Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Void Ray rush / Counters

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Jaktajj

So - in an interview on Giantbomb - Dustin Browder says that in Starcraft, everything is considered fair play if it can be done and if it can be countered. So I was wondering what everyone thinks about the old Protoss/protoss or terran/protoss void ray rush (i'm talking from 2v2 perspectives).

Any player who Void Ray rushes and has the slightest ounce of skill seems pretty much unbeatable, here's how the tactic works in 2v2.

1. You wall off your bases with photon cannons or bunkers.
    2. You get one player to feed the other all his resources.
    3. You've got a lot of void rays out before anyone knows whats what.

Now, I'm not saying the tactic is unbeatable and uncounterable. But it's SO EASY to do compared to any other kind of rush in the game. If you rush players doing these tactics you crash against the walls of photon cannons (fair enough) - but once your rush fails there is no coming back from it.

If you don't rush and tech up, void rays will eat through your army/bases. It's an easy option for people to do this void ray rush thing, and it gets a little boring.

Have Blizzard ever commented on this or what are the community's thoughts?

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jaktajj

I was wondering as well - I play 2v2 as Terran with a Zerg partner - I'm aware this is the worst match up but does anyone know of any counters? Because we're out of ideas.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

2v2 is unbalanced with a Terran and a Protoss. 

Terrea can spam mules and feed all the money to Protoss, while the Protoss just Krono boosts tons of units outs.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hicks91

this is a broken ass tactic 
    the way ive got around it is by jumping reapers into their base (therefore passing the cannon wall) and hitting their eco 
    usually best to target protoss for this, a couple of reapers can take out the stargate feeder pylons pretty fast 
    after that theyre sitting ducks 

KinkyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By KinkyWizard

there is no comment from blizzard because it is a stupid question. seriously, would everyone stop with this bs. pro  starcraft  players played beta for years. you really think they made such obvious  oversight  and that you are the first after 6-7 years of development who thought of this. seriously?

so let me answer a question with a question.

why do you think "ghost" is in the game?
    another oversight?
    they put  completely useless  unit because obviously nobody  uses  nukes?
    why would  thelittleone , pro player, say something like "ghost is my favourite unite esp against  protoss" ?

99% of problems people have with game balance its their  incompetence . they  don't  know the counters. they  don't  realise every race is
    played differently (tell that to  zerg  players).

starcraft  2 is not a perfect game but it is not so unbalanced as people bitch all day long and  voidrays  are not  overpowered .

also. this is not easiest 2v2 rush. play against skilled zerg. in 16min they can have a base pumping 30 unit waves and more. thank god
    they are not in singleplayer as playable race. it would be less fun on the battlenet... I remember the first one...

and  bragging  about rush tactics? I know people who got into platinum with nothing but reaper rush or m/m/m rush. in six months all of this wont work.
    when kids go to next big thing or find something  shiny  and all that is left are  sc 1 and w3 pros and  wannabes . then try and void rush...

I just hope people will respond to your post and we finally settle this bs for good.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93

I could easily tell you if it was 1v1, but 2v2's are balanced at all and really, there are some tactics in 2v2's you'll never stop.

ShadowLords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadowLords

marine stimpacked can crush through void rays especially with medivacs, stalkers can kill off void rays if you also blink them they can last twice as long in the fight, and hydralisks can kill void rays.. the only problem youll have is if you let the player reach void rays max laser beam, without that you should be able to kill him off

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jaktajj
    @hicks91 said:
    " this is a broken ass tactic the way ive got around it is by jumping reapers into their base (therefore passing the cannon wall) and hitting their eco usually best to target protoss for this, a couple of reapers can take out the stargate feeder pylons pretty fast after that theyre sitting ducks  "
    Thank you dude, that is a great idea. I'm gonna experiment with some reaper rushes.

@Fragstoff said:
    " the only 2v2 map I've seen that the protoss/terran shared money thing really becomes a problem is on twilight fortress since the naturals are inside and is shared base.  games where the 2 bases are seperate this strat doesn't work nearly as well, since you can just double early push the played giving away minerals. "

You're absolutely right with this. We've lost pretty much every match on Twilight fortress when this tactic is pulled.

