Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Run

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 15, 2016

Nintendo's first official Mario game for mobile devices is a New Super Mario Bros.-inspired runner.

Nintendo to Develop Mario Runner for iPhone

• 73 results
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Seems like the Rayman phone games, and those were cool.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Ugh, so sick of that art style... They really need to change it up

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#53  Edited By BeachThunder

Nintendo really need to have their own handheld platform...

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@l33t_haxor: There's a Paper Mario game coming out next month. :P

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Lanechanger

Two words: Super Mario Run = Super Mario Fun. *drops mic*

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

This will totally work on me.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't see this getting people to buy hardware or wanting to play traditional Mario. Pokemon Go was substantially different from traditional Pokemon games in not just gameplay but also aesthetics. Go was mechanically ingress not an rpg and was visually sparse as opposed to traditional pokemon games that have some kind of world to explore. More so ingress is multiplayer while traditional Pokemon is singleplayer. Pokemon Go and traditional Pokemon are vastly different experiences.

This Mario game is still a platformer. The game also has the exact aesthetics of a normal Mario game. The only difference is the style of platforming which the mass majority won't notice or care about. More so this style is generally easier or in the very least feels easier so for most this style will feel like an improvement over traditional Mario instead of a reduced thing.

I really can't see this boosting sales like Pokemon Go did although it makes sense for them to make this even without that possibility considering the NX likely has a touch only mode so games like this would be good for filling out the functionality of that mode.

vegeta897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomstranger: Why would it have to?

What is the link between Pokemon Go's departure in style and gameplay and it boosting sales? You seem to establish one without explaining why. Why can't a game that doesn't have such a departure also succeed in selling hardware? Obviously this won't be nearly as big of a hit as Pokemon Go, but not because it's similar to existing Mario games. Pokemon Go was simply a really appealing idea that people could easily get addicted to. It really had nothing to do with how similar or different it was to previous Pokemon games.

scottiedo22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I am missing something, but why isnt this game in landscape mode? Surely being able to see more of the horizontal space of the level is advantageous.

I think the Rayman runner mobile games are pretty damn great and super pretty. I hope this Mario version meets that high bar.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Nasar7

Finally. This will print money.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If it every comes to Android I will give it a go. Yay for mobile platform exclusives.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Will $99.99 be the best value when I purchase my Mushroom Kingdom gems and coin doublers???

red720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like the 'New' Super Mario Bros. look. I wonder if there'll be a Super Mario World or Mario 3 skin I can download for a small fee?

ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegeta897: I'm not talking about how successful the app itself will be but specifically if it has the potential to have a knock on effect and sell more traditional Mario games which is Nintendo's stated goal for getting into mobile. With Pokemon Go being different from a traditional Pokemon in such a drastic sense it gives more reason for a given mainstream Go user to check out a traditional Pokemon game because it offers something Go doesn't have. The thing that traditional Mario games have over this product, the thing that's supposed to convince people to get Nintendo hardware, is the type of platforming which isn't as drastic enough a difference in the eyes of the mainstream.

There's little reason for a mainstream customer of this app to go engage with the Nintendo ecosystem for a traditional Mario game where as with Pokemon GO there was a plethora of reasons to get a traditional Pokemon game.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason I find it amazing that Miyamoto himself was on the Apple stage selling this.

The man has had an interesting career and an interesting life.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@scottiedo22: One of the design goals of this game is the ability to play it entirely with one hand. That's much easier to do in a portrait orientation.

There's little reason for a mainstream customer of this app to go engage with the Nintendo ecosystem for a traditional Mario game where as with Pokemon GO there was a plethora of reasons to get a traditional Pokemon game.

You are assuming reason from the mainstream customer. When the NES Classic Edition exists and one of the reasons that is expected to sell well is a person going, "Oh yeah, Nintendo!"

What I'm getting at is that Nintendo is betting on brand exposure being more powerful and prevalent than scrutinized purchasing. I know I've bought enough dumb shit over the years to think Nintendo might be right in this regard.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man they are totally stealing assets from Flappy Bird

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This kind of marketing message was last seen in a commercial from a totally different entertainment business. Good on you, Nintendo, for taking a huge leap towards a more mature audience.
    This kind of marketing message was last seen in a commercial from a totally different entertainment business. Good on you, Nintendo, for taking a huge leap towards a more mature audience.

ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eribuster: Hmmm I guess I wasn't thinking in the more general sense of reviving Nintendo's brand overall. Good point.

mentalconflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Regarding the strategy to drive new players toward Nintendo's own platforms with this game, I think it goes deeper than brand exposure.

I say they're banking on the hope that the players will reach a certain level of mastery with this one, then become inclined to graduate to their more complex and challenging (so, inherently more interesting) core games.

A smart move would be to put a runner mode in Super Mario Maker, and integrate the course-sharing network into this.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks, Jeff

I'm excited about giantbomb.com's new mobile-centric focus. I mean you guys have a good thing going, but why continue when you can fuck it up and embrace the latest trends?!

Panzerfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still not avalible in my country :P

gewoonenjel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6288 2397 2689 add me !

Cosa Nostra

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.