Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Gameloft to release Starcraft on iOS devices

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spectreman
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/gameloft-to-release-starcraft-on-ios-devices-or-so-it-appears.ars   
     There is the act of borrowing ideas and themes from past sources to inform your video games, and then there is the new trailer for GameLoft's Starfront: Collision on the other. It's not just that the game is a StarCraft clone; it's the fact that every one of the game's assets seems to be taken from Blizzard's game, changed just enough to avoid legal repercussions, and then crammed into the game.

Bonus points for choice of fonts. Take a look for yourself.    
    Where have I seen this before...

I'm sure the thought process went something like this: "If Blizzard doesn't want to port StarCraft to iOS devices, we will do it for them!" It's a rather amazing thing to behold, and takes the concept of cloning a game further than we've previously seen, especially with a game as distinctive looking as StarCraft.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By vaiz

Whatever, if it plays alright I wouldn't object to having Starcraft Lite on an ipad.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm past the mild annoyance of it all, and just kinda find it impressive how close they get it. It's kinda cool to see what they do next. 

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gloomytangent

Wow. Just wow. Even the healthbars are hilariously similar. I know Gameloft's been doing this for forever, have they been sued yet? I doubt there'd be any merit to a suit brought against them, but someone's got to have been pissed off enough to do it on principle by now.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dogma

It's Gameloft. This is what they do. 

Also.... MASSIVE 4 player battles. Gameloft sure have a funny view of massive.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

Interesting.  They've really gone a long way since Sexy Poker.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus

That's actually pretty rad, I might play some of it.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By metal_mills
    @GloomyTangent said:
    " Wow. Just wow. Even the healthbars are hilariously similar. I know Gameloft's been doing this for forever, have they been sued yet? I doubt there'd be any merit to a suit brought against them, but someone's got to have been pissed off enough to do it on principle by now. "
    Gameloft steal other art assets from games then changes them JUST enough to not get sued. So really, other people do the work, they steal it, make it look 10 times worse and release it.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeJerk

I wish there could be some insider leak from Gameloft so we could learn how they work and rip things.

Starcraft is just a Dune 2 ripoff anyway, sweet game that was ¨<

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ComradeKritstov

"The best of real-time strategy at the tip of your fingers."  

I'm a little skeptical.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By gloomytangent
    @Metal_Mills: No, I get that. I'm saying that someone can still bring a lawsuit, just to give Gameloft bad PR out of spite. It'd be expensive and they'd certainly lose, but I can see someone who's rich/pissed enough doing it. Doubt it'll be Blizzard/Activision though. They love money too much, even if they are swimming in WoW cash.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Donos
    When I saw the marines' square helmets I started laughing uncontrollably. 

@ComradeKritstov said:

" "The best of real-time strategy at the tip of your fingers."   I'm a little skeptical. "

It's not taking the best of strategy and putting it at your fingertips, it's taking strategy that is at your fingertips (ie none) and giving you the best of that none.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Donos said:
    " @ComradeKritstov said:

" "The best of real-time strategy at the tip of your fingers."   I'm a little skeptical. "

It's not taking the best of strategy and putting it at your fingertips, it's taking strategy that is at your fingertips (ie none) and giving you the best of that none. "
    You have no idea how much strategy happens on a daily basis at the tip of my fingers.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X19

SOLD!!! 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Skald

I hate Gameloft so goddamned much.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pigmartyr

At least it supports lan play =)..... too soon?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By tebbit

I lost it at "human mining coalition: The Consortion." 

NO! 

YOU CAN'T NAME ANYTHING THE CONSORTION. 
    IT'S THE MOST GENERIC NAME EVER CONSTRUCTED WITH REAL LETTERS!

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Big_Rough

The best things in life come from someone ripping off someone else.

Its the circle of life.......

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thule

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By wunder_

Consortium OP, nerf pls

SenorSausage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SenorSausage

I'm not exactly sure how to feel about this. On one hand this is pretty clearly a total, if not legaly actionable, ripoff of SC and that's pretty fucking gross. On the other hand it at least looks like a decent port of SC to touch based systems and that's something I'd be interested in seeing, if for no other reason than novelty. It doesn't look like this would cut into blizzard's gains, as I doubt they had a mobile port of this franchise lined up, but this is still some shady-ass shady business. 

I just can't believe how hard they are going with this. It's not like some of the characters and playstyle have been co-opted. They straight up took a 10+ year old game, drew mustaches on all the units, said, " You know what kind of story people want with their RTS's? Resource wars, 'cause fuck it, that's what they're doin anyway, right? "  and plan on releasing that shit.

Insanity

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ch13696 said:
    " Hhhmmm... I could've sworn that... 

