Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Region locking in Europe

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zamolxes

I always wondered how region locking works in Europe. Is all of Europe considered one region, or is it split in multiple regions for region locking?

Im asking because I live in Romania, a country that has a small buying player base (most people pirate) so console manufacturers don't support it, except Sony.

When it comes to PC though, all of the services have international support so we can buy games from Steam, Origin, etc just fine and also get tech support (and in the case of Steam also have local download servers and localised language through their community thing).

So my question is, what are these "international" versions of games? How do they differ from normal versions. I know it's the same content, but does it denote some different region locking? Maybe like a general version for areas that aren't supported normally? I should mention that Steam doesn't usually use that tag, but I see some games (and on PC retail) using it.

There are games that are region locked here so we don't get all of them, but we get the majority. Resident Evil Operation Racoon City is locked, but the other Resident Evils are available. Also, the games that use GFWL are locked too so I hope to God that Microsoft's new initiative for PC gaming doesnt include some new DRM bullcrap that will lock them out of my region again.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Europe is split into multiple regions, at least for PC.

Depends on the game. Some of them are just the normal version, some have censorship, some only let you play multiplayer with people with the same version.

Not releasing Operation Raccoon City there was a good thing, that game is terrible, even compared to modern RE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.