracts even if some were a bit infuriating to unlock.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Wonder how much of a push Janina Gavankar's character will get for best new character since she's friends with GB? This does look like a substantial improvement over the first EA Battlefront though and will likely contend for best looking game of 2017.

Though does anyone found it a little odd that John Boyega (Finn) doesn't speak in his British accent in the movies when Daisy Ridley (Rey) maintains her British accent? Just an observation.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

They're creeping slowly closer to what made the original Battlefront games great. That trailer might have sold me to give it another chance, after being let down by the first game. The single player story legitimately looks like it could be great and, while the space battles sadly don't have ground troops in them, the inclusion of that Kamino level is tingling my nostalgia.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arcade Mode sounds like great fun. Most of my time with the originals was spent dicking around in local multi.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.