Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Your thoughts on the Steam controller?

• 60 results
    Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jorbit

I think Valve has a good track record for high quality stuff, and doing things that make sense, so I'm very interested in trying it. I'm not going to sit behind a screen and say it "looks like trash" because it doesn't look like what I already use, I'll just try it when I can get my hands on one.

That said, I really want a PC controller that allows me to play PC games (including RTS or non-controller games) on a livingroom TV. I don't want to have a keyboard on my lap and a mouse on the sofa cushion. If they can make that work then that would be amazing.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By mikey87144

If there one thing I learned from some recent console releases it's that designing a controller is hard work. You can get a nice idea and a basic setup but it's the little details that make a controller good. Amazon and the Ouya had terrible controllers. I will wait and see before I judge yay or nay.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By EVO

Looks like shit, but I'd like to get my hands on one.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Valve has a good track record for high quality stuffsoftware...

Hardware is an entirely different thing.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jorbit

@sinusoidal: You missed the point. They know quality and they also don't do things until they get it right. If they couldn't handle hardware then they would not have even attempted it. There's a reason this thing keeps going through revisions.

They have an eye for quality which goes a long way.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Sinusoidal

@sinusoidal: You missed the point. They know quality and they also don't do things until they get it right. If they couldn't handle hardware then they would not have even attempted it. There's a reason this thing keeps going through revisions.

They have an eye for quality which goes a long way.

Yes, it does, but you also missed my point. Valve is a company of software engineers. They've never made hardware before. It's like trusting Apple to make a bicycle.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: I've made your point personally and I've read it quite a bit before you posted it.

It doesn't really have anything to do with what I said though.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Imagine the gifs if this fails miserably after all the hype.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a cool idea.

Most importantly, this is the first time since the wiimote that I can recall a company trying to move forward with controller development, in lieu of just doing the snes controller over again.

I dunno, maybe don't call something dumb till you try it? I mean they're going for something totally new that will change the way you play games. If it makes playing Civ comfortable on a couch then I'm all for it, at least.

Not that I actually plan on playing games anywhere else than my desk any time soon...

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By amafi

@belegorm said:

I think it's a cool idea.

Most importantly, this is the first time since the wiimote that I can recall a company trying to move forward with controller development, in lieu of just doing the snes controller over again.

I dunno, maybe don't call something dumb till you try it? I mean they're going for something totally new that will change the way you play games. If it makes playing Civ comfortable on a couch then I'm all for it, at least.

Not that I actually plan on playing games anywhere else than my desk any time soon...

Civ being comfortable on the couch isn't dependant on the controller you're using. The UI elements won't be readable unless you have a REALLY big TV, sit really close to it, or run the game at like 480x640.

And trying something new worked for nintendo because their whole platform was built around that. Every game they made was made with those controls in mind and most 3rd party ones were too. Valve doesn't do first party outside of Dota (which will never work with a controller) and every game out there with existing controller support is designed around a completely different controller layout, which makes experimentation and trying new shit much less appealing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.