Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Can you solo or pure party game?

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I've looked and it seems everything is done as part of a party.  Is there any solo content at all?
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

The whole game and Story from 1-50 can be played solo. Using your AI companions as aids.

Those clips are called operations in The Old Republic and they are much like WoW instances in which 4 players must go in to tackle the specific taks and take down the boss. It is just a small fraction of the content in ToR that can only be played with 4 people (or 2 people with 2 companions)

Bioware have said that each classes single player content is upward of 100 hours of typical Bioware story content. 8 classes = 800 hours of solo content. So yes. :D

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Ohhh I like what you are saying.  I've always wished WoW would have a two person instance system and this seems to be a great way to do it.  Thanks for the info.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Welcome. Yeah it's a interesting feature, they have said it may be tougher because a AI player does not make up for a human but it's possible and such a nice option to run through all the content with one friend.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Vexxan

Their will be planets based solely around solo content so we'll have plenty to do :)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat

The story is crafted for one player it seems. In a party when you have a conversation, decisions are made on a dice roll amoungst the chosen answers by the characters in a party, effectively meaning that if you have friends that are dicks you may want to play solo anyway for big story stuff.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I've done a bit more research and I have seen that dice system which is a clever way of handling stuff.  It really does feel that the game is more like a solo game with MMO stuff added on to keep expanding the content. 

Has there been any signs of a open beta coming?  I'd like to get a few hours of actual playing to see if I should get all hyped up and pre-order blah blah.  :D
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@sins_of_mosin said:

Has there been any signs of a open beta coming? I'd like to get a few hours of actual playing to see if I should get all hyped up and pre-order blah blah. :D

Beta is invitational as we speak. They have said they will up the invites significantly through September for stress testing.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I signed up so I hope I get a chance in Sept to try the game.

I know there is a NDA but has anyone leaked actual gameplay footage?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    I signed up so I hope I get a chance in Sept to try the game.  I know there is a NDA but has anyone leaked actual gameplay footage?
    Yes, there's tons of leaked footage.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @CL60 said:
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    I signed up so I hope I get a chance in Sept to try the game.  I know there is a NDA but has anyone leaked actual gameplay footage?

You got a link to a site?  I didn't have much luck on a couple searches I did.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Wuddel

In this day and age, you can probably either party the game or micro-transact yourself through it solo...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    @CL60 said:
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    betacake. They just made a new site and none of the old content is on it anymore.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sins_of_mosin: There will also be an end-game planet for solo-players.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @xobballox said:
    @sins_of_mosin: There will also be an end-game planet for solo-players.

Good to hear. 

@CL60 said:
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    @CL60 said:
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    betacake. They just made a new site and none of the old content is on it anymore.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep checking them. 
    jipearce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By jipearce

Yes, I have seen a great deal of content which is designed for solo players. In fact, not only is the class story created for solo players, but many sidequests are as well. And even Instances can be done with a minimum of people, with your companions able to fill spots. I shouldn't think that solo players will be wanting for content come launch.

Fenris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Fenris82

You should be fine while you're leveling, if you skip some of the tougher party missions, but I have my doubts that there'll be a lot to do at the end game for solo players.

Most of the end game that I have seen come out from Bioware has been group focused

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Since creating this thread, I've seen plenty to calm my fears. I've also joined a guild and the leader did the beta weekend a couple weeks ago and that help to put all my fears to rest. Even pre-ordered and I haven't done that since Borderlands in 2009.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.