To explain again though the point I was trying to make since some (and by 'some' I mean kinkywizard) seem to have misunderstood. Void rays are fast, mobile, deadly and easily obtainable. But most of all (talking from a terran point of view), their doesn't seem to be a solid counter against massed void rays. Sure, you might get lucky but realistically - a decent player will outmaneuver you, and if they make it your base - it's pretty much game over. It seems unfair to me that protoss have access to this giant 10 ton hammer so easily.

Don't get me wrong, we've beaten so many guys who've attempted to mass Void Rays, it's not totally uncounterable like we've all said - but the SLIGHTEST mistake along the way and its game over. No other unit is like this. So first of all: it doesn't seem fair, second: it's lazy on the player's part and thirdly it makes it less fun.

Just sayin'. :)
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By thatfrood

Vikings are very strong against void rays. Just micro them back and forth.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @zombie2011 said:
    " 2v2 is unbalanced with a Terran and a Protoss.  Terrea can spam mules and feed all the money to Protoss, while the Protoss just Krono boosts tons of units outs. "
    Void rays are more of a gas oriented build than minerals.
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jaktajj
    @ThatFrood said:
    " Vikings are very strong against void rays. Just micro them back and forth. "
    Ooo yeah, that's tried to be the plan so far - if I discover the other guy is going void rays, try and mass vikings and meet them in the field before they roll into my base.

Also, what I wanted to say in my previous post to sum up - when I'm beaten by anything - zergling rushes, photon cannon rushes, straight up massing of anything else - anything. I feel 'Fair enough, I was outplayed there.' When I'm beaten by a Void Ray rush, It feels like the other guy cheated.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By zombie2011
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " 2v2 is unbalanced with a Terran and a Protoss.  Terrea can spam mules and feed all the money to Protoss, while the Protoss just Krono boosts tons of units outs. "
    Void rays are more of a gas oriented build than minerals. "
    I was talking about in general, not for Void Rays.
    devosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By devosion

This is why I always keep on scouting, and doing early harassment. If I know my opponent is going void rays i'll have a suitable anti-air counter before the attack. And if its a 2v2 match if the counter goes well you can easily crush a pair of opponents where one has no army after having their aerial units destroyed, and the other maybe having a burgeoning army and having to rely on micro to survive. And if you have to deal with cannons just find a way to position your forces out of their attacks and destroy the pylons first. 

cduce2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cduce2411

Honestly, Vikings and Marines destroy them, especially when you're using both against them. They are both cheaper than void rays. Missile Turrets near your mineral line also help.

A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow
    @cduce2411:  as a protoss player everything that you said works
    harmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By harmonic

If they choose to wall in then you really need to take the map, expand frequently and try to get as much vision as possible. As mentioned before, marines and vikings are great against void rays. The zerg player should be massing hydras and getting extra queens.

With map control, you should know when the VR's move out and where they are. Then engage them while they are not charged. The extra income from the expansions and a good army composition should crush the void rays.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jaktajj

Awesome, thank you for the advice guys. I've never tried a marine/viking composition. I will try that next time Twilight Fortress rolls around :D!

Majinken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Majinken

Having Turrets near your minerals is always a good idea, both for Rays and Phase Prism harassment as well as detection. Not much of anything will do you much good if they start cooking your Command Center and other strong targets. Nothing worse than taking it from the backdoor.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Hydras can chew up void rays pretty well.

KinkyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KinkyWizard

Well if you're talking just unit vs unit sure they are tough but ghost sap their shield to null and then you need 4 marines. every rush is punishment for a macro mistake. like not scouting, not  controlling  high ground, low on  gas , mass tier 2 units, avoiding units with special powers because you hate the micro...

I  don't  bitch about  vr  much ' cuase protoss  is dull  middle ground  and I hate to play with them. they are typical  rts  race and  vr  are only  truly awesome  unit they have. so they can keep their  vr ... just give it time... they take to much  gas . if you counter  vr  with minimum losses its game over for  protoss  anyway...

in month or two they'll start combining them with zealots, but in month or two people will learn how to play with  zerg . then you'll see void rush only against rookie  terran  player...

1v1 is not a problem. 4v4? most units are overpowered. and cheap.
    I seriously sugest playing mix team or attacking early. it does take time to mass them if you are building defence to... also learn how to use ghost and ravens well. there is a challange in game for them and you need gold to deal with vr...

gl hf

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.