Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Welp, it was fun

• 68 results
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Akrid
    @ColumnBreaker said:

@Akrid said:

Yay knee-jerk reactions... You're jumping to conclusions.

I'm not, though. While this last update certainly influenced my decision, if you read my post you'd know that it's been a slow burn. I don't think it's mere coincidence that the first substantial update they put out after the game is made free to play is also easily the most suspect update the game has seen. Balancing arguments aside, the rocket launcher and the projectiles it fires cause severe frame rate drops because the model itself is around 4000 polygons, and the projectiles are entirely made of particle effects that are clearly not optimized. Add on top of that the lackluster animations included with the update and I don't think it's wrong to be suspicious of Valve giving the update duties to a B team now that the game is free to play. A last effort to make some money with a 4 year old game and move important development resources elsewhere.

How the hell has it been a slow burn? This is the first weapon update since F2P and you immediately quit, assuming that Valve is trying to squeeze more money out of people. That's pure conjecture. As for the optimization, well, it's easy for a modeler to lose sight of those things when they haven't touched a shitty computer in years.

They fucked up the balance a bit, like they have oh so many times in the past. They'll fix it. You're a fool for jumping ship as soon as you see the wave. And as other people have stated, it's not that powerful. I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but it sounds like if they took out that 5th rocket I'd rather use my black box.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By SpecTackle

@Akrid said:

@ColumnBreaker said:

@Akrid said:

I'm not, though. While this last update certainly influenced my decision, if you read my post you'd know that it's been a slow burn. I don't think it's mere coincidence that the first substantial update they put out after the game is made free to play is also easily the most suspect update the game has seen. Balancing arguments aside, the rocket launcher and the projectiles it fires cause severe frame rate drops because the model itself is around 4000 polygons, and the projectiles are entirely made of particle effects that are clearly not optimized. Add on top of that the lackluster animations included with the update and I don't think it's wrong to be suspicious of Valve giving the update duties to a B team now that the game is free to play. A last effort to make some money with a 4 year old game and move important development resources elsewhere.

How the hell has it been a slow burn? This is the first weapon update since F2P and you immediately quit, assuming that Valve is trying to squeeze more money out of people. That's pure conjecture. As for the optimization, well, it's easy for a modeler to lose sight of those things when they haven't touched a shitty computer in years.

They fucked up the balance a bit, like they have oh so many times in the past. They'll fix it. You're a fool for jumping ship as soon as you see the wave. And as other people have stated, it's not that powerful. I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but it sounds like if they took out that 5th rocket I'd rather use my black box.

It was a slow burn as in the updates leading up to the F2P initiative I didn't care for either. And about the weapon designs - no, that's called laziness. Sweet of you to defend their laziness though, I'd think after putting out this many updates if it were the same people responsible they'd have a nice checklist in mind as to what's fucking acceptable for this game and this engine. I'm a fool for jumping ship on a game I've played to death when I realize they're going in a direction I simply don't care for? You're projecting.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SpecTackle

@benjaebe said:

It needs a little balancing but it's not that bad. I still prefer the regular rocket launcher.I never tire of seeing people "give up" on TF2 after every single update and have recently started blaming all the new updates (which have been awesome, mind you) on the game going F2P.

Nice of you to state an observation you enjoy.. observing? If you're able to refute one's reasons for tiring of a game I'd love to hear it.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By endless_void

This game is finally turning sour for me :(

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By fripplebubby

First off, I bet a balance patch is coming. Secondly, there were three rocket ships and the comic only depicted the finding of one, so there is speculation that there will be more weapons to balance it out. Though I agree that the cow mangler is OP as all hell, it will be resolved. 

Gentlegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Gentlegamer
    @Sitoxity: I guess you're right about flare gun, but at least that's the pyro setting enemies of fire. Letting the soldier do it is invading another class's space. Plus, soldier can rocket jump to areas to "snipe" from that a pyro can never reach under normal circumstances.

The good news is that it looks like the new lazers aren't being spammed on the giantbomb server. So that's something.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TotalEklypse

I quit in December I believe. After amassing every Vintage hat, every special hat/promo, Every hat in game and 4 top tier unusuals lol.  

