Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Is this worth getting?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

So, when it was around the time of its release, I was pretty excited for it, but because I felt that it may just be too similar an experience, just with improvements to the first, I decided not to get it. That's the only reason I didn't get it, and while I'd imagine it's a fantastic experience, I just thought if I already had the first, what's the point in getting the second? I'm most likely wrong, so my topic question is kind of pointless. I'm just wondering, how much different is it?

I've also felt this way about Little Big Planet 2, well, except for the fact that I wasn't entirely excited for that game, but I imagine it's a good experience like the first. I never beat that though because it was a little overwhelming with all of its content. Anyways, I am not a huge fan, like many, of the Mario games, but there was just something about Galaxy that made me happy, and made me really enjoy my time with it all the way through; probably because it had to do with space. I'm just wondering, should I get it at some point?

I know the answer is probably yes, but I'm really just wondering why, other than it being a fantastic game. Is it just Super Mario Galaxy 1.5? Or, however that goes. I know the game's probably great, so it's weird I should even ask, but I still want to know.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By golguin

Yes. The world design is crazier than the first, there are more of them, and they're more challenging.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

It basically is Super Mario Galaxy 1.5, but that doesn't mean it's not worth playing. The courses by all means are a lot better. There's also a little more variety in the kinda stuff they have you doing versus the first game.

I'd get it absolutely.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It is more of the first game, but the level design gets a lot crazier and the difficulty gets harder much sooner. I certainly liked what I played.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

It's pretty much Super Mario Galaxy 1.5 but it's still very much worth playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I think it's great. It is very similar to the first but some of the levels especially the bonus stars are pretty awesome.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By awadnin

In my opinion, I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best 3D Mario. And the level design in this game is a way better than the original one.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePaleKing

I also have a question. Having not the played the first one, will I be able to follow the story in 2?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

it's the best game of this generation so yes!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By big_jon

Yes.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Hizang

@NTM: Yes.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Improved level design over the original, the young designers had their wicked way with this one.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Otacon

It's definitely super mario galaxy but it's level designs are still brilliant and more challenging. I'm guessing it's been a while since you played the first now so it may feel fresh again. Get it!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.