Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Star Wars: The Old republic to have SPACE COMBAT!!!!

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Bioware just confirmed that the game will also feature space combat in addition to the traditional MMORPG game mechanics.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Why does it have to be an MMO? ;(
    SimplyTron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SimplyTron

Why do I get the feeling this game will be more than 15 bucks a month?  I need to go out there suck some dicks to save some money to get a lifetime subscription.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ClaritySam

Stupid MMOs, I've been waiting sooooooo long for a KOTOR sequel.......

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By neoepoch

If it is anything close to being in the same vein as TIE Fighter, I'll will throw more money at Bioware. Just extra monies at them every now and then.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

And still no gameplay trailers. 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie

Although I have never played a proper space combat game and dont have the facilities to do so im always fascinated by them and enjoy watching them playout 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " And still no gameplay trailers.  "

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    There have been a few gameplay videos and I think it looks great. Plus, the now featured space combat is just a bonus, so it doesn't mean the monthly fee will increase.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By hockeymask27

Don't expect a Battlegrounds 2 type space combat. Will mostly be like star trek online.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @RE_Player92 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

"
      Mmm yep..looks like it plays just like WoW. I would love to see more just playing. There is very little. And would love to be invited to the beta which I signed up for long ago. 
      FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and expect me to not enjoy the space combat one bit.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60
      @The_Laughing_Man said:
      There have been like 4..
      Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Frostler

I'm even more stoked for this game now. Especially as a fan of MMOs, hopefully this one can have at least some of the success of WoW and not be another one of those barely surviving MMOs.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

Good, it absolutely needed it I think.  They have to distance themselves from WoW somehow, and this is a good start.  

Will be interesting to see how they handle it.  Presumably it will be closer to STO than X-Wing, unfortunately.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bravetoaster

Sounds great, but I'm going to try to avoid space combat; I'm all about the ground combat.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ISuperGamerI

It's good to see at least some people that are happy about the addition of space combat.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By mazik765
      @The_Laughing_Man said:
      Mmm yep..looks like it plays just like WoW.
      I hate this complaint. It's like saying Killzone plays like Halo. Of course it does, they are both fps games. And yeah, there are some differences, but it ultimately boils down to them playing in very similar fashions. Same goes here. They are the same genre, of course they are going to have some similarities.
      sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#19  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
      @neoepoch said:
      "If it is anything close to being in the same vein as TIE Fighter, I'll will throw more money at Bioware. Just extra monies at them every now and then. "

Hell yes, same here.  And if the space combat is amazing, I'd even consider buying another joystick - and when was the last time you heard anybody say that?
      The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
      @mazik765 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

Mmm yep..looks like it plays just like WoW.
      I hate this complaint. It's like saying Killzone plays like Halo. Of course it does, they are both fps games. And yeah, there are some differences, but it ultimately boils down to them playing in very similar fashions. Same goes here. They are the same genre, of course they are going to have some similarities. "
      Who said it was a complaint? WoW is easy to manage and a very nice set up for fighting. Anyone who has tried to spin off that system has failed. 
      NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NathHaw

I want it to be the Star Wars game that Galaxies wasn't (well, later on).  I'm totally looking forward to this game.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By grilledcheez

Cool, hopefully the space combat doesn't suck...I have a feeling it will.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ISuperGamerI
      @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
      " @neoepoch said:
      "If it is anything close to being in the same vein as TIE Fighter, I'll will throw more money at Bioware. Just extra monies at them every now and then. "
      Hell yes, same here.  And if the space combat is amazing, I'd even consider buying another joystick - and when was the last time you heard anybody say that? "
      If they mix  the space mechanics with the ones found in EVE Online, then it should be very interesting.
      Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Seppli

Yay! Success.

Crisis averted. Miniumum Star Wars franchised MMO gameplay requirements matched.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli
      @TheSeductiveMoose said:
      " Why does it have to be an MMO? ;( "
      What's wrong with it being an MMO? I certainly have no problem with it being MASSIVE. Might it be the multiplayer part then? Oh well... just get over yourself!