"
    Yup.  Also Warcraft utterly stole everything it had including UI and freakin cursor (of all things) from Westwood's Dune 2.  WoW stole almost everything it had thematically from Lord of the Rings too.  Blizzard, the originators of IP theft turned to profit.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ch13696
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ch13696 said:

"
    Yup.  Also Warcraft utterly stole everything it had including UI and freakin cursor (of all things) from Westwood's Dune 2.  WoW stole almost everything it had thematically from Lord of the Rings too.  Blizzard, the originators of IP theft turned to profit. "
    Wait... is that sarcasm?
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Bones8677

What I don't get is how Gameloft can release a new ripped off iPhone game every freakin' week!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ch13696 said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @ch13696 said:

"
    Yup.  Also Warcraft utterly stole everything it had including UI and freakin cursor (of all things) from Westwood's Dune 2.  WoW stole almost everything it had thematically from Lord of the Rings too.  Blizzard, the originators of IP theft turned to profit. "

Wait... is that sarcasm? "

Absolutely not.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turambar
    @Tebbit said:
    " I lost it at "human mining coalition: The Consortion."  NO!  YOU CAN'T NAME ANYTHING THE CONSORTION. IT'S THE MOST GENERIC NAME EVER CONSTRUCTED WITH REAL LETTERS! "
    No, that'd be The Federation or The Alliance.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Turambar
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ch13696 said:

"
    Really?  You're going to...   Wow, I don't even know what to say to that if you're stating that with a straight face.  I guess the world is barred from High Fantasy anymore.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Turambar said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ch13696 said:

"
    Really?  You're going to...   Wow, I don't even know what to say to that if you're stating that with a straight face.  I guess the world is barred from High Fantasy anymore. "
    Sure, it's an overdramatised statement but it relates to the Warhammer and Dune 2 thefts in context.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Turambar
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ch13696 said:

"
    Really?  You're going to...   Wow, I don't even know what to say to that if you're stating that with a straight face.  I guess the world is barred from High Fantasy anymore. "
    Sure, it's an overdramatised statement but it relates to the Warhammer and Dune 2 thefts in context. "
    No, it actually doesn't.  Claims of theft in relations to Warhammer, I roll my eyes at for the most part, but I can still accept as valid.  I wouldn't call Dune 2 a theft considering that game set the structure for how RTS games should be done much like how CoD4 set the structure for how FPS games should be done.  But Warcraft still came out relatively quickly after it and the similarities is pretty apparent.

But claiming WoW is stealing from Tolkien's works is absurd.  The Hobbit came out in the 30s.  Lord of the Rings came out in the 50s.  They were the foundation of the entire fantasy world we can think of now.  Our concept of High Fantasy, of Elves, dwarves, orc/ks, what have you came from the world this guy created.  Everyone lifted from that for the last 50 years, Games Workshop included.  It is essentially impossible to "steal" its thematic elements because of how absurdly ubiquitous those elements are in fantasy.  Hell, even Warhammer 40k  can be seen as lifting elements from Tolkien's works in the Silmarillions, the Imperium of Man lifting elements from the human kingdom of Numenor during the 2nd Age. 

Google my username.  I have a whole lot of love for his works.  But claiming anyone can be stealing his "thematic elements" at this point in time is fucking crazy.  So, are you fucking crazy?
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NickL

i kinda like its art style... too bad its made by gameloft

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dragonzord
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ch13696 said:

"
    And Warhammer stole from Starship Troopers/Aliens. So what?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Turambar said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Turambar said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ch13696 said:

"
    Sure, it's an overdramatised statement but it relates to the Warhammer and Dune 2 thefts in context. "
    No, it actually doesn't.  Claims of theft in relations to Warhammer, I roll my eyes at for the most part, but I can still accept as valid.  I wouldn't call Dune 2 a theft considering that game set the structure for how RTS games should be done much like how CoD4 set the structure for how FPS games should be done.  But Warcraft still came out relatively quickly after it and the similarities is pretty apparent.

But claiming WoW is stealing from Tolkien's works is absurd.  The Hobbit came out in the 30s.  Lord of the Rings came out in the 50s.  They were the foundation of the entire fantasy world we can think of now.  Our concept of High Fantasy, of Elves, dwarves, orc/ks, what have you came from the world this guy created.  Everyone lifted from that for the last 50 years, Games Workshop included.  It is essentially impossible to "steal" its thematic elements because of how absurdly ubiquitous those elements are in fantasy.  Hell, even Warhammer 40k  can be seen as lifting elements from Tolkien's works in the Silmarillions, the Imperium of Man lifting elements from the human kingdom of Numenor during the 2nd Age.   Google my username.  I have a whole lot of love for his works.  But claiming anyone can be stealing his "thematic elements" at this point in time is fucking crazy.  So, are you fucking crazy? "
    Your bias is blatantly obvious.  The facts were presented with regards to Dune 2 and you casually dismiss it.  I doubt you even played the game or games on DOS to know what you're talking about.  As I said it's a dramatised statement, but it wasn't the only point I made and yet you dismiss my real point (which I gave evidence towards) and then attack me on a point which I already agreed was more an effect on a point than a factual point itself.  The book was called The Silmarillon.
    Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By Gonmog

i dont care what they may have stole the concepts for (ignoring they fact they where going to build a Warhammer game in the first place Work Shop shut them down, dumbasses) the fact that this game looks just like starcraft, in EVERY way is a scam.  You guys went off topic to be honest. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6256d396c4133
    deactivated-6256d396c4133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Micro play must be hard as fuck on a cell phone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.