Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

Screw the Jump Rope Challenge

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By holycrapitsadam

Man I’ve been trying for multiple days to complete the jump rope challenge to get the last moon in the Metro Kingdom and i’ve been unable to do it. I’ve tried jumping normally, making smaller jumps, using the scooter, listening and jumping when the girl say “hey”, jumping when the rope hits the ground and creates some dust clouds and nothing works.

The scooter has been far and away my most successful attempt but even still I’ve only gotten to 89.

Guess I will never get all the moons.

Anyone else have similar frustrations or any helpful tips?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd also like to know how the flying fresh hell it's possible to make it to 100.

That seems barely possible. I only got 39

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait until the volleyball challenge

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@afabs515: I was able to do 65 on my first try of volleyball, which is made way easier because the ball can bounce once and you can recover so long as it doesn't hit the ground again. You can also throw Capy to hit it which means you don't have to move a ton to hit the ball. I only stopped at 65 because that's when I got tired of doing it. Checked the leaderboard and saw that someone has over 18k hits and just laughed. Unless it's a glitch or hacked that means someone spent hours doing that and I just want to die thinking about how painful that must have been.

Just checked the WR for jump rope and it's 55,555 jumps and I just want to die. That seems so soul crushingly boring. I googled to see if this was recorded, because if your gonna spend that much of your life doing something as pointless as this you might as well record it so you have future proof for when Nintendo inevitably shuts down the online portion of Odyssey but nope it wasn't recorded.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I think you need to slowly adjust your rhythm as you jump, but I dunno 'cause I gave up on it pretty quickly. That and the volleyball challenge seem just terrible with how long it takes/how punishing it is when you fail.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@fakevox: @afabs515: Nope, way (okay, a little) easier than the jump rope (just play on co-op).

---

Yeah, I didn't beat that. I got to 77 and then I get nervous and I miss. I make it a little above fifty then lose it. Some recommendations are as far as I've seen, and you've mentioned, hit it when she says jump or when the rope hits the ground and you can see the dirt rise, you can also attempt to use the bike. It's really intense and hard to focus. I never quite figured out what the thing to focus on was. You almost kind of have to turn your brain off, or maybe the total opposite. I noticed that when my brother was talking to me and I talked back I did better. I saw how many someone got, and my first thought was 'so how did they cheat?' That's either really skill based, or shows how the game isn't perfect in its control as it is in many other ways because Mario starts jumping higher and it's extremely hard not to when it gets above fifty. It's not one I'll finish, but I'm done with the game anyway; got around 600 moons and I'm fine with that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fakevox: The jump rope one is less fun in my opinion. You're just standing there jumping, while volleyball you're moving around trying to get to the right position in time. Jump rope is just timing jumps.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

@goboard said:

@afabs515: I was able to do 65 on my first try of volleyball, which is made way easier because the ball can bounce once and you can recover so long as it doesn't hit the ground again. You can also throw Capy to hit it which means you don't have to move a ton to hit the ball. I only stopped at 65 because that's when I got tired of doing it. Checked the leaderboard and saw that someone has over 18k hits and just laughed. Unless it's a glitch or hacked that means someone spent hours doing that and I just want to die thinking about how painful that must have been.

Just checked the WR for jump rope and it's 55,555 jumps and I just want to die. That seems so soul crushingly boring. I googled to see if this was recorded, because if your gonna spend that much of your life doing something as pointless as this you might as well record it so you have future proof for when Nintendo inevitably shuts down the online portion of Odyssey but nope it wasn't recorded.

I really doubt that someone actually did 55,555 jumps, that sounds like a hack or someone programming a controller to do it for them or something.

