Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 04, 1995

A spin-off of the Super Mario platforming series, Yoshi's Island puts players in control of a tribe of Yoshies as they guide the infant Mario past the forces of the evil Kamek.

Screw Jeff & Ryan, Yoshi's Island is the the bomb.

• 120 results
    Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Cubical

Yoshi island is Also not a super Mario world game in Japan they never said it was it is not labeled as super Mario world 2 that is for dumb Americans who keep falling for that even to this day apparently when it is obvious it is not. A super Mario world label is not found anywhere on the Japanese cartridge or marketing. It as labeled “Super Mario’s Yoshi’s island” meaning it is a super mario spin off game on yoshi’s island.

Because the USA branch stuck the label on it for marketing reasons and people still don’t know any better it has long since been removed from any other version of them game put out.

It is about as official super mario world game as lugi’s mansion or mario tennis is.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Heard that part of the bombcast last night. Didn't realize he had such a burning hatred for it. Weird.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@cubical said:

Yoshi island is Also not a super Mario world game in Japan they never said it was it is not labeled as super Mario world 2 that is for dumb Americans who keep falling for that even to this day apparently when it is obvious it is not. A super Mario world label is not found anywhere on the Japanese cartridge or marketing. It as labeled “Super Mario’s Yoshi’s island” meaning it is a super mario spin off game on yoshi’s island.

Because the USA branch stuck the label on it for marketing reasons and people still don’t know any better it has long since been removed from any other version of them game put out.

It is about as official super mario world game as lugi’s mansion or mario tennis is.

This is mostly true, but Yoshi's Island was still born out of development of a Super Mario World sequel. They set out to make a World 2, and by the end of development it was Yoshi's Island. While I agree that "Super Mario World 2" probably shouldn't be part of the title, it's not completely wrong or made up or anything.

Furthermore, your assertion that Nintendo of America were like these crazy rogue agents in changing the title is weird and kind of short-sighted. Nintendo is still ultimately one entity and the higher-ups could have denied it if they felt it wasn't justified. Like it or not, Nintendo sold that game to a large part of their customers as World 2, and if they're upset about that you can't just say "shut up, you idiot, it never was!"

And c'mon, Yoshi's Island is WAY closer to Mario World than Luigi's Mansion or Tennis; that's just dumb.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#104  Edited By benspyda

Yoshi's Island is my favorite Mario game! Although I'm not much of a Mario or Nintendo fan so take that as you will.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By EXTomar

How anyone can believe someone wrong about their own opinion is still a baffling position to me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@extomar said:

How anyone can believe someone wrong about their own opinion is still a baffling position to me.

All these years I thought I liked Yoshi's Island because it was fun, but now that Jeff says it completely blows.. well.. how could I be so blind and wrong all these years!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That also applies to your own opinion. :) It might be a strange idea for some but it is possible that two different people can hold two different opinions about the same thing. Neither is correct because it turns out there is nothing 'correct' about that idea.

As I wrote earlier I always held that Yoshi's Island was a let down. That doesn't mean it is bad but it was billed as some sort of followup either purposefully or accidentally and it just doesn't do that.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

@bog said:

<-------- May I direct you to the top wiki editor.

Yeah, Yoshi's Island is the bomb. Best platformer ever created. This is fact.

True that. Since then, I think the closest any game has come to being as excellent of a platformer (for me, at least) would have to be Rayman Origins.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I honestly think it's one of the greatest games ever made. Man, I love Yoshi's Island.

I'm a little stunned at the negative responses to the game in here. Honestly, Baby Mario's crying was the only thing that I hated about the game, but it just made me play more carefully to avoid getting hit and getting him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

NowSayPillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Yoshi's Island, it's an incredibly well made platformer. Hated the DS sequel though, hopefully the new game is more like the original than the sequel.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

naa it sucks dicktits.

WGrimmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By WGrimmer

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed with Yoshi's Island as well. I took note of the following flaws while playing:

- The art style had a good and interesting color theory. I was used to the boring, bland color theory applied in the previous Mario World. I mean, take a look at the first level of each game as an example. In Yoshi's Island, you walk through a flower patch with pink, yellow, and orange flowers. This is ridiculous. By contrast, in Super Mario World, you walk through a completely flat green plane with light blue hills and dark blue hills on a blue sky background. Thank God Nintendo went back to that ultra-bland aesthetic in the New Super Mario Bros. games. I missed it. To Nintendo: Please make more personality-free Mario games in the future.

- The bosses were huge and varied. This isn't following in the footsteps of the previous game. Super Mario World had small bosses and half of them were palette swaps with a small twist added. An utter disappointment. Also, where was a boss like Reznor!?!? Hello? I happen to enjoy fighting the exact same boss numerous times. Remember how many times you fought Boom-Boom in Super Mario Bros. 3? Yeah? Way to completely drop the ball by making your game less repetitive, Nintendo.

- Again, they cut down on the repetitive nature of the game by - get this - allowing you to get every secret in a level without having to replay the level again . Imagine if in Super Mario World they allowed you to simply continue on with the stage when you found a secret key. And then... ha ha... both the normal path and the secret path opened up!? Can you imagine this? Sadly, Rare applied this same intelligent design of letting you get 100% in a level in one go in the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. That was pretty upsetting.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yoshi's Island is completely rad, and I tend to play it regularly.

Also I can completely accept that someone wouldn't like it. Jeez.

darthbator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By darthbator

My favorite thing is community members with tons of posts and points going on and on about how the giant bomb staff knows jack about video games. Why are you even here if that's your general thought? I mean really the reason to follow smaller outlets like this is because you agree with their opinions more often then not and they can act as a sort of general barometer of where you should throw your gaming money and time. The entire notion of some manner of objective orthodxy of "judging good games" is absurd to me.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Jeff is a crazy person.

sdcoiner76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By sdcoiner76

I loved Yoshi's Island. I probably like it better than Super Mario World. The real downer was Yoshi's Story, that game just didn't hold up against Yoshi's Island and it was super short.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

@donpixel said:

naa it sucks dicktits.

I disagree with you, but I laughed at this.

dahnosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#122  Edited By dahnosaur

don't understand it at all. my favorite 2D platformer of all time. the level design is just so great. and unlike SMW (which is number 2 in my book), the boss battles are great.

I understand the hate for baby mario -- that part of the game sucks. but how can you hate the art style? it's gorgeous.

I can only hope that Patrick comes to its defense on next week's Bombcast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.