Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

Odyssey spoiler discussion

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

I know it's only been a few days since the game came out but I know there's already a lot of people who have finished the main story already. I didn't see any thread to discuss spoiler material specifically so I decided to make this thread.

I guess to start off I have a lot of questions about the ending escape sequence. Like why did the cave they were in start to collapse? How did they know they had to go to some big moon cube and destroy it to get to some sort of amp to then fly away from?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yo.

Mario fights a fucking dragon. Not a cartoon dragon, a grimdark-looking LotR wannabe dragon. In weird grimdark ruins with JRPGesque swords every where. wut.

Nintendo no longer give any fucks and it is marvelous. It's like someone turned around to them and said "well, we have all these established rules for these individual series, but... fuck 'em?"

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@katpottz said:

How did they know they had to go to some big moon cube and destroy it to get to some sort of amp to then fly away from?

Because the song told them so.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Dragon fight was fucking rad and completely caught me off guard.

The ending sequence might be my moment of the year. I activated it completely on accident as well. Was just looking around while Peach freaked out and Bowser was unconcious, was throwing my hat for funzies...hit Bowser and my eyes WIDENED.

This game is fucking amazing.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

The song&sequence at the end reminded me of a mid-2000s Sonic game. Mario has truly come full circle, that's all I'll say

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Mario Odyssey is a bundle of joy, enough said! :D

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

if you care about the details of a mario plot...you're fucked. not what marios about.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtb08: A) It's not up to you to decide what people care about
    B) Spoilers don't have to always be plot related. In Odyssey's case there are a lot of moments that are super neat and would lessened if spoiled. That's what this topic is about.
    C) Don't be a jerk man, come on. Rule #1 around these parts.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@takayamasama: I am sorry if I was a jerk, was speaking for people unfoundedly. I do suspect that Nintendo doesn't put much if any stock into the details of its plot, and only activates the best elements of its history as this ultimate fan service. I beat the game and absolutely loved every moment of it, and am currently going after every moon. I wouldn't spoil some of these awesome moments for anyone until at least after GOTY talks are done. Thanks for checking me. Mario story still doesnt matter IMO though, interested to hear other opinions though.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Finished the dark side and darker side of the moon today...

I'm not too sure about those. The first one is just an endurance test against bosses that you've already beaten. It's pretty boring and you need to replay the whole thing everytime you fail.

The second one is much better, with interesting takes on platforming mechanics you've seen already. I would've loved the thing if it had not been a ten minutes thing that you need to restart if you do just one mistake. I don't think having no checkpoints it's a great way to make something difficult, it just makes it tedious.

Otherwise I'm absolutely loving everything else. I still have ton of moons to find and I adore exploring those worlds.

Totallywizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fear_the_booboo: I was waiting for someone to bring this up. I honestly can't stand these sections. It's not the difficulty so much as the tedium of it all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Don't know if I got the patience or skill to get every moon but I'm going to try my damnedest because this game is just pure joy to play.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think the New Donk City festival was a better moment, but I loved everything about the ending.

I'm confused about the Wedding Band thing though. I thought it had magic to bind two people forever. When it disappeared I got super confused. Did Peach absorb the power? Does it not work since she was already bound to Bowser and Mario forever anyways? Is she bound to Tiara forever instead? I thought it was such a big plot point and I guess I over thought it.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the ending sequence, but is it just me, or was Mario kind of a creep at the end there? Really made me rethink the established Mario lore.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I just stumbled upon the fact that there is a Darker Side Kingdom. I was about 30 seconds into a YouTube video showing it, but then I decided to just play it myself. How do you unlock it? I assume just collect more moons? I just finished the game, and the Odyssey said it needed about 30-ish more moons, so maybe that's all I need?

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really disliked the design of those rabbits. I found them to be grotesque and cheesy. I didn't care for the actual mechanics of the boss fights either.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#17 isomeri  Online

I just stumbled upon the fact that there is a Darker Side Kingdom. I was about 30 seconds into a YouTube video showing it, but then I decided to just play it myself. How do you unlock it? I assume just collect more moons? I just finished the game, and the Odyssey said it needed about 30-ish more moons, so maybe that's all I need?