When I quit I sold them for around 2000$. I knew it was time to get while the getting was good. Noticed this update and read up on the weapons..  kinda saddened by it. This is just a really cheesy direction to take a once great game. Ah well we all leave it at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Give me all your hats!

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TheChaos
    @musclerider said:

As soon as I saw that video I just had to jump in and make one of those for myself...

I think I might be missing the point.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Akrid
    @ColumnBreaker said:

@Akrid said:

@ColumnBreaker said:

@Akrid said:

How the hell has it been a slow burn? This is the first weapon update since F2P and you immediately quit, assuming that Valve is trying to squeeze more money out of people. That's pure conjecture. As for the optimization, well, it's easy for a modeler to lose sight of those things when they haven't touched a shitty computer in years.

They fucked up the balance a bit, like they have oh so many times in the past. They'll fix it. You're a fool for jumping ship as soon as you see the wave. And as other people have stated, it's not that powerful. I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but it sounds like if they took out that 5th rocket I'd rather use my black box.

It was a slow burn as in the updates leading up to the F2P initiative I didn't care for either. And about the weapon designs - no, that's called laziness. Sweet of you to defend their laziness though, I'd think after putting out this many updates if it were the same people responsible they'd have a nice checklist in mind as to what's fucking acceptable for this game and this engine. I'm a fool for jumping ship on a game I've played to death when I realize they're going in a direction I simply don't care for? You're projecting.

If you felt the game was unbalanced before this update, I certainly don't understand but I can respect that. You didn't explicitly state such a thing in your original post, so you can see why I'd call it a knee-jerk reaction lacking this information. And no, slow burn did not clue me in as you intended it to. I apologize for the mis-communication.

And yeah, totally lazy. I'm just trying to think of the reason it happened, that's all.
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jmfinamore

As someone who comes back to TF2 every few months, I'm kind of mixed about the updates. On the one hand, I love that they added the variety and I've never felt like I was at a huge disadvantage. On the other hand, sometimes I felt like I was underpowered and the system seemed to daunting to really bother with.  

With that said, I think I would much prefer to just find a good vanilla server and play there. The original game was great in my opinion, didn't need all the extras. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By crusader8463

This has been my experience with TF2 since it went Pay2Win, and after 5 back to back games tonight of the same stupid shit soldiers spamming those dam guns they bought  I think I'm done too.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By crazyleaves

Welp, one less dude to shoot in the face. Guess you'll go play that super-balanced stylish class-based shooter. What was that called again? Happy trails!

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By salad10203

You'll be back, they always come back.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By BombKareshi

When they introduced the Huntsman, everybody and their cousin went Sniper and spammed arrows.
    When they introduced the Chargin' Targe and the Eyelander, everybody and their mom went Demo Knight.
    Now they introduce ray guns and every Soldier goes space marine.

It only seems overpowered because everyone is using it. It's not the first time something like this has happened. I mean, I got annoyed myself when everyone spammed that awful charging attack, but I have to admit, the weapon is not overpowered. If anything, it's underpowered. I played my bro's Medic last night while he went vanilla Soldier, and he totally tore those Commander Keen wannabes to shreds.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @BombKareshi said:
    When they introduced the Huntsman, everybody and their cousin went Sniper and spammed arrows. When they introduced the Chargin' Targe and the Eyelander, everybody and their mom went Demo Knight. Now they introduce ray guns and every Soldier goes space marine.  It only seems overpowered because everyone is using it. It's not the first time something like this has happened. I mean, I got annoyed myself when everyone spammed that awful charging attack, but I have to admit, the weapon is not overpowered. If anything, it's underpowered. I played my bro's Medic last night while he went vanilla Soldier, and he totally tore those Commander Keen wannabes to shreds.
    Again ill say it. That video shown is vs bots. when I played vs it (and with someone on out team had it) I was not killed by it and barely saw it really being OP. Its kind was easy to dodge and when  I hot hit by it i really did not notice it doing super amounts of damage. 
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I just downloaded this game last night and I've had no problems with any guns being over powered.  Great game.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This rocket launcher just seems like a slower, weaker Direct Hit with unlimited ammo (and I rarely run out of ammo as Soldier anyway). Vanilla still owns for a lot of classes imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.