Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

Mario Odyssey controller set up?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I believe there are different controller set ups for Odyssey and I'm wondering what people are using. I played Zelda with the Pro Controller as that's what I felt most comfortable using, but I'm not sure how the Pro Controller is going to work with the motion controls of Odyssey.

What controller set up are you guys using for the game?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Im gonna try and use the pro controller until I cant anymore. Not gonna lie, I thought there was some kinda motion support in the controller...seems like the "pro" controller of a console should have all of the features.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@xanadu said:

Im gonna try and use the pro controller until I cant anymore. Not gonna lie, I thought there was some kinda motion support in the controller...seems like the "pro" controller of a console should have all of the features.

The pro controller does have motion tracking.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By golguin

@ajamafalous said:
    @xanadu said:

The pro controller does have motion tracking.

Yes. After some testing I can confirm that every motion control move from the Basic Actions Menu List can be done with the Pro Controller.

The Pro Controller is the way to go. I don't know if there are going to be any capture motion controls that I can't do with the Pro, but it's super easy and comfortable to do the motion controls with the Pro Controller.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Breath of the Wild with the regular joycon grip so I'm hoping I can just play it like that. I don't like holding them individually so I'm hoping that some of those motion controls don't make it too aggravating to use it with the joycon grip.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I started playing with the Joy-Con this morning, but I'll try the pro controller once I get home from work. Gotta say though, that playing in handheld mode on the morning train felt restricting. I didn't want to flail the thing around just to do motion controls for the spin cap throw or aiming the cap vertically. Hopefully they'll patch some button controls in.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I mostly play the Switch in handheld mode so hopefully they will patch in some better accomodation on for that

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

So far just playing it docked with a pro controller which works well. I can't really imagine using each joycon independently

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

I started playing with the Joy-Con this morning, but I'll try the pro controller once I get home from work. Gotta say though, that playing in handheld mode on the morning train felt restricting. I didn't want to flail the thing around just to do motion controls for the spin cap throw or aiming the cap vertically. Hopefully they'll patch some button controls in.

I'm not aware of the vertical aiming action (yet) but everything else seems to work fine in stock handheld mode with motion controls disabled in the Options menu. The only actions still requiring motion control appear to be a very situational circle hat throw and an optional homing hat throw that modifies your stock throw. Other captured characters and abilities appear to use motion as an enhancement, so your neck might stretch longer or throw might travel further, but unless a specific puzzle requires those modifications you're good. I still wish that Nintendo had given us an option to map those actions to the several unused button mappings on the controllers, but I don't think they'll keep me from enjoying the game.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started with the pro controller, worked fine, although I think the idea of jolting the controller left or right is sort of weird when you're holding it with both hands. Switched to split joycons with grips, gotta say I'm actually really liking it. I'm like 5 hours in and the motion controls have not misread an input ONCE. Actually not bothering me at all. I think the hat motion stuff is good, in particular being able to redirect it in various ways after an initial throw, my only real complaint is that some of the captures require motion that doesn't click with me (that stretchy guy in the steam gardens). Recommend giving split joycons a go!

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the first 4 hours with the joy-con set up and the last 2 in handheld mode. I think I actually prefer the dual joy-cons. I can do the long-jump to hat-jump combo easily and it's actually really intuitive to follow up my Y hat throws with a small flick to get that homing attack. I think it's because the last Mario game I played was Galaxy 2 with the nunchuck/Wiimote combo.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I started playing with the joycons because that's what they heavily encourage you to do, but I'm thinking I'll try it with the Pro controller next time I turn it on. I've only used the pro controller with Mario Kart and Stardew Valley since I bought the thing so I want to play more games with it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing undocked makes me afraid I'm going to accidentally chuck my switch against a wall with a gesture.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
    deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Having played over 5 hours non-stop with the Pro Controller, I decided to switch to dual Joy-Cons with straps which ended up working better for me as they weigh much less and therefore don't strain my wrists as much. That said, I do wish there was an option to actually turn off all motion controls and use buttons for everything. Usual Nintendo things I guess. Game is good.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to take Nintendo's word for it and use separated Joy-cons. Seems to work well.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Ravelle

I either use handheld mode, docked mode with the joycon grip. No matter what game I'm very uncomfortable when having two loose tiny things in my hands.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been using the pro controller and trying to get use to the odd motion gestures. A lot of the times flicking the controller up either throws the hat like normal, or does the spin throw, it's a bit random. It's the same deal when shaking the controller to the right or left. So yeah I'm not a huge fan of the motion controls, they feel no better than Wii motion. I guess Oculus Touch controllers spoiled me. Fun game though.

Avatar image for synthesis_landale
    synthesis_landale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing EVERY Switch game with just the Joycons. No extra sliders, no Joycon Grip, just bare assed Joycons and I love it. I guess I'm a garbage person. ^_^

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing it handheld so far with the joycons on the Switch. I'm gonna try them detached and dock mode next time i boot it up.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: All of the annoying motion control stuff has a button input that will also do it, except the up hat but I've not used that once yet. I'm at New Donk city now and haven't felt inhibited by the motion controls being there. I intend to never plug my switch into the dock to play so I hope they don't start double downing in on these motion controls in future games.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Capum15

I've been using only regular detached Joycons and have had almost zero issues. Occasionally I'll throw the hat forward when I try to make it spin around, but that's basically it, and I've just reached New Donk City and have done the first few missions.

I tend to have my right arm resting on a leg and my left arm just dangling limp because I'm a lazy bastard, but I'll bring it up for the circle hat move. I actually like the controller flick move that makes the hat homing. I don't even think about it.

deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@picky_bugger: maybe a stupid question, but how do you throw the hat in a circle with buttons not motion controls?

