Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Remote Steam Is Go!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/valve_gives_steam_users_gift_remote_game_downloads

I have been waiting for this feature for-ev-er! Granted it's not really a big deal now that I'm not going to school every day, and I have an absurd internet connection from my house that can download a 15 GB game in about an hour, but still!

Unfortunately I can't test it right now because my desktop is being all wiggy and I'm running a RAM-check on it :(

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Ok, I can confirm working. It was a little finicky, and you have to go to your games list which is really out of the way and not obvious, but it does in fact go.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Up next should be letting you download a Steam game while you're playing a Steam game

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

I'll be all over this during the xmas sale when I'm out of town visiting family.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

@Lunar_Aura: I've done that. It's just...difficult...

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Th3_James

@Lunar_Aura: You have always been able to do this, simply launch the game than alt tab and unpause your downloads and tab back in.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By butano

Oh man, this is awesome! Bought Rayman Origins from work, hit remote download, and I'm assuming it'll be on my computer ready for me to play when I get home. This is pretty sweet!

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

I preordered Resident Evil: ORC, but without the ability to restart Steam I can't get it to show up on my game list so I can DL it. Otherwise this works fine.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Th3_James said:

@Lunar_Aura: You have always been able to do this, simply launch the game than alt tab and unpause your downloads and tab back in.

Yes, this. However it seems that you have to right click the game in the list and pause/unpause from there instead of pressing the button in the downloads section.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Th3_James

Downloading games has never been an issue for me as my connection if fast, even now if I am at work and something happens to release or I want to play it as soon as I get home I will use log me in to access my computer and just start my downloads that way.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

@Lunar_Aura said:

Up next should be letting you download a Steam game while you're playing a Steam game

I don't know, steam is really clunky and, as much as i like it, it is very hard to organize what games you own and what games you don't. Some features i would like to see are:

1. When searching i would like to know what a game is rated so i don't have to click on the game and get puled out from the search.
    2. I would like to see the search remember what page you were last on so i don't have to start from the first page every single time i click a page.
    3. I would like steam to mark the games I own on the search, or better yet hide the games i own.
    4. I would like steam to have better game filtering tools for my library, such as list by Rating, Genre, and Developer/Producer.
    5. I would like steam to have better custom list tools for my library, such as sub lists.

I realize steam has done a lot, but they have stagnant because no one is challenging them. I was excited for Origin at first because i thought it might be something that would push Steam to move forward, but it didn't, it didn't do anything better. It just copied, and half the stuff it copied it got wrong.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nintendoeats

@Dagbiker: I would like all of those features as well, especially the games organization stuff. The only reason I give them a pass on it is that most of that stuff is probably going to come with the 10-foot interface.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dagbiker

@nintendoeats said:

@Dagbiker: I would like all of those features as well, especially the games organization stuff. The only reason I give them a pass on it is that most of that stuff is probably going to come with the 10-foot interface.

Yah, i still buy games on steam, i just think there is a lot they need to do.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Nux

The future is now.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Nadril

@Dagbiker: As far as orginization goes, I just ended up making groups for each genre and organizing that way.

I.E:

http://i.imgur.com/RVFaC.png

proc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By proc

Anyone that leaves their desktop on all day should already have some sort of RDP capability configured. I guess this is for people with bad connections and don't feel like forwarding some ports.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nintendoeats

@Proc: Yeah, because I want to stream a video of my desktop to my phone >_>

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dagbiker

@Nadril said:

@Dagbiker: As far as orginization goes, I just ended up making groups for each genre and organizing that way.

I.E:

http://i.imgur.com/RVFaC.png

Thats what I did, but I have 178 games. so i have something like 28 different categories.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.