Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Maker

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 11, 2015

This Nintendo Wii U game lets players make their own levels based on four different Super Mario Bros. games, with a deep level of customization and built-in level sharing systems to let other players enjoy their work.

Credit Where Credit's Due: The Giant Bomb Level 2

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By rjpelonia

[UPDATE]: You can now find the annotated version for the first Giant Bomb Level over here.

Remember Giant Bomb Makes Mario - Part 02? That was a fun time. And while Dan was at the helm forming the general structure and layout of the stage, it was the Giant Bomb Community that provided many ideas and obstacles that made this level what it is.

Well I recreated the entire level as images and using @szlifier's amazing chat archival system from his website qlcrew.com, I pulled just about every suggestion that was used in the making of the level and pasted them all over it providing credit where credit's due.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You can view the full-size versions by clicking here and here. If you'd also like to view the levels without the suggestions, those can be found here and here.

Now since at times Jeff would either summarize the chat suggestion or not read the usernames, a few of these I had to either assume was the one he read from or use the first suggestion I saw when many were suggesting the same thing. There are also two suggestions ("bob-ombs over police state" and "BOWSER") that I was not able to see in the chat archive which I'm not sure if it was either due to a bug in the chat (the chat archive pauses for about five minutes for some reason) or my own inability as the chat just scrolled way too fast. If you happen to know the user or are knowingly the user that gave either suggestion, let me know so I can update the image.

Huge thanks to @jeff, @danryckert, @drewbert, @unastrike, @patrickklepek, @szlifier, @helluva, @evilkatarn, @soapy86, @ceraneon, @karwowski, @aiasdair, @dfl017, @zeld, @sunspark, @agemyth, @eddiemunstr, @alavapenguin, @rirse, @kibles, @nameless2000, @charoncaori, @raxahax, @jeremyspittle, @mynameisgabriel, @mikers, @theblue, @ketchupp, @steven, @dezinus, @crispy, @garbageforlunch, @wikmalm, @ketchupman36, @deusoma, @demigodraven, @sleeky3k, @frenchfriedfool, @moonwalksa, @alternidev, @viqor, @lysandus, @yami4ct, @edreedfan20, @armosis, @rocketbrah, @brainboy, @hemirobo, and the rest of the Giant Bomb Community for making all of this possible and for making a fun game even more fun.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Pretty cool :) Have you made one for the first Giant Bomb level?

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty cool :) Have you made one for the first Giant Bomb level?

Thanks! And not yet. I worked on this one on and off when I had the spare time and I'll have to do the same for the first level.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This right here? This is pretty dope. Good job!

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#4 riostarwind  Moderator

This is very impressive. Who knew a bunch of people yelling in chat would lead to a set of two good levels.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's cool.

I'm sorry about the missing chunk of the archive. The power went down in my town and I lost internet connection on both DSL and 3G. I already did the recording on two PCs for redundancy, but didn't expect that to happen.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier: That's alright. Definitely not your fault at all. And seriously, thanks for making and running qlcrew.com. Couldn't have done this without you.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is really cool. I'd love to see the first level and any future ones but I imagine it's a lot of work.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@szlifier: That's alright. Definitely not your fault at all. And seriously, thanks for making and running qlcrew.com. Couldn't have done this without you.

Thanks! Awesome use of this thing I made. Stuff like this keeps me going.

P.S. I like how you caught the blue username bug that's been there for a day or two.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Really well done! I'm glad you specified usernames too, as it sucks how Dan kept receiving credit elsewhere for some of the level's most distinctive obstacles, like having to stand on a POW block to reach the door. I think it's poor form on @jefffor not calling out usernames, too; if he's able to read out chat suggestions in the first place then what's wrong with also calling out the user who made the suggestion.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rjpelonia

@49th said:

That is really cool. I'd love to see the first level and any future ones but I imagine it's a lot of work.

Thanks! It's a bit of work, but making this one definitely got easier as I kept working on it. The first level shouldn't take as long as this one did and I will definitely make them for any and all future Giant Bomb Makes Mario levels.

@szlifier said:

P.S. I like how you caught the blue username bug that's been there for a day or two.

I was wondering about that. Wasn't sure if that was just some changes you were making on your end or something. Guess I just got lucky(?) on the day I decided to pull from the chat archive.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@yummylee said:

Really well done! I'm glad you specified usernames too, as it sucks how Dan kept receiving credit elsewhere for some of the level's most distinctive obstacles, like having to stand on a POW block to reach the door. I think it's poor form on @jeff for not calling out usernames, too; if he's able to read out chat suggestions in the first place then what's wrong with also calling out the user who made the suggestion.

Imagine going to a shopping mall the week before Christmas, and identifying all the different gifts you see people carrying. Good luck noting even a tenth of them, never mind who was carrying it. That is what it is like trying to follow the chat during one of these things.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@pkmnfrk: That's a poor comparison, because again the chat is clearly intelligible enough for him read the suggestions, so he should be able to read the username that comes with it. Back when they had interns monitoring the chat they'd always specify who was asking the question.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

This is fantastic, nice work

Nameless2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nameless2000

My brother was playing this level and died to my conveyor belt and I felt a great sense of pride.

Good job with the images.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great, nice job!

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was bitterly disappointed to see what I always believed to be the result of my suggestion ("A bit where you have to go left") attributed to someone else (@jeremyspittle). As it turns out, no fewer than ten people suggested some variation on the same idea (see spoiler block), and I was the last. I guess it wasn't a particularly original thought after all.

@CairnsyTheBeard9m1slets have some verticality in the level design. Make the level double back on itself instead of just left to right.
    @slpls13m56smake an upper level that forces you to go left
    @Capshot14m4sHave an extended sequence moving to the left.
    @CByrne14m22sgo left
    @alexthebehemoth14m26sTake it left with some rising and lowering platforms towards the first pipe
    @gravytrain14m47srequire the player to go back to the left after they go up here, then back down and around (if you can create a small airship up in the air)
    @GooseMunch15m1sMake it so that you have to head back left
    @JeremySpittle16m45sMIX IT UP, make the player go left
    @endoworks16m47sSplit the level and go left in the air
    @JamesM21m3sA bit where you have to go left.
    rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamesm: Yeah, unfortunately with a few of the suggestions it was difficult to exactly tell which one Jeff read from, especially in the "go left" suggestion as Jeff waited until the subworld to mention it and didn't provide the exact wording (which to be fair, can't really ask him to remember every single chat message). It was mostly a best guess on my part to what I feel he saw during the times he was looking at the chat, but it's completely possible it could've been yours or any other of those suggestions he read from. And hey, while it maybe was the most "original", it was still a good suggestion and you did think of it. Really, it's difficult to have a completely original idea in a room of hundreds.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamesm: It happens, honestly I'm surprised Jeff is able to read anything in the wall of spam. I still want to see a maze that abuses the use of vines though.

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JamesM

I should clarify: when I said "bitterly disappointed" I was exaggerating for dramatic effect. I don't really mind. I've just been telling my friends what an important INTERNET INFLUENCER I am, is all.

ketchupman36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is really neat to see, thanks for doing this!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.