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reputatsioon: If you twirl the stick he'll start spinning on the spot, if you chuck the hat then it'll spin. You can do it before he starts spinning as well. Tbh as much as I hate motion controls and wish they weren't in the switch at all I've found it easier doing to spin by just moving the console.

deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@picky_bugger: thanks. Gotta say that's really not very convenient seeing they have mapped it to a kind of a combo instead of a direct mapping considering the motion is very simple, yet disruptive with the joy-cons attached to the system in handheld mode. Guess I'll continue to play this game docked only with detached joy-cons.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reputatsioon: Yeah, I don't think they'd ever map it to a direct button as it'd be too easy to do and then no one would ever use the motion (I cannot understand their obsession with motion controls). As I think I said, for me this is a handheld game on a handheld console and I've hand no real problem with the motion controls but it's still a bummer that they are there.

ricobanderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Detached joy-cons is my preferred choice but I'm probably in the minority. Since the Wii I like being able to play games with my hands in whatever position I please, it's really relaxing.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Here is a thing I noticed that isn't in the help text: You can climb vines and poles faster by using the Y button, not just shaking.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know how to throw your hat downward with a pro controller? the motion doesn't work for me. Only with detached joycons.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Nintendo intends for you to play the game with the Joycons and there are some moves that are significantly more difficult to pull off with anything other than separated Joycons. However, you can pull off most things with the Pro controller, the Joycons in the thingy that makes them look more like a controller, or in handheld mode. Thus far, I haven't had any trouble doing anything that I need to do. I'm playing mostly with a Pro controller.

This game is already damn near perfect, if Nintendo would use every button on the controller it would make it even better. I don't need two jump buttons, two hat-throw buttons, two center camera buttons, and two butt-stomp buttons. That's four buttons that could be used for something else.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been playing with the Pro Controller and maybe its just me but the accuracy/input lag is killing me. I keep running off ledges cause Mario won't run in a straight line at the most inopportune times. It doesn't help the camera keeps wanting to rotate cinematically during these sections so I am fighting the camera at the same time. I spent nearly an hour on one section of the Food world trying to get through a platform section and lost all love I had for this game. Maybe I'm just getting old or have grown out of the platforming genre.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro Controller, unless I'm in handheld mode, but that's really rare.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@puchiko said:

I have been playing with the Pro Controller and maybe its just me but the accuracy/input lag is killing me. I keep running off ledges cause Mario won't run in a straight line at the most inopportune times. It doesn't help the camera keeps wanting to rotate cinematically during these sections so I am fighting the camera at the same time. I spent nearly an hour on one section of the Food world trying to get through a platform section and lost all love I had for this game. Maybe I'm just getting old or have grown out of the platforming genre.

I played the whole game with the pro controller, got every moon over the course of 45 hours, and never had any issues like the ones you're describing. I've found the Pro Controller to be a responsive, comfortable, and overall fantastic controller. It's also great that it has nearly 10x the battery life of a Dualshock 4.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Puchiko

Maybe mines defective then. When I push forward on the controller Mario jogs in place then finally moves. This makes walking on narrow ledges nearly impossible. When I throw my hat its always not in the direction I intended. I have never gotten the triple or double jump to work ever. When I throw the hat out to jump on it, Mario 9/10 times jumps just to the left/right of it.

I didn't have these issues with Zelda other than some input lag as well.

@ll_exile_ll said:
    @puchiko said:

I played the whole game with the pro controller, got every moon over the course of 45 hours, and never had any issues like the ones you're describing. I've found the Pro Controller to be a responsive, comfortable, and overall fantastic controller. It's also great that it has nearly 10x the battery life of a Dualshock 4.

clutch414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Split Joycons. Plays great.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completed the game nunchuck-style. I think I like the detached Joycons more than most, but it really worked nicely for Odyssey.

I imagine the Pro Controller would work just fine. There were very few, if any, situations where I felt like I needed to use motion controls.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I've been playing entirely in handheld mode and haven't had any issues yet - I'm at about 400 moons.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By xshinobi

I'm using the pro controller but I'm getting sick of Nintendo forcing and shoehorning motion controls into every one of their games. It seriously has me worried for Metroid.

While I think that Mario is excellent and charming, the motion controls are kinda taking me out of the experience and the worst part is that there are buttons that go totally unused while having motion controls forced on you. I don't need two buttons for every action Nintendo, I would much have preferred if every button on the controller was utilized. I wish that I could press the attack twice to have it home onto enemies as opposed to having to shake the dumb controller.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was enjoying it with my DS4 until I found out you can find a few moons just by standing over them and feeling the rumble. You have to turn that off using the DS4 because motion controls won't be deactivated which could be a bug with the adapter and if you use rumble then it's so sensitive it'll activate motion controls and go crazy. I also found out quickly you can shake the joycons to for example fly faster with the bullet bill so I had to give in and continue using the joycons. Sucked a bit for me but I get used to it.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I’ve been playing in with the split joycons and for the most part it’s been a blast. The one thing I need to get used to is throwing Cappy and then diving on him to get a jump and then perform the same action again.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I played the whole thing with split Joycons. I like the feeling of having them separate but I don't think that the analog sticks on the Switch are great. At the same time, I don't want to pay out the ass for the pro controller just for some better sticks.

Forzafan86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mainly play in handheld mode.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I'm playing handheld and getting used to it, but it's obvious that this game was intended for motion controls. It's a small bummer, but still a bummer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.