Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Guy gets banned for ancient meme

• 126 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

You people are just so petty it makes me sad.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#103  Edited By StarvingGamer

Fuck I don't even care if this is real. It's not their job to be able to tell the difference between a meme and a statement. It's your job to understand the EULA that you're agreeing to.

It's like walking through airport security and you start spouting out "somebody set us up the bomb" bullshit. The TSA doesn't give a fuck about Zero Wing. You're getting someone's hand up your ass within 10 minutes and it's your own damn fault.

That being said, anybody who reads a random forum thread title then immediately starts repeating it as truth is an idiot and I hate you.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Ulain

I used to be a Bioware fanboy like you, then I took a meme to the knee.

Even if it is fake, I know for a fact they have suspended people for providing links to files when their shitty patcher gave you corrupted versions. So this probably isn't a far stretch of the actual truth in regards to their definition of "moderation".

I told them to go fuck themselves in my un-subscribe questionnaire though.

Chillax bro. You're going to blow a gasket.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By TheHT

@Ulain said:

I used to be a Bioware fanboy like you, then I took a meme to the knee.

Meta-memes. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Dumb people being banned for dumb shit. What else is new?

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Ulain

@StarvingGamer said:

Fuck I don't even care if this is real. It's not their job to be able to tell the difference between a meme and a statement. It's your job to understand the EULA that you're agreeing to.

It's like walking through airport security and you start spouting out "somebody set us up the bomb" bullshit. The TSA doesn't give a fuck about Zero Wing. You're getting someone's hand up your ass within 10 minutes and it's your own damn fault.

That being said, anybody who reads a random forum thread title then immediately starts repeating it as truth is an idiot and I hate you.

Comparing increased national security which was the result of 9/11 (you know, where people died) to not knowing what a meme is, and simply being the result of poor customer service? Are you really that fucking stupid?

Look up comparisons for "Spirit of the law" and "Letter of the law" sometime, that way you can stop spouting your own ignorant bullshit regarding a pathetic EULA.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Ulain: It is the TSA's job to enforce airport safety procedures and it is the job of EA mods to enforce the EULA. Why do EA mods have to be universally knowledgeable about random internet memes and not the TSA? Do user rights suddenly matter less just because the stakes are higher? That sounds like a pretty ignorant (and dangerous) position to take if you ask me.

Maybe when you get older you'll realize that simply including a "no kids" clause in your EULA doesn't automatically make it "pathetic."

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Karl_Boss

I'm old enough to not get banned and what is this?

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By babblinmule

I'm increasingly starting to hate most internet forums - maybe its rose tinted glasses, but I swear there werent as many witch hunts in the past.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Ulain

@StarvingGamer said:

@Ulain: It is the TSA's job to enforce airport safety procedures and it is the job of EA mods to enforce the EULA. Why do EA mods have to be universally knowledgeable about random internet memes and not the TSA? Do user rights suddenly matter less just because the stakes are higher? That sounds like a pretty ignorant (and dangerous) position to take if you ask me.

Maybe when you get older you'll realize that simply including a "no kids" clause in your EULA doesn't automatically make it "pathetic."

This is almost too dumb to respond to, but I'll take the troll bait because I'm bored. I have no clue what "user rights" you're referring to; not sure of many 12-year olds that are causing plane hijackings to kill 3,000 people where, as you so eloquently put it, the stakes are higher. You completely ignored my point about spirit vs. letter of the law, probably because you didn't bother to look up what it means.

The best part is, even if it is a hoax, you have these kind of people defending the right to go on a powertrip. I'm guessing you're also the kind of person to give a high-five to Anthony Bologna for pepper-spraying naughty protesters, because it's his duty to enforce laws, even if he has no idea what he's doing.

Are you incredibly young or incredibly old to have such narrow-minded viewpoints? Just curious.

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By veiasma

@Brodehouse said:

You people are just so petty it makes me sad.

It's why I can't go to 4chan or reddit anymore.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By CL60

@Ulain said:

@StarvingGamer said:

This is almost too dumb to respond to, but I'll take the troll bait because I'm bored. I have no clue what "user rights" you're referring to; not sure of many 12-year olds that are causing plane hijackings to kill 3,000 people where, as you so eloquently put it, the stakes are higher. You completely ignored my point about spirit vs. letter of the law, probably because you didn't bother to look up what it means.

The best part is, even if it is a hoax, you have these kind of people defending the right to go on a powertrip. I'm guessing you're also the kind of person to give a high-five to Anthony Bologna for pepper-spraying naughty protesters, because it's his duty to enforce laws, even if he has no idea what he's doing.

Are you incredibly young or incredibly old to have such narrow-minded viewpoints? Just curious.

