Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam charging me extra fees?

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eric_buck

Hey guys. So as far as I knew Steam was a free service. I have had Steam around and have bought a multitude of games via credit card. All was fine until Steam charged the credit card regularly with "Steam Service" or something like that? What is going on here? My account is currently suspended to prevent further charge for these fees. Any insight on this would be appreciated guys :)

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

shoundnt be, never has for me only charges when I buy games

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

I haven't personally heard of that happening, and generally you should only be charged during checkout when you're purchasing a game or DLC. The Giant Bomb forums are probably not the best place to get to the bottom of this.

Have you tried Steam support?

https://support.steampowered.com/?l=english

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iDarktread

@Eric_Buck: You should definitely contact Steam support about it. What country are you in? How much are you getting charged?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never seen anything like that. The only time Steam has ever charged me is when I buy a game, and it's always exactly what's shown on the receipt. It shows up on my statement as "15STEAMPOWERED.COMBELLEVUEWA." If you're getting random charges (that's not from an MMO or something, but I don't know of any that go through Steam for monthly payments,) I'd contact their support ASAP.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

That sounds like you're getting scammed by a company impersonating Steam. How exactly does the charge appear on your credit card statement?

Legit Steam transactions always show up like this for me:

POS Purchase mm/dd 00:00 STEAMPOWERED.COM BELLEVUE WA 718931 STEAMPOWERE #### ##
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Branthog

It sounds to me like someone is charging you for something and calling themselves "STEAM something or other" in the hope that you won't notice the charge. I would contact your credit card company and ask them where the charge *really* originates from.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eric_buck

@iDarktread: Like 15.00$ . I'm fairly sure it's a separate charge from the actual games. I'm in Australia (of course -__- )

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By knetic2341

@Eric_Buck said:

@iDarktread: Like 15.00$ . I'm fairly sure it's a separate charge from the actual games. I'm in Australia (of course -__- )

$15 fits with an MMO, so an MMO angle sounds right. Have you purchased an MMO from steam such as Rift or any others?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Sounds strange, maybe it's an MMO like other people have suggested.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By fripplebubby

Every time you buy a game from Steam, they charge you for it. Like, in real bucks.

No but seriously check if the charge on your card matches the ones posted above. If not, it's probably some sort of scam. If so, contact Steam support.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Matfei90

@Knetic2341 said:

@Eric_Buck said:

$15 fits with an MMO, so an MMO angle sounds right. Have you purchased an MMO from steam such as Rift or any others?

If it's an MMO then the operator, not Steam, will charge. NCsoft/Trion, etc

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By knetic2341

@Matfei90 said:

@Knetic2341 said:

@Eric_Buck said:

I just assumed it would charge through Steam, and go to the publisher, sort-of like a unnecessary middleman.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Matfei90

@Knetic2341 said:

@Matfei90 said:

@Knetic2341 said:

@Eric_Buck said:

I just assumed it would charge through Steam, and go to the publisher, sort-of like a unnecessary middleman.

Nope. When you buy an MMO on Steam, what you're effectively doing is purchasing a product key. You then take that key and sign up as if you bought a retail edition.

Everything after that is handled outside of Steam, you just launch the game through the steam client, or even avoid steam altogether if the game uses an external launcher (NCsoft titles).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.