250 moons gets you to the Dark Side Kingdom so my guess is that the Darker Side unlocks after 500.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MagnetPhonics

I got the credits yesterday and have been starting on the post-ending material today. Let me preface the following criticism by stating that Mario Odyssey is a great game* and an achievement for the ages...

That said, I dare anyone to name anything in a Nintendo game, on any platform, that controls as badly and is as poorly implemented as the circular 2d platforms.

*aside from the dozens of death in the food kingdom where I lost Podoboo form due to not landing in boiling hot liquid and then Mario died because it was in fact boiling hot liquid

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By handlas

I was a little disappointed when I finished the story mode. Game seemed rather short and suuuuper easy. But now I've started the post-story stuff and ... wow... much more difficult moons to get. I find it a lot more fun.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said, I dare anyone to name anything in a Nintendo game, on any platform, that controls as badly and is as poorly implemented as the circular 2d platforms.

Agreed. Would have much preferred if the POV tracked Mario (or go the other way, and require you to always move the stick in the specific direction?), because letting go of the stick means you'll probably start ducking or going the wrong way as soon as you try to move again.

I just finished 100% (absolutely *everything*) today. Loved the game from start to finish, and it's kind of crazy to me how many moons they put in and how many of them are post-game. I do wonder if they're planning any DLC kingdoms, since my globe has room for one more pip...

Did you know the Sphynx in Darker Side has a special quiz if you've talked to him in other kingdoms (at least, I think that is the condition; might need to do the Sphynx-spotting moons also?). I expect that people who jumped right into Darker Side didn't get that :)

So, rabbits coming from the moon is some kind of trope in Japanese fiction, right (at least, I seem to recall this being behind Sailor Moon being named Usagi)? Meaning the eventual trip to the moon is kinda foreshadowed? I thought it was an interesting decision to use such outsider characters for the "henchmen". Bowser's Kingdom was thematically amazing, but overall I was disappointed we didn't see more of Bowser's cronies in the game (was kinda hoping to see Magikoopa or Bowser Jr. during the post-game...)

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online
    @magnetphonics said:

I've only seen those once thus far, and they were definitely very bad. I died several times just trying to figure out how they worked, which was super inconvenient because I had to play through quite a bit just to get to them.

That said...that dragon fight was so dope and totally unexpected. I know a lot of people are talking about Wolfenstein 2 being a lock for moment of the year (I haven't played it), but that at least deserves a mention.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished the story yesterday and am now getting as many moons as possible.

I don't think I can get all those race, volleyball and rope skipping challenges.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris said:

So, rabbits coming from the moon is some kind of trope in Japanese fiction, right (at least, I seem to recall this being behind Sailor Moon being named Usagi)? Meaning the eventual trip to the moon is kinda foreshadowed? I thought it was an interesting decision to use such outsider characters for the "henchmen". Bowser's Kingdom was thematically amazing, but overall I was disappointed we didn't see more of Bowser's cronies in the game (was kinda hoping to see Magikoopa or Bowser Jr. during the post-game...)

I wasn't surprised in the slightest by the trip to the moon, but no because of the rabbits. The thing is huge in the sky in every kingdom, and it's always just sitting there, a fully rendered 3D model, on the map screen. Also, the game has power moons instead of power stars. I guessed from the start that the moon would be a kingdom.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Quantris

@ravelle: The race ones really aren't too bad. Some crazy skill required to top leaderboards but getting the moons is actually pretty forgiving because the AI doesn't really follow an optimal route. If you can get to 50 in the jump rope or volleyball then you're probably on track to get them, as it stays at the same speed from there. I found the volleyball one most annoying.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Surprised at the excitement people have of Mario fighting a dragon. To be fair i have never completed a Mario game before (mostly PC gamer, also suck at platformers), so I never felt the surprise of a mold being broken.

I can at least appreciate the new donk city song as a celebration of Mario, or capturing Bowser as the logical final escalation. Those would be the moments I would nominate.

But the dragon comes in at the 2nd time Mario gets knocked off course (in the middle of all those 2nd fights with the rabbits, and upon seeing enough world's to realize each one literally had the same storyline--being just a bit too late), at this point I am more annoyed at the recycling/repetition than anything. The fight itself wasn't that interesting mechanically (nor were any of the other rabbits the 2nd time around), and I only failed a couple times because Cappy was hard to aim in rapid succession (handheld mode).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.