Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

dark souls $7.50!

BakedBeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I own this on the xbox, was curious if this is a must have on the PC? I have heard the visuals look great and they added a few things. But if I started it on the 360 should I play that or go for the steam version. Thanks as usual.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The framerate in a couple of areas--and one in particular--is terrible on 360 and would be much better on a decent PC, but from what I've heard the PC version sort of has to be played with a gamepad to be a pleasant experience.

I finished it on 360 a few months ago, and as soon as I get a gaming PC I'll be finishing it there too. So you could do that!

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I couldn't get the fix mod thing to work on my friend's gaming laptop, and it ran like crap. I'd say just stick with the 360 version. I played through the whole thing (S-rank) there and it's generally good except for Blighttown.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the above poster said, a gamepad for this game is a must. It's a pretty shoddy console port, with very few graphical options that are changeable in the vanilla game, but there are mods out there that can change those settings if you want them. Also, I'm 100% sure you already know, but I feel like I should warn you regardless: This game is really difficult. If you don't have a lot of time on your hands to dedicate to getting good at this game, then don't even bother picking it up, because you won't enjoy it.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

If you install the mod DSfix (which is very easy to do), then Dark Souls on PC is the best version of the game. The PC version includes the excellent DLC, Artorias of the Abyss, so you're also getting that too for your $7.50.

These are some benefits of the PC version with DSfix:

• 60 FPS (consoles are locked at 30 FPS)
    • high resolution up to and above 1080p (consoles are limited to 720p)
    • customize advanced graphics settings like AA, AO, DOF, etc. (not possible on consoles)
    • remappable controls (not possible on consoles)
    • automatically skip intro movies (not possible on consoles)
    • visually customize your HUD, fonts, messages, etc. (not possible on consoles)

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@savage: Up to and above? :P

I'd say it depends if you like the game enough to play through it again. I had my fill on ps3, but I've heard good things about the PC version.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subyman: Sure! You can do whatever resolution you want. I'm running 1920 x 1200. You can also downsample, rendering the game at a higher resolution than your monitor can display, then rescaled to your displayable resolution to create an ultra-crisp image.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sadsadsad

@savage: and the optional autosave function (you´ll never corpse run again.)

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ezekiel
    @savage said:

Depends on who you are. For me this game is better played at 30 fps. Unlocking the framerate causes too many problems, like jittery panning in cutscenes, falling through floors when you slide down ladders and getting stuck at bonfires if you're not careful. I noticed at least one broken animation. At the long slope before Bed of Chaos. Also, ascending some slopes was more difficult with the framerate unlocked.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Jayzilla

Guys! I just bought it today. Gonna download it tonight. I am so stoked to play it. Can't wait!

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ezekiel

The console versions may have a longer multiplayer life than the PC version, since Games for Windows is being shut down next year. After that you may have to find a workaround to authenticate the game. It's worth keeping in mind if you already own the Xbox version.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Fair warning. Each person's experience may vary. I can only speak anecdotally, but I haven't seen issues like yours cited on forums very often and in my 400+ hours of playing on PC with DSfix, I've only had one glitch that might be attributable to DSfix (clipped through level geometry once in Blighttown). Personally, I've found 60 FPS to be far preferable to 30.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@savage said:

If you install the mod DSfix (which is very easy to do), then Dark Souls on PC is the best version of the game. The PC version includes the excellent DLC, Artorias of the Abyss, so you're also getting that too for your $7.50.

• high resolution up to and above 1080p (consoles are limited to 720p)
    • customize advanced graphics settings like AA, AO, DOF, etc. (not possible on consoles)
    • remappable controls (not possible on consoles)
    • automatically skip intro movies (not possible on consoles)
    • visually customize your HUD, fonts, messages, etc. (not possible on consoles)

Let's not forget one of the best features of DSfix, backup saves. Not because you might want to redo a section, but if you run into a hacker that totally fucks up your stats you can just retrieve an older save to restore your character.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stat hacking can be prevented/fixed by using DSVfix.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.