In any case, I've been playing Mario Odyssey. It's fantastic, and I'll probably continue to poke away at it, but I rescued Peach and beat-up Bowser two hundred moons ago. There really doesn't appear to be a good reason to gather every last moon, so I'm probably just going to unlock whatever that final kingdom is, see what's up there, and then put it down.

swimbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my method:'I angle the camera so that the view is just above level to Mario and position the green scoreboard just slightly off-centre the right, and the parked cab in the background is right at the right edge of the screen. When you hit 50 jumps just lightly tap the button once the rope reaches the green scoreboard and don't even look at Mario. I did 112 to get the star before I got bored, and just trying it again before typing this post I got to 100 pretty easily.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once it got to > 50, I pretty much just tried to push the button as quickly as possible, i.e. jump as soon as Mario hits the ground, and make sure not to hold it down unnecessarily. This rhythm seemed to sync up pretty well with the speed of the rope. Another thing to keep in mind is that at this point, your "buffer" for slop due to slight delays is basically determined by how much earlier than the rope you are taking off, so try to avoid having the jump near the last possible moment as it ramps up to 50; ideally you're landing just after the rope passes under (maybe best bet is to split the difference and try to land when the rope is directly overhead).

Well anyway, it's not like you have to get it; if it's no fun just skip it. I'll never get a top-100 leaderboard place on any of the minigames, for example, and I'm fine with that.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you get a moon past 100 or is it just a leaderboard thing?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thinks back at ropeskipping in FF9

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dprotp

@ichthy said:

Do you get a moon past 100 or is it just a leaderboard thing?

there's a moon for 100, yeah

i knew all my years with mario party trained me for this!

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ichthy:Nope, there are videos of people going to 1000 and you get nothing more than an increase in your leaderboard rank. Anything past 100, which is already more than I ever care to try, just becomes a test of dexterity and stamina.

@justin258: It very well could be a hacked or cheat attempt for that one, but the volleyball one would be a lot harder to manipulate if it's done by programming the controller and using a camera. I did try looking into some of the top scores names and came up with this video for volleyball where they use the co-op controls to use Cappy and make it easier, although it would still take a long time for them to get the 5.6k. Even a lot of the 2nd-10th place scores are in the thousands or tens of thousands so you'd think that if people are going through the trouble of hacking the leaderboard or cheating in some way that there would be a lot more variation in the top positions. None of the race times for #1 seem impossible either so I'm inclined to believe, for volleyball at least, that people just have an unhealthy commitment to being top of the leaderboard.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

fuck this game

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no context for what this is but I really want to know if Dan “100%” Waithowdowyouspellhiastnamerycker? Completed these supposedly impossible tasks. If so I say y’all just need to get good because freakin’ DAN figured it out.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

the volleyball one sucks way more until i realized i could just stand in the middle of the square and throw my hat at the ball, it became very easy at that point but also super boring. also fuck the jump rope, i got it but it took way to long and sucked way to much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aa7cc9892e50
    deactivated-5aa7cc9892e50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My general tip for the Jump Rope (that isn't using the scooter) is kind of a simple yet awkward one. It personally worked for me when doing the 100 Rope Challenge to get the Power Moon, because without paying much attention I gotten over 200 Jumps before stopping on purpose at 250.

First your arm needs to be stiff/straightened out enough that you can freely move it forward and back, second keep your finger pointed straight or in a position/angle that you can press the button back and forth with ease, and lastly you need to listen for the first 50 jumps when the women says "Hey." It is a good indicator to go into a rhythm by 50 to keep up the same exact pace the whole way through till 100.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
    deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had trouble getting to 50 at first. But after I learned that you need to jump when the lady says hey, I got 100 the very next try. My switch was in handheld and I’ve heard that handheld mode has the lowest input lag, so maybe try that if you haven’t.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've given up on almost all Koopa races, jump rope (100) and volleyball (100) because I don't find those activities very fun. The Koopa races (save for a few tricks) are very frustrating and I just don't have the patience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tatsuyarr: The volley ball took me a few tries but I just out of curiosity tried it with the 2 Player Mode with controlling only Cappy, it becomes a cake walk since Cappy moves a lot faster.

@kmj2318: To add to that I seen people use the scooter to help with it, I tried it out afterwards getting 250 Jumps and I personally found it harder in an odd way.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the volleyball far harder than the jump rope.

