Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Land

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 21, 1989

Princess Daisy of Sarasaland has been kidnapped by the evil alien Tatanga and it's up to Mario to rescue her in this handheld platformer (and launch title) for the original Game Boy.

I am super suspicious of this game's creation

akaveros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By akaveros

No idea why I'm chasing this down now, but I am certain this game was not created as a Mario game. I think they were developing an un-mario-related platformer and then added the Mario sprite at the last minute. But nobody has ever admitted to it publicly.

Just think about it. Nothing else makes any sense in the Mario universe. And the only other time a Mario game was so non-Mario was Mario 2, which was in fact a reskinned version of an unrelated japanese game.

The vehicles, the super ball, the bosses, it's not even the same princess. It doesn't bother anyone else that Mario is suddenly freeing an unrelated princess? Are we just supposed to believe that Mario is some swarthy mustachioed princess playa??

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

To answer your last question: Yes. Yes, we are.

Now never speak of this again. *shifty eyes*

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I definitely see what you're getting at, I've thought that myself too. Consider how Mario appears to travel the world during the game - Asia, Chile, Egypt; I'm fairly certain Mario never travels to places that resemble the real world in other games. Also, I didn't realise that this was Daisy's first appearance, which definitely does lend credence to the argument.

Having said that though, the game was created by Gunpei Yokoi, rather than Miyamoto; so, it's probably more of a case of a sequel from a different developer with different ideas (consider the Devil May Cry reboot).

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

Oh, "super suspicious", nice one.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Superkenon

The time has come to return to Sarasaland.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.