Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Team Fortress 3

Avatar image for thewalkingdemon
    TheWalkingDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheWalkingDemon

Do you think that the whole TF2 going F2P means something? TF2 is undoubtedly going to be around for a while, but do you think that the whole F2P move means something?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By 49th

If anything I think it means that they are going to try to extend the life span of TF2 as much as possible. Don't expect TF3 any time soon.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

It means it now has 4 times as many players playing at any one time than it did before it went F2P.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Does it mean something related to Team Fortress 3? No. What it means is that Valve saw that everyone who was ever going to buy TF2 had already bought it, and the best way to make money from it would be to give it away for free and sell things via microtransactions.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By wunder_

Yes

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By desolation15

The community for TF2 is pretty strong at the moment. Given that they're snarky and cultish over the game, I'd put my money on we'll not see tf3 for a long while. Besides those hats are making Valve the big bucks at the moment, why rock the boat?

Finalwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Finalwish

Means they turned a cash cow in to an even bigger cash cow. steam + TF2 = they can take 10 years to make every game

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Grissefar

That's a wierd question and I'm not sure what you mean, or if TF3 was a typo, so maybe next time you should re-read your questions before posting them. Therefore I will just explain what F2P means, if maybe that is what you ask: F2P means that the game is free and that it is funded by microtransactions which award various bonuses. For this reason, the barrier to entry is very low, thus attracting a lot of players but still making a profit from the ~10% of players who use the microtransactions.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

It means they want more people to play so they can make money off microtransactions. Team Fortress 3 will not happen for a very long time. 10 years seems reasonable.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Deusx

TF3 is NEVER going to be released. Valve knows they can't have a game like that again and they are not going to take the risk. Half-Life 2 ep 3 or even Half-Life 3 have better chances to be released than TF3.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By rentfn

Yes it will be packed in with Half Life 2 Episode 3. You will get both for free if you buy the Back to the Future 4 blu-ray combo pack...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it means free to play Dota 2.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By benjaebe

We all know Valve can't make a third game in any series. Don't be silly.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @benjaebe said:
    That's not true. There was that one g-...hmmm. But then there was another time when...well, how about when they did ummm...that thing...with the uhh-

Damn.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DystopiaX

@Deusx said:

TF3 is NEVER going to be released. Valve knows they can't have a game like that again and they are not going to take the risk. Half-Life 2 ep 3 or even Half-Life 3 have better chances to be released than TF3.

No, they see an enormous cash cow in TF2 and want to do it again in TF3. Valve, like Blizzard, just has their own time schedule for things, but when has a corporation seen potential for an assload of money and said "no thanks, we don't think fans will want this?"

Also, TF3 will be awhile but it'll happen...and it won't be F2P. That would be stupid when there are millions of people willing to pay for it.

Avatar image for thewalkingdemon
    TheWalkingDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheWalkingDemon

I agree that TF2 won't be around for 10 years minimum. TFC was around forever as well 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By FreakAche

Don't you remember the old saying? Valve can't count to 3.

thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thespartandon

@Deusx said:

Couldn't of said it better myself.

The PC Community is an already hardcore crowd. The players themselves (including myself) have also a lot invested into TF2 including Weapons, Hat's etc. I hate to abandon the items I'd earned through the past.

I feel like a third game would spark the same harsh response that the L4D2 announcement got (the whole Boycott thing) I think I speak for most TF2 players when I say 'we don't want to see a TF3 at all.'

Major Updates to the Games Formula (Trading, Crafting, Hats etc.) have all been patched into the game. I don't see how Valve come up with anymore features that would warrant a TF3, not when a game-changing feature can be simply be patched into the existing game.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@benjaebe said:

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By DjCmeP

@Deusx said:

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jmfinamore
    @MattyFTM said:

Does it mean something related to Team Fortress 3? No. What it means is that Valve saw that everyone who was ever going to buy TF2 had already bought it, and the best way to make money from it would be to give it away for free and sell things via microtransactions.

Truth. Also, I'm sure they wanted to have a free pass at testing F2P. With rumors that Dota2 will be F2P and indications that Valve is interested in the format (it's a huge money maker, they have to be), it essentially let's them try it out with no real risks. 
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By endless_void
    @Deusx said:
    Wait what? There are many ways valve could improve TF2. TF3 seems like an obvious game for them to make. Remember L4D2? No one say that game would be getting the sequel, but it did. TF3 may not come before HL3 but I'm sure it's only a few years off.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous

@MattyFTM said:

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By valrog

I think it means their next game (Not Team Fortress 3) is going to be based on a Free2Play model.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By project343

TF2's redesigned business model, I think, establishes the game as a platform--something so much more than a single yearly title. They will expand and explore, but they will not succeed the Team Fortress experience for another decade.

Right now, Valve has an incredibly committed army of consumers behind them. The last thing they would want to do is segment that audience and throw away their years of investment with their product.

'Team Fortress 3' is a terrible business decision while TF2 remains so relevant to so many.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By BoG

If we get a third entry, I expect it will be released by the time my children are in their teens. I'm not married, and don't have children currently.
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ChillyUK7

If Team Fortress 3 were to happen, eventually im sure it will, what sort of art style should it adopt? I love the current art style but it would be nice to see something different in the new game.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aishan
    @ChillyUK7 said:
    If Team Fortress 3 were to happen, eventually im sure it will, what sort of art style should it adopt? I love the current art style but it would be nice to see something different in the new game.
    Sidescroller with recoloured Mega-Man sprites.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog
    @ChillyUK7 said:

I want something over the top like this one. Imagine if they pulled a realistic art style. Soooo wrong. Also, hats.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

ALSO

nope.avi

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Yanngc33

TF 3, Q4 2022 you heard it here first folks

marcustorrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By marcustorrent

Many people are heavily invested financially in TF2 with Unusuals and are buying new games if they have a tie in for TF2. Valve has it pretty sweet and aren't likely to rock the boat; Anything that could be in TF3 could be patched into TF2 without losing a significant portion of the user base.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By droop

Half Life 3 will be a Facebook game.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

Team Fortress 3? Silly people, Valve doesn't do the number 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

TF3 should just be a remake of Hatris.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spoonman671

I do not understand what you're asking at all.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Shabs

TF2 in some ways is Team Fortress 3.

The scope of TF2 was pretty tight at first - 9 classes, 6 maps, tight controls, good balance.

They took this and managed to evolve it with countless new features both beneficial to Valve as a business and taking in to consideration fans' requests (to a crazy level). This evolution I would argue is broader in scope than most sequels - they just implemented it over top of the earlier game for free.

Free-to-play actually works to extend the game's life... you keep all of the existing users who are probably in deep with the microtransactions at this point, and supplement the player base with free players drawn in by promotional items.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.