For the jump rope, you just need to get to 50 and then just time each jump input to occur as soon as possible after landing from the preceding jump, and ensure that you only use quick presses so you're in the air for as short a time as possible. Sure I missed a bunch of times, and I got tangled in the lead-up to 50 because you can get yourself subtlely out-of-sync with the rope before it gets to full speed, but mostly it's the same kind of dull persistence you have to put in if you want to practice frame traps in a fighting game.

Volleyball wrecked me. It's slow to start up again after a failure (though spikes help), you're relying on Cappy a lot because Mario can be slow to accelerate and unwieldy if you run around in circles, it can be difficult to tell where the ball is going based on aerial position and shadow trajectory alone, and it can be really hard to aim Cappy correctly on some angles.

@tatsuyarr: Really? I've found that the Koopa races bring out some interesting movement techniques, and inspire some fun routing ideas. I've found that you can often beat the gold koopa by 5+ seconds if you combine some clever routing with a halfway decent run.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Volleyball was super easy even without 2-player mode; just stay in the middle and follow the shadow of the volleyball. If you are too far away, throw cappy and hold it in place to hit the ball. Easy.

Jumprope just sucks.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Tom_omb

The best I've gotten is 47. I'm also afraid to try because the face buttons on my right joycon occasionally are unresponsive. I'd hate to get to 99 and then not be able to jump. I'm playing detached.

@opusofthemagnum said:

I have no context for what this is but I really want to know if Dan “100%” Waithowdowyouspellhiastnamerycker? Completed these supposedly impossible tasks. If so I say y’all just need to get good because freakin’ DAN figured it out.

Dan did this particular challenge quite easily in the Quick Look. Also I don't think he 100%'d the game. He mentioned he didn't buy all the moons in the store at least.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was all set to get every shine in the game, but this challenge and two others have just completely bucked me off. The jump rope, the volleyball, and the final race in Shiveria are all I have left, but I don't think I'm ever going to do them because they're all just so incredibly aggravating. They are not even a little bit fun, which really sticks out and seems antithetical to the goals of the game at large.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

If people are still having a problem doing the jump rope challenge, there is an alternative method recently discovered.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was all set to get every shine in the game, but this challenge and two others have just completely bucked me off. The jump rope, the volleyball, and the final race in Shiveria are all I have left, but I don't think I'm ever going to do them because they're all just so incredibly aggravating. They are not even a little bit fun, which really sticks out and seems antithetical to the goals of the game at large.

I know this is an old post, but for you/anyone else struggling with the volleyball I saw this tip that helped me a lot: switch to 2 player mode, start the volleyball with mario then run him off the court and just do the entire thing with Cappy. Cappy has less momentum to him when switching directions, and his extra width when thrown means that you have a lot more leeway when trying to hit the ball. Was pretty frustrated trying to get to 100 but tried this method and got to 125 before failing on purpose, first try.

MisterEyeballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did the jump rope challenge in one try. I just kinda got lucky with my jump timing. But FUCK. THE. VOLLEYBALL. It's not even that hard but it takes so long to do a run that I just get frustrated and bored. I'm probably just not gonna try anymore. It's not worth it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@theloyaltraitor: like I said, if you haven't try doing it in 2 player mode and just control cappy. I was super frustrated too until I did that, and got it first try.

The shiveria race I found ok, even fun. Just gotta bounce all the time and take the right bounce angles off of walls.

BigWookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BigWookie

I finally managed to get this one yesterday but ended up using the Talkatoo glitch as that was more fun to master than banging my head against the wall that is the actual challenge. Only volleyball (getting closer with the cappy method but still not quite getting there) and the two class s "bounding" races to go. How it's possible for me to claim every other moon in the game before these final four I find hard to answer - they're just weirdly difficult! Thinking about it, all of them are asking you to master skills that are not required anywhere else in the game - they're one-off mini-games, really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.