His point is, it's not their job to know the meme. It's their job to enforce the rules. And the US has a federal law that says you are not allowed to store information on your website of anybody below 13 without parental consent. People get banned from websites all the time for being underaged, and can get the ban removed if they prove they are not. They are quite literally legally obligated to take action against somebody who says they are underaged, whether or not it's a meme. Bans like this have happened, on Gamefaqs, Gaia Online, Facebook, Armor Games, Second Life, Kongregate, and many others.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By StarvingGamer

@CL60 said:

@Ulain said:

@StarvingGamer said:

His point is, it's not their job to know the meme. It's their job to enforce the rules. And the US has a federal law that says you are not allowed to store information on your website of anybody below 13 without parental consent. People get banned from websites all the time for being underaged, and can get the ban removed if they prove they are not. They are quite literally legally obligated to take action against somebody who says they are underaged, whether or not it's a meme. Bans like this have happened, on Gamefaqs, Gaia Online, Facebook, Armor Games, Second Life, Kongregate, and many others.

Yep.

And how is this a spirit/letter issue? The law/rule/EULA exists to protect kids from the evils of the internet and to protect EA from litigation. An immediate ban is the only way to accomplish this. What else are you going to do? Send a nicely worded letter asking them if they were "just kidding" and let them run amok, being hit on by child predators left and right, while waiting for them to respond? That's not how reality works.

Do we have a postscript to this situation? No, we have no fucking clue if it's even real or if there was any followup action. All we know is that EA followed the "spirit" of their EULA by immediately getting this minor off of their forums and out of their game. If this person later petitioned to have his account reinstated, providing proof of age etc, and still wasn't released from his ban, then we might have a spirit/letter thing. As the issue stands right now, EA has done absolutely nothing wrong.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Grimluck343

This is a hoax. As someone who just had his account temp-banned today, you cannot log into your forum account or view your PMs (so even if they sent him a PM telling him that his account is banned, he wouldn't be able to log in to see it). They communicate via email instead.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Ulain

@StarvingGamer: @CL60: I give up. I will just admit it...I am indeed 12 and what is this you're trying to get at?

Please to ban me from the interwebs.

NewfieBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By NewfieBullet

Jesus Christ how do you sit at a computer all day and not know that meme Bioware?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Marcsman

Nice

BombaLuigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By BombaLuigi

i just was forced to change the name of my char cause of a ToS Violation... i named my char after a japanese goddess, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izanami

the customer support guy/girl (who was very nice) informed me that my name spelled backwards is something bad... and it sure cuaght me by surprise, since i usally name my chars after goddesses or gods, and i never acutally check their name backwards...

so i told him im not happy that im forced to change the name, he said he nderstands and actually likes the name "izanami", but he is forced to force me, basically... so i changed my name to another goddes (which i wont mention here), and long story short, he immediatly looked the new BACKWARDS name up on google, and it meant something that violates agains the ToS...

he then continued, that hes fine with that name as long as no one reports me again...

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By jmrwacko

Am I the only one who sees this as the moderators having an awesome sense of humor?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By CptBedlam

@BombaLuigi: Did you change your name to Bree Olsen?

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Theworldbreaker

@Village_Guy: that looks more like a 9 year old to me.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By CaptainCody

@Three0neFive said:

@CL60 said:

@Three0neFive said:

@CL60 said:

because they hate the game and have actively been trying to make it fail since before beta

Holy fuck, my sides.

This is what these kinds of people actually believe, folks. They said it about everyone who hated Dragon Age 2, and they're saying it now. "4chan did it" is their go-to defense for literally everything.

Read what pinworm said. It's not some huge mystery that /v/ has been doing this.. >.> if you'd rather put your hands over your ears and pretend it's not happening, I don't give a shit. But it is.

As someone who frequents /v/ nearly daily, what you're suggesting is utterly ridiculous. /v/ is not Anonymous. They aren't on some internet crusade to tarnish Bioware's reputation, as you - and many other Bioware fans - seem to think. For fuck's sake, they barely have the capacity to discuss videogames without devolving into a shitslough of completely irrelevant stories and arguments, let alone do something like this.

Bioware fans are the goddamned textbook example of self-centered, delusional morons.

Oh, so I'm not the only here who has to defend 4chan when people try to blame them for shit? Well, hot damn.

@CL60: Yo, CL60. I try really hard to at least respect you as a poster but you've been making it incredibly hard lately. Stop giving a fuck about these threads, you would then acknowledge you are the primary bumper for them. The fact that they irk you this much even still bewilders me. Realize that this thread isn't even about the game at this point and about a faceless company, good or bad, their is absolutely no reason for you to give the slightest modicum of shit.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By NickL

Banning people for using memes doesn't seem like a bad idea.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By yinstarrunner

I love 4chan. I love /v/, go there every day. I dislike Dragon Age 2. SWTOR is alright.

The TORtanic threads on /v/ are absolutely full of blatant lies, misinformation, and twisting situations to fit into this Bioware hate Zeitgeist. i don't know what caused them to hate this game so mich, but once the ball got rolling it wouldn't stop. The people who repost those same misleading images in those threads day after day are more like "Biodrones" than they would ever care to admit.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#126  Edited By PufferFiz

It is not fake, the post was linked too but has now been taken down.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#127  Edited By VisariLoyalist

This is what you get when you give someone the job of "enforcing our terms of service" and a small amount of money and a huge amount of time to be super bored but still having to submit a few infractions just to appear busy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.