Or might you just be too stingy to pay for the service? Come on! You know you want it!
      artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By artelinarose
      @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

" @neoepoch said:
      Hell yes, same here.  And if the space combat is amazing, I'd even consider buying another joystick - and when was the last time you heard anybody say that? "
      If they mix  the space mechanics with the ones found in EVE Online, then it should be very interesting. "
      "Falling asleep at my keyboard while my ship does stuff for me" is a unique definition of the word "interesting."
      Avatar image for theseductivemoose
      TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Seppli said:
      " @TheSeductiveMoose said:
      " Why does it have to be an MMO? ;( "
      What's wrong with it being an MMO? I certainly have no problem with it being MASSIVE. Might it be the multiplayer part then? Oh well... just get over yourself!  Or might you just be too stingy to pay for the service? Come on! You know you want it! "
      NO ;(
      penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

I haven't played EVE Online, so I can't comment on how that works, but I'd be disappointed if space combat was too much like X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter.  Half the fun of MMO's is gearing up and so I'd think Bioware would apply that to outfitting your ship, too.  Spaceships modified with good weaponry, armor, and maneuverability should have a distinct advantage over those just out of the factory.  However, if game play is too arcadey then few of those upgrades will mean much to surviving a battle.  Of course, it can't go too far in the opposite direction either.  Star Wars is not Star Trek where huge space faring vessels pound away on each other until one goes down.  The difference would best be illustrated by the age of the Dreadnought during WWI (Star Trek) and the battles of the Pacific during WWII (Star Wars.)  Well, until I see or read more, there isn't much to be said at this point.  It's all a mystery, but for some reason I got this vision of the space combat in Halo Reach when I first read this.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seppli
      @PenguinDust said:

" I haven't played EVE Online, so I can't comment on how that works, but I'd be disappointed if space combat was too much like X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter.  Half the fun of MMO's is gearing up and so I'd think Bioware would apply that to outfitting your ship, too.  Spaceships modified with good weaponry, armor, and maneuverability should have a distinct advantage over those just out of the factory.  However, if game play is too arcadey then few of those upgrades will mean much to surviving a battle.  Of course, it can't go too far in the opposite direction either.  Star Wars is not Star Trek where huge space faring vessels pound away on each other until one goes down.  The difference would best be illustrated by the age of the Dreadnought during WWI (Star Trek) and the battles of the Pacific during WWII (Star Wars.)  Well, until I see or read more, there isn't much to be said at this point.  It's all a mystery, but for some reason I got this vision of the space combat in Halo Reach when I first read this. "

From the quotes on Kotaku, it seems to me like it will be a purely PvE kinda deal at first. Maybe something along the lines of WoW's vehicle based quests and such. A simple diversion for flavor. I'd be surprised, if it was something more meaty at launch.

That said, action based gameplay with a seperate progression system akin to CoD MW2's unlock system would be quite awesome. Unlocking new gear and space combat skills for your ship as you play it more. Like making your ship its own entity. Why not have a maxed out MMORPG character and a level 1 Arcade Space-Fighter gameplay ship. If it was purely PvP focused space combat, it would certainly work just fine for it to be action oriented gameplay akin to X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter. Gameplay along the lines of that Snoopy XBLA game.

Either way. The announcement clealy shows that Bioware is aware of the importance of Spacecraft Warfare for a Star Wars franchise game. Even it would turn out to be underwhelming at first, they will continue to re-iterate upon it and turn it into something worthwhile and awesome. I hope it's great from the get-go. I wish it will turn out to be an action-based strictly PvP affair along the lines of a Modern Warfare with spacecrafts.

Looking forward to getting the specifics. Whatever they may be.
      ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ISuperGamerI
      @Artemesia said:
      " @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

" @neoepoch said:
      If they mix  the space mechanics with the ones found in EVE Online, then it should be very interesting. "
      "Falling asleep at my keyboard while my ship does stuff for me" is a unique definition of the word "interesting." "
      I said "interesting" as in it will add an interesting game mechanic to an MMORPG which also supports ground combat.
      Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I remember when Galaxies got Jump to Light Speed. It worked well enough from what I can remember. I was on dial up at the time as well LOL. Galaxies did not have a system anything like STO, in case anyone out there did not play Galaxies JTL.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By TheHT

But will it be any good?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.